Help with Meal Planning

Options
Hello all! I am unsure if this is the right board, but maybe other people have the same question.
My goal for the new year is to try to cook more at home... cooking more at home will mean planning meals and grcoery lists, neither of which I do now. I am very busy, no kids, and husband doesnt really help so not alot of motivation to cook at home.

Who has tips on how to meal plan? Grocery list? etc?

I talked to husband about this very seriously, and he agreed to do the grocery shopping and help prepare things for meals .... so it looks like if I plan it, it will happen!

However... Im kinda at a loss! Thanks for any help ... we are looking to cook about 4 meals a week (and we currently cook zero, unless you count pizza, mac and cheese, or any other quick processed foods).

Replies

• shellybelly83
    Options
    My weekday dinner meals usually revolve around chicken breast. I buy a big package of about 5 lbs for $10 at walmart. You can bake or grill several days' worth at one time if you want to save even more time. Then I buy things to go with it, so my husband and I can have different healthy meals. Some examples we have (we tend to do the same stuff over and over):

Whole wheat wraps (Flat Out brand if you can find them)---
    You can make chicken quesadillas with low fat cheese, sauteed green pepper and onions, salsa
    Wraps with veggies
    Healthy pizza with either chicken or turkey pepperoni, low fat cheese and fresh veggies

Whole wheat bread- my husband like to just make chicken sandwiches

Brown rice- you can throw on a side of veggies, or look up weight watcher's recipe for Chicken Fried Rice

Try different low fat marinades for the chicken breast, and different low-sodium spices

Whole wheat pasta- watch your portion on the pasta and add extra veggies, with chicken and marinara sauce

Hope this helps! :)
  • asallen7
    asallen7 Posts: 301
    Options
    Since you don't cook alot already, you might want to take this slow. Start with breakfast. Easy starts would be healthy cereals with 1% or almond milk, oatmeals, eggo nutrigrain waffles, yogurt, fruit, half a bagel, etc. These things require very little cooking but are good for you. Be sure to measure/weigh your portions to watch calories. Smoothies.

Lunch.
    Salad greens with boneless/skinless chicken breast is easy. Boca burgers on a 100 calorie sandwich thin. Healthy choice soups and microwave meals (these tend to be very high in sodium). Tuna. Chili. I have an easy recipe that lasts for a week if you'd like it.

Dinner
    salmon, turkey burgers, salad, grilled chicken breasts, brown rices, lots of veggies.

Most of what I prepare for myself has very little prep time. Hopefully this made some sense :-)
  • lutzsher
    lutzsher Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    I create a meal plan every 2 weeks and hang it on the fridge, it includes all meals and snacks, then I build my grocery list from it.

For example, this weeks dinners . . . .

Monday: 5 oz grilled trout, 1/4 c. whole wheat couscous, 1 1/2 c. steamed broccoli

Tues: Stir fry (5 oz chicken breast, 2 c. veggy <peppers, mushrooms, snow peas, broccoli, bean sprouts> and sauce made from pineapple, low sodium soya sauce, brown sugar splenda blended in the blender)

Wed: Soft tacos; 2 small dempsters whole wheat soft tortillas, 4 oz ground turkey (season with 1 tsp of garlic pwdr, chili pwdr, cumin, paprika, 3/4 c water cooked down) and as much veggy as I can stuff in them . . . my favorites are lettuce, cucumber, peppers and cilantro. I put the chopped tomatoes in with the salsa to make it seem "fresher"

Thurs: 4 oz grilled steak or centre cut pork chop, 1 c steamed asparagus, 1 c sauteed onions, mushrooms, & garlic

Fri: 5 oz salmon, 1 c steamed cauliflower, 1/4 c brown rice

I work more than full time so am all about the quick, easy, and fresh!
  • Qbanldy
    Qbanldy Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    That's always been a tough one for me as well. Very busy, two kids and a husband who... well... tries to help? lol
    There are some really great cook books out there that specifically deal with creating meals with very few ingredients, some as little as 5. There is also a lot of information you can get on the internet on meal planning, which is where I first go if I want to try something new. It can get pretty boring if I just stick to the things I know are healthy.
    I'd love to read if anyone else has other sources.:smile:
    Good luck!
  • beethedreamer
    beethedreamer Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    make a list of things you like to eat and go from there. You can make anything at home and its so much better for you than going out or eating processed foods.

