"I didnt know I was Pregnant"

Options
CuteMommy88
CuteMommy88 Posts: 538 Member
Ok so I am watching this show on TLC right now where the women go into labor without ever knowing that they were pregnant. I have a daughter and there is like no way possible I wouldnt be able to tell I was pregnant. My belly was huge, morning sickness, and gained about 40lbs!!! Not to mention when my baby moved around you could literally see it(my belly would roll when she moved around)
So I was just wondering if anyone had any experience of having a baby and never knowing you were pregnant, and what you story is....I am just really curious LOL

Replies

• ckmama
    ckmama Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options
    I always doubted that too. But my sister says she worked with a girl who had the same issue until she was 7 months...then she was sitting at work and just passed out. That's when she found out. She had no weight gain, no nausea, nothing.
  • helloiloveukitty
    helloiloveukitty Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    for me, I think aka irrationally fear I might be preggers like once a month for no good reason......so I watch this show and wonder wtf these ladies are thinking or well not thinking would be more correct, how could you not investigate a 20 plus pound weight gain? lol even like 8 pounds?

I'm curious too lol
  • curvyitaliana
    Options
    My friend didn't know she was pregnant until she was 7 months along and went into labor. Her son was a preemie and he has had health problems (most respiratory and ears) and is very small for his age, probably from not having prenatal care....and she admits she ate junk food the whole time and just thought she gained weight.

I could feel my son at 3-4 months preggo and had a belly to match early on, so I cannot relate!
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Options
    I always wondered about that too. I was fortunate to not have tons of nausea... but enough that I'd be going to a doctor! Not to mention the restless leg issues, growing stomach, weight gain (and I was over 50 pounds overweight when I *got* pregnant so I don't buy the "I was overweight and couldn't tell" excuse either), swelling... oh, and of course the baby moving around (though, to be fair, I've known of women who couldn't feel movement because of how their placenta was situated).

My dh once worked with someone whose girlfriend swears she didn't know she was pregnant until she was in labor... but I still can't imagine not knowing you were pregnant unless you were giving birth *really* prematurely!
  • cbirdso
    cbirdso Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    My husband and I were trying to get pregnant and it wasn't until I was rushed to the hospital hemorraging that I found out. I continued to have my periods, I didn't have any nausea, but I was gaining weight (ALL in my butt). I made my husband work out with me and we were very diligent in our eating (he lost a bunch of weight) but I continued to gain ten pounds a month. I had an appointment with the doctor, thinking something was wrong. But if you are gaining weight, they just think you are over indulging. I was about 4 months along so I too can't imagine going to term without knowing. That being said, if I hadn't had to have medical tests to stop the bleeding, I wonder how long I would have gone without knowing. Miraculously, my son had no ill effects from my pregnancy from hell (it only got worse from that shaky start). This was 21 years ago, he is in his third year at Cornell and is doing great.
  • mariapuhl
    mariapuhl Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    On the entire show (and I've seen TONS of episodes), I've only ever seen one girl who I honestly believed her.

She had no weight gain, no nausea, and felt little kicks, that she thought were just butterflies in her stomach from her new relationship.

She even went to the doctor to ask if she could be pregnant, he said no, no way, because of some accident she had had when she was like 12 years old. When she went into labor she even asked the ER doctors if this could be labor and they're like "no, no way with your medical history" and told her to go home. So she did - and had the baby at home.

All the other people, I think for the most part were just making excuses....
  • eillamarie
    eillamarie Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    A girl I worked with found out @ 8 months! No nausea, no pain, etc. She had a bit of a belly to start and she only gained weight in areas she usually gained weight in (belly, face, boobs) because she is an apple shape. She had only slightly lighter than normal periods the entire time. She didn't look pregnant @ all! Not even when I saw her 5 days before she gave birth to her son. I mean she had quite the belly, but it looked like typical weight gain on her for her "apple shape", not the "basketball under the shirt" look most pregnant women have.
  • Cina04
    Cina04 Posts: 609
    Options
    I have a friend who didn't know until she was 6 months when she had to go to the ER. She was playing in a volleyball game and fall on her stomach and was in a lot of pain. She couldn't believe when she was told she was pregnant because she was still getting her period.
  • Davis713
    Davis713 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Have you seen the one where the woman has her tubes tied and then like 5 years later she is 45 and went into labor. She thought she had stomach cancer because of the pain she was having?!

