Anyone else feel guilty when you eat?

Options
I've been losing weight, and I know that what I'm doing is working...but for some reason I can't shake the guilt every time I eat. It doesn't matter if I'm eating some watermelon, cabbage, or soup. I always feel guilty for eating anything. I know that it's not reasonable to feel that way, and I ignore it and continue on with my diet. I don't think I'll be able to enjoy eating again until I've lost all of the weight. I'll keep viewing food as damaging rather than nourishing even though I know better. Ugh

Replies

• Vincentsz
    Vincentsz Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    NOPE!
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    I would share this with your doctor before it turns into an ED. Best of luck, sweety.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Seek help. This type of thinking is very indicative of disordered eating. A counselor can help you better than a bunch of us yahoos on the internet. Please go get help, it's not normal, and very dangerous.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    Nope, I enjoy each and every single morsel of glorious food.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Can't say that I do
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    Nope. *shovels pasta in mouth*
  • reddz12
    reddz12 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I do, even if its healthy things and I eat a little more than I planned, because i was still hungry. I'm a very all or nothing type person though. If i'm going to do something I will only do it "right" HOWEVER!!! Food is fuel and it is necessary, starving yourself or cutting out all calories will eventually STOP any progress and harm you in the long run. Granted most of us want to lose weight here but to be hoenst whats the point of being skinny if you're not healthy, that goes hand in hand. Please, please, please make sure you're doing this right! Feeling bad is one thing.. cutting everything out is beyond extreme. Good luck honey.
  • shantz85
    shantz85 Posts: 41
    Options
    I understand how you feel. I look at food the same way, but I think it helps me stay on track. You can still eat and lose weight along with it. Are you exercising too?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I would share this with your doctor before it turns into an ED. Best of luck, sweety.

I second this. Feeling guilty about properly nourishing your body is not good...you are not headed down a path towards wellness here. Being healthy and fit and generally well requires proper nutrition and nourishment.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Get professional help.
  • JennetteMac
    JennetteMac Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    I get it.
    Sometimes I eat feeling ok, then feel guilty afterwards.
    I don't think I have an eating disorder, I just know how easy it is too go over the top. (Cos sometimes I do)
  • WickedPineapple
    WickedPineapple Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Seek help. This type of thinking is very indicative of disordered eating. A counselor can help you better than a bunch of us yahoos on the internet. Please go get help, it's not normal, and very dangerous.

^ This.
  • RaggedyAm
    Options
    This is a problem. Please seek help. I've been there myself and you don't want it to turn into what it turned into for me, and what it turns into for so many other people.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    No. Because I would die if I didn't eat. Guilt is a waste of time and energy. But I do only eat foods that make me feel the best physically, mentally, and spiritually. My choice.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options

I second this. Feeling guilty about properly nourishing your body is not good...you are not headed down a path towards wellness here. Being healthy and fit and generally well requires proper nutrition and nourishment.

All the above.......
  • Xingy01
    Xingy01 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I'll talk to my doctor about it at my next appointment. And I am eating about 1800 calories/day. I'm not starving myself or anything. I just feel guilty every time I eat.
  • teriafobes
    Options
    Hang in there kiddo. I truly feel guilty when I don't exercise. I too think you should talk with your doctor. You shouldn't feel guilty if you are trying. Best of luck to you.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I agree with others...this is a very dangerous way of thinking. It doesn't sound that awful now, but it could easily develop into something far more destructive down the road. Please be good to yourself!

As for me, I mostly just have those "guilty" feelings when I indulge...stuff like pizza or ice cream usually. I KNOW that I can have whatever I want within my cals/macros and have proven that to myself many times over but it's still hard not to have a little voice way back in the deep recesses of your brain screeching "NO!!! Diet =/= five Oreos!!"
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Never. Food is fuel. And it's delicious.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    I get it.
    Sometimes I eat feeling ok, then feel guilty afterwards.
    I don't think I have an eating disorder, I just know how easy it is too go over the top. (Cos sometimes I do)

You might.