Weight Lifting, While Trying to Lose Weight??

Hello again!

So I'm having a slight dilemma with my workout routine. I am in the process of dropping pounds and have no concern for definition at this point in the game. Typically I workout between 3-5 times a week alternating between cardio and weight lifting. Depending on my caloric intake I will do cardio for 30-60 minutes burning about 300-550 calories. The days I weight lift, I lift heavy for me (30-40lbs upper body and 90-110lbs lower body) for about 60 minutes and I'm not sure how many calories I'm burning with that. MFP says 294. Honestly for the amount of effort I'm putting in my body is seeing little change and I'm starting to wonder if it has anything to do with the fact that I am lifting weights? Also, I thought lifting weights contributed to weight loss as well, I'm stuck y'all.

Any tips, suggestions, words of encouragement, similar experiences?

Dru

Replies

• RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    There is no accurate estimation for your calorie burn while lifting. Also, how are you estimating your cardio burn.

Diet contributes to weightloss, weight lifting contributes to fat loss. When you eat in a deficit you lose water, fat, and muscle. You lift in that deficit to minimize the loss of muscle so you lose mainly fat and water, so after doing this for a while and you strip that fat away, you have muscle definition from the muscles you maintained while removing the fat.
  • PokernuttAR
    PokernuttAR Posts: 74 Member
    There is no accurate estimation for your calorie burn while lifting. Also, how are you estimating your cardio burn.

Diet contributes to weightloss, weight lifting contributes to fat loss. When you eat in a deficit you lose water, fat, and muscle. You lift in that deficit to minimize the loss of muscle so you lose mainly fat and water, so after doing this for a while and you strip that fat away, you have muscle definition from the muscles you maintained while removing the fat.

^^^This.......also your protein intake needs to be sufficient to help maintain muscle mass. There is debate on how much this should be, but 1g of protein for every pound of bodyweight is widely accepted. Also, if you are eating in a deficit, supplements such as glutamine can help as well.
  • corgarian
    corgarian Posts: 366 Member

^^ this again

Honestly, throw your scale out the window and buy a measureing tape. Because while weight lifting the scale will move slowly and sometimes not at all, and that can be extremely frusturating. But like he said lifting burns off FAT, which is what we're all trying to get rid of anyways, right?
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    ^^ Agree with the posters above :flowerforyou:
  • ottermotorcycle
    ottermotorcycle Posts: 654 Member
    So you're concerned with dropping pounds but not with the appearance of your body? Do you want to be lighter or less fat?
  • Pectinbean
    Pectinbean Posts: 62 Member

I feel like I've learnt a lot today! Have never done weight training / exercises and judging by what you and a lot of other folk have said, it's what I should be doing. Stupid myth that weights make girls big. Wish I'd learnt this sooner. No wonder I'm still wobbly round my middle with just diet and running / cycling.
  • jnr2012
    jnr2012 Posts: 33 Member
    bump - i'm having the same issues
  • Jlab24
    Jlab24 Posts: 9
    Lol, ummm... doesn't dropping pounds/losing weight naturally change the appearance of your body?? My specific comment was not being concerned with muscle definition at the moment. In other words it's a goal of mine but not right now.
  • Jlab24
    So you're concerned with dropping pounds but not with the appearance of your body? Do you want to be lighter or less fat?

Lol, ummm... doesn't dropping pounds/losing weight naturally change the appearance of your body?? My specific comment was not being concerned with muscle definition at the moment. In other words it's a goal of mine but not right now.
  • Jlab24

Thanks, for the info!
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Keep lifting.

I have found that the weight doesn't drop as quickly as it used to when I wasn't lifting. BUT, my goal is not to lose "weight" anymore. It's to lose body fat. So, even if it's coming off slower, I know that the vast majority of it is actually fat instead of muscle. That's worth it to me.

