Sleep Apnea

Options
This is mostly a question for those of us who have had some (or a lot of) success on this journey and who were diagnosed at some point with sleep apnea and on a CPAP. What I'd like to know is if any of you have been able to stop using the CPAP because of the weight loss. If so, at what point (approximately how many pounds down)?

Thanks for sharing your experiences. I'd like to know what I can (maybe) look forward to.

Replies

• Wtn_Gurl
    Wtn_Gurl Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I use a cpap machine every night. Just in case you are thinking about it one day, please do not just stop using it if you lose weight, unless you go to the doc/tech to make sure (get another sleep study when you lose your weight :)

I have not lost enough weight yet to do either, so i hope too one day to get off this crazy machine!!! i know it will be more comfortable without those tubes getting in the way at night, and i can lay my head on my pillow normally one day. so good luck to us both! :)
  • grandma6girls
    grandma6girls Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    My skinny little 9 year old granddaughter had a sleep study and she had sleep apnea because her tonsils and adenoids were too large. She had to have surgery to help her sleep apnea. So, I agree, make sure to go back for a sleep study before you stop your CPAP. Make sure you know why you need a CPAP. It might not be weight related. I use a CPAP also and I know there is no way I would stop using it until a Dr tells me to stop. My niece died in her sleep from a related illness of sleep apnea in November at 38 years old. She had taken a sleeping pill and when she stopped breathing during the night from sleep apnea, she didn't wake herself up enough to start breathing again. She did not use a CPAP. I know she would be alive today if she had had a CPAP on.
  • FP4HSharon
    FP4HSharon Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    It really depends on the person. Some people lose the weight & the apnea goes right away. Some have to keep the weight off for a while before it goes away. And for some people it never goes away. Usually the recording chip in your CPAP will tell them if you're having fewer episodes. If it looks like you might not need it, your doc can order another sleep study to see how it's doing. As the other poster said, definitely consult w/your doctor about whether to keep using it or not.