Exercises for plantar fasciitis?

Options
2»

Replies

• Linnaea27
    Linnaea27 Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    Definitely do exercises that keep you off your feet when the pain is really bad; also, have you tried bike riding? I have mild plantar fasciitis that flares up sometimes-- usually when I have bought new shoes and have started being on my feet/exercising more. One strange thing that really, really helps it to heal is to make sure that your feet remain at a right angle, or close to it, to your leg when you are sleeping. I read when I first got PF that a contributing factor is sleeping with your feet squashed down by heavy bedcovers, so they are in a pointed position. Preventing that is very important to healing the problem and keeping it from coming back. The reason the pointed, straight position of the feet all night contributes to plantar fasciitis is because the plantar fascia gets accustomed to being in a non-stretched position all night, and that makes it more susceptible to stretching out and breaking during the day. Wearing high heels often also predisposes one to this problem, for the same reason.

I've seen foot braces for nighttime wear to help heal this issue, but an ace bandage wrapped a certain way to keep my foot at more of a right angle, as well as lighter bedcovers, helps me.

Shoes or shoe inserts with high arch supports and lower heel areas are very bad for PF; they stretch the plantar fascia out even more. Try some different inserts or even different shoes. Get better soon! This is a really miserable problem to have! :(
  • kayduro
    kayduro Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

You are incorrect. "Average" weight people can and do develop plantar fasciitis. I was 60lbs lighter when I went through a two year bout of this.

[/quote]

Thank you for correcting me. I just read that being overweight is just ONE cause.
  • Health_Temple
    Options
    Get a can of vegetables. Roll your foot gently over the can for about 5 minutes or so. This stretches and relaxes the foot. Literally, you can feel the foot ease it's tension. Do this faithfully every night. (You can buy foot rollers but the veggie can is cheaper and works just as well)

Hubby does this with a frozen water bottle and it does help. . I don't know for sure but I don't think average weight people get PF (correct me if I'm wrong) so eventually it does go away as you lose the lbs.

When I got it I was 135 lbs and HWP
  • Health_Temple
    Options
    I would NOT get steroids or even use an insole. That's covering the problem and not helping it its an aspirin. Just massage with one of the said items above or a small ball (I did it so it was painful but I had to because I was forced to run every day). If you use an insole it won't help you strengthen your feet muscles and tendons making them weaker and rely in insoles. Skip them massages out your feet. My pf hasn't been back and it's been a few years!
  • lauly101
    lauly101 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I've not been to a doc about mine but it started just as soon as I decided to start loosing weight and started being more active. I did insanity in my trainers (cheap crappy ones) and a few days later kaboom. Agony. I stopped wearing the trainers for my workout as I figured that had started it and just stretched it out and massaged it. I stood with my toes on the end of a step and raised and lowered myself (this is what worked for me, non medical intervention just what I felt was right so it's not medically sound). I also give it a cheeky press and rub when it needs it, but it is hurty when I press it but after much relaxed. I don't have a car and it was recommended to not walk and to have slightly heeled shoes but I walk 4 miles in total every day and am a teacher so am on my feet lots. I also have a bunion on the other foot so an terribly limited with regards to shoe types I can wear (which is coincidentally doing my head in coz I want pretty shoes for my birthday). I just put bits of sponge in the heels of my pf shoe to lift the heel and be comfy when walking which has helped immeasurably. Again, I must stress that this was not medically recommended I just looked it up on line and did what I could do within my means. Good luck with yours, mine is much better but still there, so there is light at the end of the tunnel.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Since it's many times a plantar strain, exercise for it should really be backed off, it's a damaged tendon, and should be allowed to heal. That's why ice can help at first, or often if you get damaging it.

That being said, awfully hard to do when every step uses it.

I had to get orthopedic insoles for every shoe I wore, especially stiffer ones, so it wasn't being used nearly as much.
    But, I only paid the Dr for one, paid attention to how he did the foam imprint, and then got a thin cycling pair by doing my own through mail-order.
    There was also a business in town that had a simpler, cheaper, and quicker version, stand on form that has a grid of pins that comes up that is almost continuous. The end result looked exactly like the 4 x as expensive Dr office version. My mailorder one was same cheaper price, but very low profile and carbon fiber. Ohhh.

That finally allowed me to heal, as well as backing off weight bearing exercise like running. The ice and rolling were a little relief, but mostly after doing too much on it.
    The night stretch boot was decent help too.
    I've been noticing it a bit on squats and deadlifts though, so thinking of getting them in to my lifting shoes.

Progressed enough and healed enough I could do barefoot running, which really strengthened it up then. But had to heal first.
    And it took lots of time.
    I still wear the insoles in the stiffest dress shoes and cycling shoes since they don't bend like the foot would like to. But any other shoe is flat bottomed.

Steroids didn't help enough, mainly because Dr was trying to work with me to allow me to keep doing lots of exercise. His final comment of "we can cut a piece of the band and that should bring relief" was like no way - it's there for a reason. I backed off.