Start with the meals you plan on making. eatingwell.com is a great resource and even has a section for making meals for two people. after you know what you want to make, then make your grocery list. never go to the store without a list because you will buy things that arent good for your body or wallet.

also, many people think that pizza is a forbidden food while trying to lose weight. definitely not the case. homemade pizza is so yummy and easy to make. you can use so many things for the crust (whole wheat tortilla, english muffins, etc) and just put some sauce, low fat cheese, and any veggies you want. I'm a big advocate of eating what you want, just making those things healthier :)
  • maryellengallagher
    Options
    I am not much of a cook, but I have found epicurious.com has good, easy recipes which help me stay on track with my weight loss. Last night I made the Brazilian fish stew and it was amazingly good! You can also print off shopping lists. Rotisserie chickens are a staple at my house as well. It's easy to make lots of recipes when the chicken is already cooked.
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    This is the meal plan I worked with when I started over the summer (pre-mfp)

http://www.womenshealthmag.com/fitness/six-week-weight-loss-meal-plan-week-1

I didn't count calories, and I was pretty loose with this (if I wanted to go out more than 1x a week or on a diff day, or substitute things, I did) But this was great for learning simple recipes, resetting my "go to" food template and learning how to grocery shop (watch out though, their list is more food than needed, I find. Sit down at the beginning of the week and plan which meals you will keep and which you will drop or change, and adjust the grocery list accordingly, is my best advice)

Good luck!
  • kacylaine
    kacylaine Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Tacos are really easy. I use 97/3 ground turkey with 1 tsp garlic powder, 1 tsp chili powder, and 1 tsp onion powder instead of the seasoning packet because it's full of unneccesary sodium. I use spinach instead of lettuce (I use kitchen shears to cut it up). Tomato, onion, salsa and whatever else you like. I use corn tortillas instead of flour or taco shells.

Chicken breast with a couple of veggies is super easy too. I try to do at least 2 veggies, different colors. For example, yellow squash and broccoli or carrots and green beans.

Tonight I'm making spaghetti bake. Yum.
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    I'm not good at meal planning - like planning it out then shopping for those ingredients. But we have learned, by not meal planning, what we eat and what we don't and what we should keep on hand.

So, I always have pasta sauce, frozen veggies of various types, onions, chicken breasts (frozen and chunk can for when I want to cook in 5 minutes not 20!), shredded cheese, various pastas, rice, garlic, etc on hand. I buy it and stock up when it's on sale (sales dictate my meals, not my meals dictating what ingredients I buy!). I can usually make just about anything other than specialty dishes that require something weird like rocotta or something. It works for us since we only plan about a day in advance if that. It works well to always have stuff on hand to throw something together in 10-20 mins so I can talk the hubby out of ordering pizza or something.
  • rthompson81
    rthompson81 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I would say, first, plan on going to the grocery store every week. That way you can keep lots of fresh veggies and fruit in the house. I usually don't plan my out all my meals before I go to the grocery store, but I have a few meals in mind that I want to cook that week. I usually buy one or two proteins, like a package of chicken and a package of pork chops. You can also cook enough meat for two meals at once, and if you're short on time, you can cook it in the crock pot while you are doing other things. I also find that cooking blogs (try anepicchange.com and/or http://deliciouslyaustin.wordpress.com/ )and allrecipes.com help for inspiration when I don't know what I want to eat. Good luck!
  • DrumlineGirl
    DrumlineGirl Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I have a ton of cookbooks, so I sit down with them every week and plan every dinner. I then write them on the fridge and pick each night what we're in the mood from off of the list. Sometimes I'll go so far as to list what day I will make what, but only if I will be very busy and know that I won't be in the mood to make decisions.
  • sweetheart03622
    sweetheart03622 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    I have a ton of cookbooks, so I sit down with them every week and plan every dinner. I then write them on the fridge and pick each night what we're in the mood from off of the list. Sometimes I'll go so far as to list what day I will make what, but only if I will be very busy and know that I won't be in the mood to make decisions.

That's exactly how I do it! Although, we do one big grocery shopping trip every two weeks, for meat and the expensive things, and freeze the meat until we use it. Then we run to the store once or twice a week to stock up on fresh produce and things. Plus, planning in advance helps you to save money because you're only buying what you NEED and what you WILL use! Best of luck!
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    we have a giant dry erase calendar in our kitchen that we write all our appointments, activities, AND MEALS on! It has helped us immensely. We write out meals for the pay period (a 2 week span for us). That gives us a base for a grocery list. Then we fill in the rest of the list with basic necessities. It helps cut calories, while fattening the wallet! :)
  • 2BaNewMe2
    2BaNewMe2 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    My new "thing" is to use my slow cooker (alot). I have several recipe books for slow cookers and have gone through and marked the recipes that would most please my family. My favorite is to make chicken fajitas on whole wheat tortillas. When I go to the store, I usually buy to large packages of boneless, skinless chicken breasts. I figure out what I am going to use them for, cut them to the recipe, and freeze the individual dinner portions. I also use alot of boneless pork chops (I know, not as healthy as the chicken).

