Personal Trainer

Options
I finally signed up at a gym last week. I met with one of the personal trainers there and went through a brief workout. It made me realize how badly I needed to work with a trainer. I really liked the trainer and would sign up with him.

Here's the problem. At first, he wanted me to commit to a 12 month program for at least twice a week. There is an option of once a week but he recommended twice. During the conversation, he offered to do a 6 month plan. He later offered a 3 month plan for twice a week but said that he can only do that once and when the 3 months is up, if I want to continue, I would have to commit to 6 months.

My question is whether this it typical. At this point, I'm not ready to sign up for more than once a week for 3 months. At $50 a session, it's quite costly. Is this what's done at most gyms? What types of commitments do other places require?

I promised the trainer I would give him an answer today or tomorrow. Any input is appreciated.

Replies

• JCLondonUK
    JCLondonUK Posts: 159
    Options
    I'm in the UK, so things may be different here, but at my gym they offer a range of options - you can buy individual PT sessions, or get a three month contract for either 4 or 8 sessions a month. The more you buy, the cheaper the sessions are, so 8 a month works out quite a lot cheaper than paying for single sessions, for example.

I had the same experience as you, in that I got a single session and then realised how helpful it would be, so continued. It is expensive, though, for sure. In the end I took advice from a thread on here which said two sessions a week for six months, for a beginner, would be better than one a week for a year, so I've been finding the cash for two sessions a week. I don't regret it though - it's great! But I'm not sure I would have signed up if I'd been pushed into a full year contract right at the start. Really I think a good PT should teach you how to continue on your own, and I doubt I'll continue for a year.

Not sure if that helps, but hope it does :smile:
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    they often offer packs- and multiple days- they get paid per session- but buy what YOU CAN AFFORD and what you are willing to commit to through the week over the course of months.
    They can be hard to get out of really.

Usually they can work out a schedule with you- if you only want 3 months at once a week- tell them that's what you want and no more. Be willing to walk. - I'd be willing to negotiate a little- but be willing to walk away.

Read the documents you give them carefully. You are responsible for knowing what they say and you sign it- you're committed- find out what cancellation fees are- and if you have a major emergency or medical issue what the suspension issues is and if you can suspend payment - or if you pay up front what you are locked into.
  • sbro32
    sbro32 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Hey, JoRocka. Have you used one before? I'm interested in beginning weight lifting. I've learned some about the programs from the forums here - NROLFW, SL 5x5, and Starting Strength, but really want a trainer to teach me good form. Do you think it's worth it for this purpose? How many sessions do you think it would take to get the hang of it?

* I'm a fan of your posts, btw. :smile:
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    I hired a trainer to help me with olympic lifts. I could lift on my own, but I really wanted to concentrate on form. I went into my gym (Gold's) and talked to the GM about how much I was looking to spend. I was looking in the $300 a month price range (this was my birthday present). I ended up signing up for a 36 half hour package that was billed monthly for three months. That got me 3 1/2 hour sessions a week for 12 weeks. Had it not been a gift, I wouldn't have done it, but it was the best present ever!

Honestly, I didn't need any more time after the 3 months. I learned what I wanted after a short time.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    Hey, JoRocka. Have you used one before? I'm interested in beginning weight lifting. I've learned some about the programs from the forums here - NROLFW, SL 5x5, and Starting Strength, but really want a trainer to teach me good form. Do you think it's worth it for this purpose? How many sessions do you think it would take to get the hang of it?

* I'm a fan of your posts, btw. :smile:

Me? no.
    I'm going to see someone for a technical evaluation and on/off coaching- but I don't need a trainer specifically. I've been lifting for years- I have a pretty good grasp on what I need to be doing- but everyone needs some detail work- I know I have issues- and while I know what they are- I'm having a hard time self correcting- my session will be 75$ for 90-120 minutes.

If you are really interested in a trainer to teach you form- then get someone to do that- there isn't any harm as long as they actually know what they are doing- a lot of generic box trainers- won't teach you real barbell work.

Other option is to hire someone for a few sessions specifically to work on form rather than actual 'training'

Check out the videos
    So you think you can squat
    So you think you can bench
    dead lift
    ohp etc etc
    those are going to give you a good start- you can practice with your broomstick/pvc pipe at home- and video yourself and self critique and figure out the basics.

After that if you feel like your struggling- then you could push for a coach for specific barbell work- you'd look for someone with power and oly lifting experience.

A lot of it has to do with time, drive and willingness to pay- I'm not willing to pay for "training" in the traditional sense- but some people need it for form, some people need it for consistency, some people need the workouts- people hire trainers and coaches for so many reasons- it's really up to you- but if you are willing to do the work- there is lots there to get you what you want without paying for regular training- just a matter of what you are willing to do on your own - if that makes sense.

:)
  • sbro32
    sbro32 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    See? This is why I'm a fan! Thanks so much. I am having a hard time rationalizing the cost, since my budget is pretty tight as it is. I'm going to check out these videos, and I really like the tip about asking someone for power and oly lifting. I seem to just be running into trainers that want to spend a lot of time putting together a comprehensive fitness routine. Which is good, but I really just want focused time on heavy lifting. Thanks again!
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    $50 a session? You are getting screwed. Keep shopping.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    no problem :) happy to help.

there is a lot out there if you are willing to research on your own.

