Where do u grocery shop and why?

Options

Replies

• debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,034 Member
    Options
    I shop at Market Basket for the majority of my food because they are clean, inexpensive and have a great variety of products. It also helps that they are on the way home from my office. They consistently have fantastic specials. I buy most of my produce from a little, locally owned Asian market. Their prices can't be beat!!! I get pints of strawberries, blueberries, raspberries and black berries for $1 each. I also purchase boneless, skinless chicken and ground turkey at Sam's Club because their prices are the best and we use tons of chicken and turkey.
  • bethlaf
    bethlaf Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    Publix since i am in florida, they do a lot of bogo and i can stack store and manufacturers coupons there
    Super Target, they price match ANY LOCAL AD and with thier coupons , the cartwheel ad and coupons ,I can get some pretty good prices.
    Whole Foods, there are a few select items I buy there- Wild Rice- bulk popcorn, Sesame seeds, TVP
    Walmart , if they have a deal where I can use the overage, or I can price match and use coupons
    Aldis- they have some stuff there thats always a good price - Pesto for ex. and Yogurt if its not on sale somewhere else with coupons for less. and if i am stopping there i generally stock up on 5-6lbs of extra bananas , because really in my house there is no such thing
    Dollar Tree- for one thing only- FROZEN FRUIT- at a buck a bag, its perfect for shakes and smoothies- and i watch for items they have that match my coupons , in january i picked up 3 cases (of 24) betty crocker cornbread mix which after coupons was like 8.00
    Save a lot for Frozen ground turkey and Jenni o turkey bacon-

Albertsons for SELECT sales, (like 1x every other month) and the sale has to be pretty amazing cus i have to drive there special x town.

I REALLY miss Kroger
    and For those in Tx. you have HEB , thats a good store too

there are 8 people in my house - so I Rely on coupons .
    and do a lot of value shopping.
  • CleanKim
    CleanKim Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I live in Charlotte NC and shop at Earth Fare, Trader Joe's, Target, and Harris Teeter.
    Earth Fare by far is my favorite store. I know I am not buying anything with bad chemicals.
  • LiveLoveLift67
    LiveLoveLift67 Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    I buy my BOGO deals at Publix and most of my meat there because i work there and they will cut it for me anyway you want it. I also work in the Seafood dept so i know what is fresh there too.

Most staples i shop at Walmart because i know i can get better deals...

A few items i get at the Sams Club wholesale place

Occasionally the farmers market
  • hananah89
    hananah89 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    Harris Teeter for the majority of fresh things (regular shopping trip) even though there prices are a little higher than the Food Lion or Kroger, their quality is much much better. I get gas, paper products, and occasionally fresh stuff at Sams Club. Mostly processed stuff (although I've cut down on them) and cleaning things from Target. Then Trader Joe's for things like my delicious plantain chips that give me that salty crunch I need. Farmer's markets in the spring/summer for things like strawberries and corn. I avoid Walmart like the plague (and their prices aren't always better than Target).
  • Jade0529
    Jade0529 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I wish the Targets in Canada were good. I was so excited when they came here but they suck so badly!
  • jenns1964
    jenns1964 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    H-E-B! It has great everything, pretty much. A good selection of fresh produce and organic items. About on par with Walmart in terms of price. A lot times their house brand of things is just as good as name brand. We have a few Whole Foods and Trader Joes, but they are always so so packed, it really doesn't make for an enjoyable experience. For time, money, and overall experience, I'll take H-E-B!

