Dom Dom Dom DOMS

Options
I need some advise on DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness). Saturday I ran the stairs for 20 min, not too bad but my quads are sore, whatever. Yesterday I went hiking with a new pair of shoes and now my shins, calves, and ankles are so sore I can't touch them or sleep. My hike was only 1.5K, mostly on a road, which isn't a big deal, I frequently do WAY more than that, through snow, scree, or talus. To fall a sleep last night I required TWO ice packs to move around my ankles, calves and outer shins.

My question is could my new shoes (which are meant to correct my pronating) be doing this? Is it just my feet aren't used to it? And what can I do about it? I plan to take an epsom salt bath tonight (last night we didn't have any and we were all too tired from not getting enough sleep- unrelated- to go buy any).

So what could cause this and how can I fix it other than ice and epsom salt baths.

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    most likely are the shoes. I had inserts in my shoes to correct a foot issue- and I went for a run and could barely walk- my feet were cramping while I was running and the next day my body wasn't happy.

I would try to keep using the shoes as long as your only impact is being sore rather than pain- but back off and ease into it a little bit more. When I start running with my vibrams I have to work into it- if I go run 3 miles I'm fine- but the next day I can't walk- have to warm up to them if you will with some shorter- 'training' runs.

If it persists after several weeks- time to re-evaluate the shoes.
  • Oscarinmiami
    Oscarinmiami Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    lol..I thought this was about S & M
  • LTKeegan
    LTKeegan Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    lol..I thought this was about S & M

Lol. Well, I guess you S&M could be a type of fitness/exercise. I was thinking more of Beethoven's 5th symphony when writing the title.
  • LTKeegan
    Options
    most likely are the shoes. I had inserts in my shoes to correct a foot issue- and I went for a run and could barely walk- my feet were cramping while I was running and the next day my body wasn't happy.

I would try to keep using the shoes as long as your only impact is being sore rather than pain- but back off and ease into it a little bit more. When I start running with my vibrams I have to work into it- if I go run 3 miles I'm fine- but the next day I can't walk- have to warm up to them if you will with some shorter- 'training' runs.

If it persists after several weeks- time to re-evaluate the shoes.

Okay, thats what I was thinking but just wanted to check. What did you do about it? Just hobble around for a few days?
  • kellypence
    kellypence Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Try wearing the new shoes for your everyday activities for a bit. If they are designed to correct pronation, you are now using muscles throughout your legs that aren't used to it. While you're in pain; epsom soaks (if you like them), ice, and lots of gentle stretching. (P.S. I'm a Physical Therapist)
  • LTKeegan
    Options
    Try wearing the new shoes for your everyday activities for a bit. If they are designed to correct pronation, you are now using muscles throughout your legs that aren't used to it. While you're in pain; epsom soaks (if you like them), ice, and lots of gentle stretching. (P.S. I'm a Physical Therapist)

Thanks! I wish you had a super top secret PT treatment for my soreness. But I will try to wear them to school and what not once I'm less sore.

Thanks!
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    Uh, don't get mad now, but I've found I've had less aches and pains with 'barefoot shoes' - less support, but they make you move more naturally. The transition was a bit of a pain, but afterwards I had no more issues with ankles, knees or back.

Any change in gait will affect your muscles differently. Ever tried to wear flats after wearing heels all the time? Same thing.
  • mortuseon
    mortuseon Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Unrelated to your shoes, but tiger balm really helps me with DOMS
  • LTKeegan
    Options
    Uh, don't get mad now, but I've found I've had less aches and pains with 'barefoot shoes' - less support, but they make you move more naturally. The transition was a bit of a pain, but afterwards I had no more issues with ankles, knees or back.

Any change in gait will affect your muscles differently. Ever tried to wear flats after wearing heels all the time? Same thing.

I'm actually switching from barefoot shoes back to sneakers. Barefoot shoes are great and I wear my 5 fingers to crossfit... but they give me giant blisters when running outdoors and they don't do really well on trail runs (for me) there is a lot of sharp rocks and glass where I am and I don't feel like barefoot shoes provide enough protection from those hazards.

But I love barefoot shoes for indoors. :)
  • LTKeegan
    Options

Where do you get it? I've heard of it!
  • JoRocka
    Options

I'm actually switching from barefoot shoes back to sneakers. Barefoot shoes are great and I wear my 5 fingers to crossfit... but they give me giant blisters when running outdoors and they don't do really well on trail runs (for me) there is a lot of sharp rocks and glass where I am and I don't feel like barefoot shoes provide enough protection from those hazards.

did you try the socks?

I have been very happy with my socks- plus keeps out the stank.
  • LTKeegan
    Options

did you try the socks?

Yeah. My whole big toe turns into a blister and so does the ball of my foot right under my toe, even with socks :(
  • JoRocka
    Options
    did you try the socks?

Yeah. My whole big toe turns into a blister and so does the ball of my foot right under my toe, even with socks :(

that's poopy- sorry to hear that. I have had two pairs- never had any blistering issues. 5 fingers aren't great for everyone- for every thing- glad you figured it out quick and have a solution but didn't just write the shoes off themsleves!!!

I love mine for sprinting- you can really dig into the ground with your toes. :)

I could see how they wouldn't be so good for full blown trail running though! I did a 5 K in mine and it was on/off road- and it wasn't bad- but they were PA farm roads- or a back ATV road- so gravel- and hills- but not a trail trail.
  • Beezil
    Beezil Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    This post was not at all what I expected. ;(
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options

That's why I said the transition was a pain :happy:
    As for trail running, yup, tried it and ended up getting better at skipping between pebbles :tongue:
    Have a pair of trail shoes on order now...

Tiger balm - last tin I bought was somewhere in Chinatown. But a health food place would probably carry it.
  • mortuseon
    mortuseon Posts: 579 Member
    Options

Where do you get it? I've heard of it!

Think I got mine from Superdrug? (assuming you're in the UK). Pots are pricey but last a looong time.
  • asianrunner
    asianrunner Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Recently, (well a couple months ago) got custom orthotics for my shoes to help alleviate planar fasciitis. I also went to PT which helped quite a bit as well.

My sports med doctor said to start by wearing them for part of the day, building up when I felt like I could. The first day, my feet were really uncomfortable and the inserts felt so hard! But after a couple of days, I felt fine.

Next time, try wearing them when you're out and about or try wearing them for a half a day and then build up the amount of time.