A good coach is worth their weight in gold- I've been lifting for years (gosh almost 2 decades!!) and I'm still okay with paying a coach for their time for tweaks- it's worth THAT money.

If you already have a program you are interested in- like SS/Starting Strength/NROL- get researching- youtubing etc etc- reading articles- and then put some practice in and then start looking for some gyms that are more like 'black iron' gyms- their big focus will be on power and oly lifting and look for a coach for tweaking that way - I wouldn't pay more than 100 for an hour and a half to two hour session- Girl in CA says she pays 20 bucks for her hour to hour and a half sessions- I was so jealous- one of the places up here wants 180 for 90-120 minutes.

Trainers are okay- but if you are willing to do the work- you can definitely do it on your own- just hard to find one who can actually work with you for what you want - versus giving you a training program and putting you through a workout.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    when I joined my gym I also signed up with a personal trainer for six months, once a month. She was excellent and once a month was plenty. She usually took pictures of me doing the rooutines each session and I used them while I practiced between our meetings. It sounds to me like your gym is a bit pushy in their sales pitches.
  • hidbee
    hidbee Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    $50 dollars a session is actually pretty on par with what most bigger gyms would charge. You typically by sessions in "bulk" be it a number of months or a number of actual sessions you are buying. I pay $61 for mine, you're not getting screwed but you should make whatever decision is going to be the best financial decision for YOU.
  • tebrooks99
    tebrooks99 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I used a personal trainer and for the money I spent on it, I am enjoying working out with friends and my husband instead. Same results
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    Options
    $50 dollars a session is actually pretty on par with what most bigger gyms would charge. You typically by sessions in "bulk" be it a number of months or a number of actual sessions you are buying. I pay $61 for mine, you're not getting screwed but you should make whatever decision is going to be the best financial decision for YOU.

I go to Gold's Gym and I pay $20 a session, no contract. Sure sounds to me like getting screwed, but what do I know. :smokin:
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options

I go to Gold's Gym and I pay $20 a session, no contract. Sure sounds to me like getting screwed, but what do I know. :smokin:

I go to Gold's and hour sessions are $75. It depends on your location.
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    $50 a session? You are getting screwed. Keep shopping.

That's actually pretty cheap. The old gym I was at was up to $70 an hour to train with me. Typically the larger the trainer package (more sessions) the less the cost per hour.

To the OP - A lot of these trainers are more salesmen/women than trainers. It's no fault of their own as a lot of gyms require such a % of sessions to sold to meet their quota. If I was you, I would go with the minimal package and see how it goes. If you're liking the training and getting the results you seek, then maybe sign on for a bigger package in the future if your finances allow it.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    Options

I go to Gold's and hour sessions are $75. It depends on your location.

Sucks to be you. Sorry. :ohwell:
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    I was a trainer at the Arizona Biltmore and I charged $90 per hour (exclusive clientele dictated pricing, mind you). I bundled packages for members who wanted to commit to more sessions because it made it easier to mange my schedule as well as showed commitment on their part. So that is pretty typical for a trainer to want to have you commit to more sessions.

$50 a session isn't bad in today's market if they are degreed and knowledgeable. If it is just someone who works out, went through P09x or other trendy program and is now "certified", or any other type like this that is going to preach how they got in shape instead of customizing a plan that works for you and your lifestyle, move on quickly.

Now, I was a bit different in my practice. I always brought in clients and started a few times a week for anywhere from 1 to 3 months depending on their need. After that we could cut down to once a week, or even once a month to check up and update their progress/goals/workouts. I NEVER thought of PT as a long term partnership, but more of me being a teacher where eventually clients would graduate to be able to workout on their own. Fact is though, I had clients that HAD TO have someone their or they wouldn't work out. It gave them accountability. I wasn't too thrilled with that prospect - I called it being a glorified rep counter - but it did help them get in shape.

I would also recommend looking at videos online as there is an absolute S-ton of great videos, workout plans, and help out there to be had for free. All you need to do is bring your motivation.

Good luck.
  • hidbee
    hidbee Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    you are kind of being mean. it sounds like you've got a great deal. so good for you.
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately most of the big gyms push their trainers to sell large packages, especially to new members. My first trainer quit because she was stressed her out by this approach. And she was a wonderful trainer, with tons of word-of-mouth clients, but that didn't matter to the management. They will push for the most, but push back and ask for what you need and can afford.
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately most of the big gyms push their trainers to sell large packages, especially to new members. My first trainer quit because she was stressed her out by this approach. And she was a wonderful trainer, with tons of word-of-mouth clients, but that didn't matter to the management. They will push for the most, but push back and ask for what you need and can afford. (Edit: that's a fairly average cost, also.)
  • baykay1010
    baykay1010 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I work out at gym and I've used the personal training services there. I'm on my second trainer now as my first left. However, they don't make me sign up for a certain length of time. I pay for however many sessions I want and will even write up a work out plan after 6 sessions so that I can work out on my own without having to buy more sessions. They also only cost about $35/session.

I highly recommend a personal trainer if you can afford it, but it sounds like your gym is screwing with you and care more about getting money than about what you need out of your personal training services. I believe a personal trainer should get you to where you can work out on your own, not be dependent on them forever.