I shop H-E-B too . I'm from California originally which has astronomical prices for everything. So when I moved to Pflugerville I was elated to see such reasonable grocery prices.
  • aeb09
    aeb09 Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I shop at Whole Foods now. I did shop at Shop Rite until I decided to change my life. It is more expensive, but honestly I'm buying much higher quality items and eating so much better and really only spending about $25/week more. That is a lot of money, don't get me wrong, but health is priceless and I'm willing to do it.
  • zillah73
    zillah73 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I shop at Whole Foods – I know the store, where everything is and that I can find everything I need. I only shop for myself and only buy exactly what I need so I can keep my grocery bills to $50-60/week. Best of all... no gigantic plastic shopping carts shaped like toy cars for kids. I hate those things!
  • turniprose
    Options
    I do my main grocery shopping at Vons where I buy items to stock up the pantry or what not. Once or twice a month I go to Costco to buy a giant bag of vegetables (love those asparagus!), fish and chicken. In between I also shop at Trader Joe's.
  • SusanL222
    SusanL222 Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    My local food co-op! For lots of reasons......it's locally owned by it's members; carries lots of locally produced food and non-food items; bulk grains, nuts, spices, etc; has a community feel and shopping there is almost always a social experience. I love my Co-op!
    If they don't carry it, I don't need it! Except for wooden matches......I have to go to the hardware store for those! :wink:
  • ktkdmommy
    ktkdmommy Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I agree! I ASOLUTELY love Kroger!
  • BelovedStripes
    Options
    I purchase the bulk of our groceries between Central Market, Whole Foods, and Costco. I like Central Market the most overall - they have good organic produce, a large wine section, and good meat. Whole Foods is a close second - I could eat from their fresh prep section everyday. We like Costco for other bulk items - like paper towels and trash bags.

We shop at Costco every few months. Choosing between Central Market or Whole Foods for weekly shopping is usually a toss up to what other errands I am running that day.

I love going to Trader Joe's from time to time, but it is always packed with people aimlessly wondering around like it is some sort of tourist trap. It kind of gets in the way when you are trying to buy a weeks worth of groceries and get in and out quickly.
  • asianrunner
    asianrunner Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Usually Hy-Vee because it's open 24/7 and has a good selection. If we have our shopping list done on Saturdays, we shop at Fareway because it's cheaper. Fareway has a much better meat selection though than Hy-Vee.

I'd say about 70% of the time, we go to Hy-Vee. Plus it's much closer and almost on my way home from work, whereas Fareway is a little farther. We rarely go to Aldi's unless DH is craving a bunch of snacky food!
  • lwagnitz
    lwagnitz Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    A place called "Woodman's" It's just in Wisconsin, I believe; maybe only a few locations. I love it because it is HUGE with lots and lots of options and far cheaper than Walmart, actually...by a significant amount. They also have a great selection of "natural" foods and even have a few aisles designated for it, as well as a lot of vegetarian/vegan foods which is great for me and is difficult to find elsewhere.

Also, opened 24 hours, employee owned, and they pay their workers well and offer them benefits. I'd rather my money be going to a company like that over typical "big box" stores like Walmart.
  • ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    Options
    Costco, Whole foods, Vons.
  • nainai0585
    nainai0585 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I price match with Walmart for just about everything except meat, I get that at Costco.
  • pianochick5254
    Options
    I shop at Kroger mostly because they have everything pretty much and all the workers are paid really well and I have talked to a few of them and known friends who used to work there and they all say that its a good job that isn't unfair to them or BS in some way or another. I get all of my produce here because I feel they are the freshest for the cheapest available in my area. I also buy all of my pasta, rice, beans, bread products, etc here.

I will go to the local co-op here for Peanut butter and veggie burgers, almond milk ice cream, etc just to support them. I probably spend maybe $30 a month there but the products I do get are very fresh and cheaper at the co-op than at other stores.

I also like to shop at the local Sahara Mart which is all ethnic groceries and Obi's which is Oriental groceries.
  • RebekahR84
    RebekahR84 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    I shop at Pick N' Save and Piggly Wiggly. I double-coupon and save about a third off of my grocery bill. If anyone has a store in their area that does this, I suggest you take advantage of it. What's on sale changes, so it keeps variety in your diet. It really IS realistic to eat healthy for cheap.
  • RebekahR84
    RebekahR84 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    A place called "Woodman's" It's just in Wisconsin, I believe; maybe only a few locations. I love it because it is HUGE with lots and lots of options and far cheaper than Walmart, actually...by a significant amount. They also have a great selection of "natural" foods and even have a few aisles designated for it, as well as a lot of vegetarian/vegan foods which is great for me and is difficult to find elsewhere.

Also, opened 24 hours, employee owned, and they pay their workers well and offer them benefits. I'd rather my money be going to a company like that over typical "big box" stores like Walmart.

I love Woodmans. When I can't find a sale on something, I go to Woodmans for the best price. Which area of WI are you from?