I will say, once I healed from initial injury, latter injury through my stupidity was much quicker, and it was plantar sprain, couldn't push off walking, couldn't engage calf muscle. Did a little bit too much barefoot running at too fast a pace because it was just feeling so good. Oops.
  • PghPensFan69
    PghPensFan69 Posts: 2,393 Member
    Options
    Bump to read tomorrow
  • wannakimmy
    wannakimmy Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    Freeze a water bottle and roll your foot gently over it for several minutes a couple of times a day.
    Stretch several times a day --- sit on the floor, legs out in front of you. Grab a bath towel and pull your foot back toward your body using the towel. Do this in 20-30 second intervals for 2-3 minutes and do this several times a day and before you get out of bed in the AM.. You need to stretch the rubberband-like tendon that tightens up during the night.
    I suffered from it for a while before I knew what it was. Weightloss has probably helped, too, I imagine. With the weightloss of 20-25 over time plus the icing and stretching for a couple of weeks, I don't have any PF pain any longer.
    Hang in there -- it is awfully painful! But you can remedy it and feel better.

This^^^
    I also wear dansko shoes, they take a bit to get used to, but do seem to help. I also swim as my exercise, there is no pain for me while swimming. If you can keep up with the stretching and ice bottle rolling, it should improve. I also have noticed as I take off weight, it hurts less.

Good luck OP!
  • rljohnsufl
    Options
    All the tips for curing PF are great, but I think what the OP was asking was "how do you exercise and burn calories while suffering from PF".

I've had PF for about a year. I am beyond tired of it. I went to a podiatrist and he told me I could do the following for exercise:

-spin classes but stay in the saddle. That's difficult but I'm trying. I have noticed foot pain when I do standing climbs.

- swimming, of course.

-weight training that involves standing still or not on feet

-hula hooping standing still (podiatrist didn't recommend this but I assume it's okay since I'm standing still)

No walking, no stair climbing (though 1 flight isn't a problem), no elliptical, and of course no running.

Anyone else have suggestions on what exercise to do while you have PF?
  • bane0317
    bane0317 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    stretch you feet BEFORE you get out of bed in the morning. sounds crazy but it was easier to get them to stretch then and it really reduced the pain when I stood up. I would try to point my toes as far up toward my head as possible which stretched out the tendon. Anything to make it stop feeling like someone is stabbing me in the bottom of my foot whenever I put weight on them!
  • Kadoober
    Kadoober Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    PF has pretty much consumed me for the past few months. I've had it for ages, but it was manageable, and then i started running. And because that's how I roll, I of course overdid it, and the PF kicked into high gear. I've tried SO many things, but the one thing that has made all the difference in the world is this simple stretch. (I have attached a link, that I have watched but could NOT hear, fyi. I have no idea what they are saying, but this matches the stretch I've been doing).

I do stretch 10 times on each foot, for 10 seconds each time, 3 times a day. A set before I set foot on the ground in the morning, a set when I get home, and a set before bed. So simple, easy, and effective! I realized last night that the natural flexibility of the plantar side of my feet has returned, they don't feel like little tense bits of fury anymore. I've only been doing these for about 2 weeks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvW4kKBPq2Q

I also avoid walking barefoot. This part I hate, as I feel that shoes are evil, but it is also helping.

I'm still exercising, and it is manageable. PF takes a long time to heal, so whatever treatment is working for you, be prepared to maintain it for a long time.

Also, see if you can find out what the root cause is for it, for you. While everyone has the same group of symptoms, the cause may vary. I have a combination of calf trigger points, and an IT band adhesion on my left thigh that has thrown my gait out of whack, and caused over pronation of my ankle. So I need to address those issues as well, or the PF will just keep kicking my butt.

Finally, I can assure you, massage therapists are not focusing their attention on your body with their eyes. I promise you this!
  • maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    I am so sorry you are suffering from PF. It is incredibly painful. I had it for many months a few years ago. The only things that helped me were the custom orthotics and the stretching exercises. I religiously wore my orthotics for years and did the proscribed stretches daily.
    I can now walk barefoot in the summer for longer stretches of time, and wear nicer shoes without the orthotics for a day or two here and there. I also am able to run now without having my orthotics in my running shoes. I am pain free.
  • ATT949
    ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    2 months ago i woke up and found that soon as I stepped on my feet it would hurt this went on for 2 days it got so bad that I has to crawl to the bathroom, I went to the ER and they said it was plantar fasciitis and that I should take Advil and use inserts I did this and it got even worse! My feet were so swollen and I couldn't move my legs i went back to the ER and I ended up staying for 4 days.. They gave me steroids and anti inflammatory. They said it was my autoimmune system, and that they never seen anything like it before. 2 weeks later I went out of town and was doing some shopping and I got a pain in my foot when I got back to my hotel I couldn't move my leg again. I got back into town went strait to the ER once again and they put me back on those meds it went Away again . And now again it's been 2 weeks and I just started getting back into my work out and my feet are hurting again... I'm taking Advil and I'm wearing the shoes the dr recommended the pain is maybe a 4 but I'm afraid to push my self I was wondering if anyone else has the same problems if so what workouts do you recommend? While all this was happening I ended up gaining 10 pounds in one month but I was still eating healthy it's so frustrating, and defeating!

I have a hard time losing weight as it is ! It took me a year to lose 40 pounds and I started at 300!

Refer to this site - I've been running for almost 3 years and have read a huge numbers of sites. This is the best I've found.

http://www.runningwritings.com/p/the-injury-series.html