Customize Your Caloric Intake or Let MFP Calculate It

Options
I'm just curious. Have you had more success by setting your own caloric intake or do you let MFP choose the amount of calories needed for losing weight?

Replies

• Sonicz90x
    Sonicz90x Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I set my own as I'm very in tune with where my TDEE sits.

I think a beginner would be better off using the MFP guideline and adjusting as necessary based on real world results.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    as a beginner I let MFP do it. 3 months in and asking questions to those I had trust in the advice given (based on their history of helping people and the help working) I moved to TDEE...

But to be frank MFP gave me 1380 to eat plus exercise calories...which worked out to be my TDEE-20%...

But customizing your goals does take a lot of information from actual results..random numbers from websites that will give the same TDEE for those who are the same age, height etc...well it's a gamble imho...
  • robabob3
    robabob3 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I customise both my calories and my macros, started doing it because MFP was giving me a target of like 80grams of protein or something a day i know i need more then that.
  • Sonicz90x
    Sonicz90x Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I customise both my calories and my macros, started doing it because MFP was giving me a target of like 80grams of protein or something a day i know i need more then that.
    I don't even bother with any number that MFP gives me. The numbers they give are stupid and they don't allow for precise customization. I purely use it to track numbers according to my own goals.
  • GertrudeHorse
    GertrudeHorse Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    I customise because I know my body better than MFP. I've been successful using my own goals. I adjust them periodically as my TDEE changes.
  • SpicesOfLife
    SpicesOfLife Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    customising my caloric intake sounds really interesting to me as i would like to have the best setup possible for my body/activity/goals, i just dont really know how, because (like some have said) it requires a lot of researching and studying different viewpoints. just seems difficult for me to sort out for myself.
  • Dewymorning
    Dewymorning Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Starting out with MFP is not a bad way to start, but once you have the data you should be able to figure out your TDEE.
  • Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Customize!

MFP numbers usually are way off. Mfp doesn't really take into account people who strength train, plus I have also noticed a lot of the nutrient goals are really low. I just use a calculator and experience to adjust my cals/macros based on my goals during the time.
  • GertrudeHorse
    GertrudeHorse Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    customising my caloric intake sounds really interesting to me as i would like to have the best setup possible for my body/activity/goals, i just dont really know how, because (like some have said) it requires a lot of researching and studying different viewpoints. just seems difficult for me to sort out for myself.

If you know what your goals are then it's probably easiest to find someone else with a similar food philosophy to yourself and get their advice. When you first start on here it is all quite overwhelming; I didn't start customising my numbers until I'd been using the site for a few months. MFP's suggestions aren't *bad* it's just they aren't optimal for everyone. Usually it's just a matter of tweaking in one direction, seeing how that goes for a couple of weeks, then re-tweaking as necessary. You'll eventually find the happy spot that works for you.
  • SpicesOfLife
    SpicesOfLife Posts: 290 Member
    Options

If you know what your goals are then it's probably easiest to find someone else with a similar food philosophy to yourself and get their advice. When you first start on here it is all quite overwhelming; I didn't start customising my numbers until I'd been using the site for a few months. MFP's suggestions aren't *bad* it's just they aren't optimal for everyone. Usually it's just a matter of tweaking in one direction, seeing how that goes for a couple of weeks, then re-tweaking as necessary. You'll eventually find the happy spot that works for you.

thanks, that is good advice. :)