Craziness, I knew so early with both of my pregnancies! I was terribly sick and gained the "basketball belly" fast!
  • Mkserpa
    Mkserpa Posts: 136
    Options
    I've recently had 2 miscarriages this November and December (please, no pity! just trying to relate!) and I knew IMMEDIATELY I was pregnant. A week BEFORE my period was due I knew I was pregnant. Everything just felt different - my mood swings were insane, my chest hurt so bad I couldn't sleep in any position, I felt bloated, I had insane vivid dreams about anything from cookies to murder, I craved shrimp severely (and I hate shrimp...) My first pregnancy ended at 8 weeks and there was NO WAY I would have NOT noticed I was pregnant - my symptoms were so blunt. The first month following the miscarriage I became pregnant again and knew immediately I was pregnant - all of the symptoms came back just as strong as the first. I miscarried the second time no later than 5 weeks pregnant (I've been checked for recurring miscarriage issues, I don't have anything wrong with me, the timing was just wrong - the first was chromosomal abnormalities and the second was becoming pregnant so quickly following the miscarriage) Either way - HOW COULD YOU NOT KNOW YOU ARE PREGNANT????
  • catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    A girl with a child in my sons nursery class did just that. She was at school picking up her son on a Friday afternoon wearing low slung jeans and a crop top showing off her washboard belly to the envy of the majority of us. On the following Monday her sister was dropping the little lad off and he was upset because he wanted to see his mummy and his new baby brother, we were all WTF???...She'd gone to hospital thinking she had appendicitis and gave birth at 31 weeks pregnant to a 4.5lb baby boy. Not a clue where it was hiding because she was about a UK size 6...totally flat tummy, no signs, NOTHING.

She actually said she felt robbed of the pregnancy, she hadn't been able to prepare her son, her husband couldn't get time off work at such short notice and that it took a few hours for it to sink in before she could bring herself to hold her surprise baby which is something that she felt very guilty about for a few weeks after it had sunk in properly. It took 6 weeks to name him, they were calling him Surprise while they decided on a name, I last saw her when he started nursery at 4 years old and she was still calling him Sir (Prise) as a pet name
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    There is no way I never could have known. I have huge weight gains 40 with my first and 75 with my 2nd......with bellies to match. I had morning sickness for weeks, plus the usual movement.

If all of that wasn't enough to tip me off my periods are literally like CLOCKWORK so within hours of being due for TOM I'd test and get a positive.
  • CuteMommy88
    CuteMommy88 Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    That is so fascinating that someone could be pregnant and not even get a belly....like i dont understand how you wouldnt see the baby popping out of your belly if it was flat....I know this is such a random topic but i was just interested in some personal experiences!! Thanks ladies!!
  • doublexhelix
    doublexhelix Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    this show scares the **** out of me... every time i am even a day late on my period i get nervous. haha... that's the last thing i'd want.

but it's so fascinating to see how different people are, and how their bodies react so differently to a pregnancy... partially why i wanted to go into a genetics based field.
  • Kelleighanne
    Options
    I was so sick and hurt so bad with all of mine (not to mention the little pot bellies lol) that I don't think I couldn't have known. However, I guess if you don't think you can be, if you don't have regular periods, and if you are just really not paying attention, that it could happen.
  • AmberElaine84
    AmberElaine84 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I admit to having doubts as well!! I can MAYBE see not gaining much weight. I can see not being nauseous or even fatigued, though God only knows I could have fallen asleep standing up some days. But HOW IN THE WORLD can you NOT FEEL a baby moving inside of you?!?!?! I wondered if the flutters at 3 months along were gas, but not at 7 or 8 months, when my babies were so big my ribs hurt!!! And what really shocked me were the girls who ALREADY had kids, so how could you notknow at 5 months along or so?! Or 6? Crazy, crazy, CRAZY! BUT, I don't want to judge because I'm not in their shoes. Just thinkin' out loud...:huh:
  • reginabroyles
    Options
    I knew a girl that just gained a little thinking it was depression eating and started having cramps and delivered the baby in the bathroom while home alone. Her second baby was a normal pregnancy with the big belly and all but the first one was not.
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    I really think 98% of those are a load of bull. I knew I was preggo with my daughter within a week of getting pregnant. And there was no way I could have hidden it. I went all out front and up high. Looked like I had swallowed an oblong watermelon. If you looked at me from behind you couldn't tell I was pregnant...but if I turned to the side it was like a semi-truck trying to make a right hand turn, lol.
  • mzoe60
    mzoe60 Posts: 11
    Options
    Idk...I saw an episode where this woman gave birth at work in a bathroom! She thought she had just had period cramps and thought the extra weight was from stress of her job and recent break up!
  • AmberElaine84
    AmberElaine84 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    AHH!! I could not imagine giving birth in anywhere but a trusty hospital bed! Stick me with an epidural and tell me when to push. That's MY kinda labor!! I was shocked by my first pregnancy, not planned at ALL or even though of. I found out at 2 months. Knew right away with my second, within a week, and my third wasn't planned but I KNEW something was up. Between the second and third I miscarried and STILL knew I was pregnant within a week. Mother's instinct?