Running, a painful experience

Options
I've been running for around 4 weeks now, almost every day. But what is putting me off is the fact that my calf muscles hurt. I normally stop because my legs can't keep going, while my breathing and so forth is perfect and don't feel tired at all. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get over this? Or do you have the same problem?

Replies

• HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    are you stretching out well after your runs? I get tight calves and quads if I'm not careful to stretch enough. How about shoes, you have really good quality shoes to run in? Don't' wanna stretch before running before they warm up but just start out slow so your muscles have a chance to warm up and off you go.:tongue: Good shoes can make a world of difference as can enough potassium, stretching well after and good overall nutrition!:drinker: :wink:
  • malg64
    Options
    better shoes, and replace at 250 miles clocked. also, stretching your calf muscles before, after a 1 mile warm up, at the half way point and after your cool down. you also may want to find a running clinic. your form maybe off and causing you stress. (by the way, ran track nationally many years ago and i coached youth track for about 4 years, just in case you are wondering about the advice). one other thing, don't know your weight, but sometimes you have to really build slowly to a run. you also need to give your body time to mend between runs. we call it in track the tear and mend cycle. hope this helps. keep up the great work.
  • SouthernBell86
    SouthernBell86 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I have been using the C25K program. At first it was my breath and shins that were my biggest problems, then it was a pain I would get in my right side. Now all of those are gone and it is usually my calves that start to feel a bit achy. As long as it isn't painful though, I just keep running for the entire C25K plan for the day. Achy muscles mean I am pushing myself, which is good.

The biggest thing though is that I do not run every day, I run every other day. It seems like most running websites and tutorials advise against running every day, especially for beginners, or those who are trying to improve their running. By giving yourself a day off you allow your muscles to properly heal, and it will allow you run further and faster the next time.

Anyway, the key is to distinguish between soreness and pain. You shouldn't run through pain because you could tear something or otherwise injure yourself. Good luck!
  • Drei
    Drei Posts: 9
    Options
    Yea I bought a pair of serious running shoes and they're great. With the stretching I do so before and after my runs but not much happens in terms of the pain. I think my legs need a little getting used to my body until I lose a little more weight. lol
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Definitely stretch before. Go online and search for shin splint stretches. Any stretch for your shins will stretch out your calves as well.
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    Yea I bought a pair of serious running shoes and they're great. With the stretching I do so before and after my runs but not much happens in terms of the pain. I think my legs need a little getting used to my body until I lose a little more weight. lol
    Definitely check in with the hard core runners on here and websites on running to read more about why stretching before running can cause injuries that might sideline you. If you're stretching and your muscles aren't warmed up first you can cause real issues to your body.

Years past that was the rule, stretch first, things have changed thus the differing thoughts on here ...best to find your way that's healthiest and go with that! Lots of awesome running sites.

****Check out what malg64 (she's definitely got knowledge on this!!) shared on warm up after the one mile mark after your muscles have warmed up a bit.:wink::flowerforyou:
  • jconner491
    Options
    I experienced this when I started running as well. As far as I can tell, some leg discomfort is unavoidable while you're teaching your body to do something its not used to. Just make sure that you aren't pushing too hard, that you are taking adequate rest days, and stretching after you run. Also you may want to check your running form...heel striking can lead to unnecessary pain, in my experience. Experiment with barefoot (minimalist) or Chi running. Good luck! Don't give up, it gets better, I promise.
  • Drei
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I'll definitely take your advice. I'll start with stretches during my run, I have a feeling that will work! I'll keep you updated with my progress...
  • rusty4269
    Options
    I just got over the same problem. I'm fairly new to running and a few things I did to get over this was one, go to a running store a get fitted for shoes. They help more than you think. I see you already got the shoes but I had to take the first pair I got back, they didn't help at all. When you find the right pair you will know. The second thing I done was slow down!!!! Someone told me to slow down and I replied I already have, I feel like I'm crawling already and his reply was, "I haven't seen you run but If you are a beginner you are running to fast". I took his advice as strange as It feels and I ran a 5K for the first time without walking. I also ran it in 33:07 which was several minutes faster than before. And the last thing I did was keep trying. It was so painful for a while I considered quiting and maybe getting a bike or something else but with a lot of advice and support (much of which came from the running store where I bought my shoes) I toughed it out and now I can run a 5K without the pain you are experiencing. It seemed that one day I went out to run and the pain was gone. I understand what you are going thru, I can handle pain and I know the old saying "no pain no gain" but there is a difference in good "burning" pain and injury pain. I felt that if I pushed it I was gonna injure myself. But if you don't over do it you will be fine. Trust me if youve been at it 4 weeks you already have the worst behind you. Just keep running and make sure to rest between runs and use plenty of ice and it will go away before you know it.
  • Drei
    Options
    I just got over the same problem. I'm fairly new to running and a few things I did to get over this was one, go to a running store a get fitted for shoes. They help more than you think. I see you already got the shoes but I had to take the first pair I got back, they didn't help at all. When you find the right pair you will know. The second thing I done was slow down!!!! Someone told me to slow down and I replied I already have, I feel like I'm crawling already and his reply was, "I haven't seen you run but If you are a beginner you are running to fast". I took his advice as strange as It feels and I ran a 5K for the first time without walking. I also ran it in 33:07 which was several minutes faster than before. And the last thing I did was keep trying. It was so painful for a while I considered quiting and maybe getting a bike or something else but with a lot of advice and support (much of which came from the running store where I bought my shoes) I toughed it out and now I can run a 5K without the pain you are experiencing. It seemed that one day I went out to run and the pain was gone. I understand what you are going thru, I can handle pain and I know the old saying "no pain no gain" but there is a difference in good "burning" pain and injury pain. I felt that if I pushed it I was gonna injure myself. But if you don't over do it you will be fine. Trust me if youve been at it 4 weeks you already have the worst behind you. Just keep running and make sure to rest between runs and use plenty of ice and it will go away before you know it.

Thanks! I didn't start out fast, like you said I felt like I was crawling, but now I've picked up the pace a little. There are no thoughts of quitting, mainly as I see myself going further and further each time. i just have to take care of myself and like everyone else said, stretch and have rest days.