Weight loss plateau - Am I building muscle

Options
2»

Replies

• vincents697
    vincents697 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I recently had the very same problem. I was barely getting in 1200 calories per day and walking 6 miles 5 days per week with absolutely no weight loss. The answer for me was to increase my calories. Looks like your simply not eating enough. Once I bumped up to 1400 calories I lost 3.6 lbs the following week. Here is a calorie calculator that I found helpful. http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm Good Luck!
  • vincents697
    Options
    FYI: I stick with the calories I am alloted each day. I never eat the extra calories earned with exercise.
  • LianaG1115
    LianaG1115 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    1000 - 1250 a day

You ain't eating enough to even build any muscle...you've put yourself in starvation mode.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    FYI: I stick with the calories I am alloted each day. I never eat the extra calories earned with exercise.

are you using MFP's method or TDEE?
  • vincents697
    Options
    You must be kidding? lol I have no idea what that means. I started w/ 1200 calories per day. I never ate what I consider "my exercise points". Once I hit my plateau I used the calculator I posted above to figure out my calorie allotment and it worked. I have no idea what method was used, all I know is that it worked.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    How long has it been since you've seen a drop on the scale?

Don't ignore the questions people are asking you. There's a reason I asked this one up above. The answer to this question will determine what kind of advice is going to be useful for you.

Weight loss is not linear. Our weight fluctuates around 3-5 pounds from day to day. Carbs, stress, exercise, dehydration, and a lot of other factors can change the number on the scale enough to look like weight loss or gain when nothing is actually happening.

If it's only been a week or two without a loss then it's just probably normal water weight fluctuations. They're temporary and you can wait them out. Drink plenty of water to help flush out any excess and the scale should start to move in the right direction.

If it's been a month or more then you're looking at more serious problems. You're either underestimating your calories eaten, overestimating your calories burned, or have a medical condition of some kind that needs to be treated. My advice would be to make sure you're logging accurately and get a food scale if you're not already using one and stop relying on gym machines or MFP estimates to determine your calorie burns.

Go back. Read the advice that's being given. Answer the questions that were asked of you.

And then read through these:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1235566-so-you-re-new-here
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1234699-logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide

Read through all of the linked posts as well. Set yourself a better goal, adjust your expectations, and keep going.
  • vincents697
    Options
    Not sure what TDEE is but I kinda gave up on MFP's method because I thought that 1500 calories was pushing it

:smile: :smile:

• Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    This is my usual day with some small variation

Breakfast - one cup multi grain cheerios and a cup of coffee
    Lunch - vegetables with tuna on low calorie bread or turkey on low calorie bread
    Dinner - chicken with vegetables
    Snacks - carrots, peppers, apples, Luna bar (when starving)
    Lots of water

Do you drink milk with that cereal...eat it dry...or put it in your coffee???

What you can do differently...EAT!

I am female...I eat more than that.

I eat ice cream bars for my snacks...peanut butter and crackers...all kinds of stuff. I am still losing 6lbs a month.
  • Evilito
    Evilito Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I would agree that you need to eat more. It sounds like you burn a lot. I eat about 3000 calories a day and that might not be enough for my activity level - I am having a bit of the same issue as you. 1500 seems real light for an active male.

You might want to try switching out the treadmill for say swimming for a while, your body, efficient machine that it is, will adapt to your regular workout routine, finding the best way to power you with the least amount of body fat burned.

How are your 1200 calories? How many calories are you burning a day?
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    You are NOT building muscle.

While in a calorie deficit, your body will use existing protein (i.e. muscle) to fuel it's activities. When exercising, your body breaks down and rebuilds muscles. Combine these two, and you could be losing 150 g of muscle per day. Now, the food you eat you will help replace what is lost, but 150 g of protein is half of your daily calorie intake.

The aim of this game (for most people) is to lose the FAT (not simply weight, which could be fat + muscle). To do so, eat at a MODEST deficit and make sure you get enough complete protein (and do some form of resistance training, if possible). Eat the maximum number of calories required to lose weight. Not the minimum. For a 200 lb male, that is going to be a lot more than 1200 calories per day. Use the MFP numbers, and eat back some of the exercise calories too.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    So based on this back and forth, I truly don't understand what I need to do in order to continue to drop the pounds. According to MFP, if I want to drop 1.5 pounds per week I should be eating about 1500 calories a day. If I exercise I get to eat more calories.

I am honestly eating about 1250 calories a day and running 4 times a week. While at times I am hungry, drinking water gets me to meal time and snack time. This has worked for me so far as I have lost about 18 pounds in two months. Pounds of what I don't know (fat or muscle) and 2.5 inches on my waist !!!

Would eating more calories cause me to actually burn more?

At 5' 8" and 198 pounds I still have about 20 pounds I want to drop. Suggestions?

You will have more energy for a stronger workout by eating more. Eat more. In fact, with only 20 pounds left to drop, you should aim for 1 pound a week loss, not 1.5.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Not sure what TDEE is but I kinda gave up on MFP's method because I thought that 1500 calories was pushing it

:smile: :smile:

The method you use to determine how much you eat will determine if your eat back calories are included. TDEE- includes your typical workouts- so you don't worry about eat back calories- they are figured into the calculation.

MFP does not- it is your base line losing number- so if you workout- you would/should eat back a percentage of the workout calories- I typically eat back 1/2- if I'm cutting and 3/4 or ALL if I"m bulking.

Right now as a 5'8" very active female I'm cutting on 1500-and eating back a small portion of my work out calories.

So I'm not sure what you mean by 1500 is pushing it?

are you a man or a woman and how tall/heavy are you.

1500 is NOT a crazy amount of food.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    So based on this back and forth, I truly don't understand what I need to do in order to continue to drop the pounds. According to MFP, if I want to drop 1.5 pounds per week I should be eating about 1500 calories a day. If I exercise I get to eat more calories.

I am honestly eating about 1250 calories a day and running 4 times a week. While at times I am hungry, drinking water gets me to meal time and snack time. This has worked for me so far as I have lost about 18 pounds in two months. Pounds of what I don't know (fat or muscle) and 2.5 inches on my waist !!!

At 5' 8" and 198 pounds I still have about 20 pounds I want to drop. Suggestions?

You should be eating between 1889 - 2072 calories per day based on the information you gave (http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/) . You can eat more and lose weight. Good luck!
  • Muddy_Yogi
    Muddy_Yogi Posts: 1,459 Member
    Options
    1000 - 1250 a day

Please tell me this is an effin joke!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    1000 - 1250 a day

You ain't eating enough to even build any muscle...you've put yourself in starvation mode.

good lord no, no, no ….

starvation mode happens when you eat NOTHING for a pro longed period of time …

lolz you can't eat 1200 calories a day and be in starvation mode…good grief...
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

You should be eating between 1889 - 2072 calories per day based on the information you gave (http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/) . You can eat more and lose weight. Good luck!

OP is not using TDEE method..he is using MFP method ...
  • GertrudeHorse
    GertrudeHorse Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    You definitely aren't building muscle.

You probably aren't burning 700 calories in a workout.

You almost certainly aren't eating enough. Fortunately you won't be in "starvation mode" unless you've been eating sub-700 for months on end. You will, however, be malnourished and close to burn-out given your level of exercise.

Everyone else has given good advice. Listen to them and don't destroy your body.

ETA: Your BMR is approximately 1800 based on statistics you have provided. If you want to stick with the MFP method then I would suggest eating slightly more than your BMR as well as a percentage of any exercise calories you burn (although make sure they are calculated accurately).
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options

OP is not using TDEE method..he is using MFP method ...

I guessed that. Thanks!