I will make out a list of all of the meals I have in my freezer and decide what to have on which night of the week and hang the list on the fridge.

Hint: When making chili, or any type of sauces, I always make a double batch and freeze half for another meal. Works terrific. The same can be done with most vegetables, including peppers, onions, celery, etc.
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    i plan my meals each sunday and grocery shop on mondays based on the food i want to make. :) stop by my blog if you want some ideas. i always do a main dish, a veggie, a fruit, and sometimes another side and occassionally a dessert.

i love the idea of using a dry erase board for your meals, very easy to swap around something if you need to. :)

the main thing is to just get in a habit of sitting down on a certain day each week and using that time to plan your food. the grocery list comes naturally once you know what you are going to make.
    dawn
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    Who all actually gathers sale ads and plans their weekly recipes based on what is on sale vs shopping for what you decided you want to eat?
  • Sweet13_Princess
    Sweet13_Princess Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    It's good to plan out meals, but I often find that I have long days at work or am too tired to cook. I try to have old standbys like cold meat, low sodium canned soups, and salads at the ready. I also look online for recipes and have invested in a a few cookbooks. I try one new recipe a week, just to mix things up. Ones my fiance and I like, I keep on my laptop, then I know what's good and quick and easy to make (I add comments when I type the recipes up too!). I really feel a lot of satisfaction in cooking by myself. I know what goes into my food, but I'm also proud when I follow a recipe and create a delicious meal!

Shannon
  • fitoverfifty
    fitoverfifty Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I bought a George Foreman grill and have been grilling chicken and salmon a lot.
    I make a fresh salad with just about every meal, nice mixed greens with some tomato, cumcumber and whatever else you like.
    Use Balsamic vinigar and Extra virgin olive oil for dressing.
    Then cook another veggie....green beans, broccoli, whatever.
    If you want more carbs add a little brown rice, couscous, or pasta on the side....that should be a small part of the meal though..about 1/4 of it.
  • gypsy30
    Options
    I really enjoy the Saving Dinner cookbooks by Leanne Ely, She includes the plans, shopping lists and they taste great. http://savingdinner.com/leannes-books/ hope the helps ;)
  • TracieJ65
    TracieJ65 Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    Hello emmaleigh! I cook darn near every single night of the week as well as breakfast and lunch. I do not eat out and just can not justify the money spent on it since I know how to cook and I cook well. If I do not plan it I am at a loss. I shop at my military commissary and the base is about 10 miles out of town so going to the commissary is not something I doseveral times per week but only twice a month centered around paydays. (not to mention I am not fond of grocery shopping) The week before payday, and grocery shopping, I will take the time to plan out how many meals that I need for the next two weeks. I decide what meals that I want to buy groceries for, make a grocery list for all of it, write down all of the meals on a list, and then I keep the list on my refrigerator. On this list it has the meal name and where I can find the recipe. (IE, cookbook, website, flash drive, cutout recipe). Each morning I take a look at the list and decide what it is that I want to make that night. I might add that when I am planning out the meal list I have an even amount of quick/easy recipes and a little harder/longer ones. I like to make sure that if I am having a bad, stressful, or long day I will still have something quick to cook and hopefully not have the urge to just want to pick up something from a fast food restaurant. I do all of this myself. The husband and children do not do any of the cooking, planning, or cleaning up for that matter. The husband does know that he WILL be there to help me get these groceries out of the car and put away, though. I also cook extra in every meal that I cook. I am a huge believer in cook once eat twice and I also like to have things leftover for lunches.

I am going to be starting a blog, with the new year, about my daily meals. I think it is going to be called, "What's for dinner tonight?" or something like that. I will post the recipe that I cook and I will also give any tips or comments that I may have. My hopes are to help people much like yourself over this next year. To me there is a huge sense of fullfilment in cooking and I am very satisfied putting a good meal on the table for my family. Not just meals! I also bake and am very versatile in the kitchen and have been cooking since I could stand up with my mom in the kitchen.

Hope that helps a little bit.