The changes will come with time. Lifting doesn't cause overnight changes. Yes, it's amazing. Yes, it will give you the body you want. But not in a day, or a week, or a month. Give it time. :)
  • stef_monster
    stef_monster Posts: 205 Member
    How long have you been lifting? Some people notice a difference in the way they look in as little as a week or two- others take a month or two. I second the idea about the measuring tape. You may have slight gains at first in a few places like thighs, butt, biceps, and calves, but trust me when I say it'll go away. If you're eating at a deficit, 'water weight' from lifting can still mask your weight loss progress.

As for calories burned during weightlifting, I personally don't even bother keeping track of them. Both programs I've followed (New Rules of Lifting for Women and Stronglifts 5x5) encourage resting between sets. If you're jumping rope or hopping on the treadmill for a couple of minutes between sets, it may add up to a significant number, but otherwise the calorie burn from lifting is usually pretty small. The real magic happens not when you're actually lifting the weights, but when your body has to tap into its stores to repair the microscopic tears in your muscles that are created by lifting.

It sounds like you have a great routine going- just make sure you have a rest/ cardio day between lifting days to give your muscles time to recover. Keep at it and good luck!
  • FoxyLifter
    FoxyLifter Posts: 965 Member

No, you'll just be a smaller version of your current self.

I have read many posts of people regretting this very idea. It's easier to keep the muscle mass you have now (or close to it since you can't 100% prevent muscle loss while on a cut) than it is to lose some now and try to build it back up. Keep lifting while slowly increasing the weights and eating 1g of protein per pound of LBM (your body weight minus your body fat). Muscle is very hard to build once it's lost, especially for women. Trust me. Keep lifting heavier and heavier.
  • Jlab24
    Keep lifting.

I have found that the weight doesn't drop as quickly as it used to when I wasn't lifting. BUT, my goal is not to lose "weight" anymore. It's to lose body fat. So, even if it's coming off slower, I know that the vast majority of it is actually fat instead of muscle. That's worth it to me.

The changes will come with time. Lifting doesn't cause overnight changes. Yes, it's amazing. Yes, it will give you the body you want. But not in a day, or a week, or a month. Give it time. :)

This is helpful! I definitely plan on keeping the routine, I actually prefer lifting over cardio. While looking over the posts I'm seeing that it all boils down to time...I recently added weights to my routine, will be going on a month now...

Thanks for the reminder!
  • Jlab24
    How long have you been lifting? Some people notice a difference in the way they look in as little as a week or two- others take a month or two. I second the idea about the measuring tape. You may have slight gains at first in a few places like thighs, butt, biceps, and calves, but trust me when I say it'll go away. If you're eating at a deficit, 'water weight' from lifting can still mask your weight loss progress.

As for calories burned during weightlifting, I personally don't even bother keeping track of them. Both programs I've followed (New Rules of Lifting for Women and Stronglifts 5x5) encourage resting between sets. If you're jumping rope or hopping on the treadmill for a couple of minutes between sets, it may add up to a significant number, but otherwise the calorie burn from lifting is usually pretty small. The real magic happens not when you're actually lifting the weights, but when your body has to tap into its stores to repair the microscopic tears in your muscles that are created by lifting.

It sounds like you have a great routine going- just make sure you have a rest/ cardio day between lifting days to give your muscles time to recover. Keep at it and good luck!

I haven't been lifting for long, going on a month. I love that suggestion though, cardio in between reps...that sounds like a challenge I'm willing to take on.
  • stef_monster
    stef_monster Posts: 205 Member
    I especially liked doing cardio between sets with New Rules- they recommended a 2 minute rest sometimes, and I would get fidgety. I would jump rope or do jumping jacks after upper body lifts, and jog in place or shadow box after lower body lifts. When I got up to heavier weights, though, I NEEDED those two minutes sitting down to recover, LOL!

Also, now would be a good time to start taking progress pics every couple of weeks. Take a front, back, side, and three-quarter view in a full-length mirror if possible. They make for good motivation months down the road :)
  • wolfsbayne
    wolfsbayne Posts: 3,116 Member
    Keep lifting.

This...I've only lost 13 lbs in 5 months and the changes in my body are minimal (to me, anyway), but progress pictures show a lot. My body is getting tighter and the rolls are slowly going away.