For females 5'7-5'8

Options
Do any of you happen to weigh less than what is minimum for the height bracket? For example, do any of you weight 110-120? 120-128? I'd just like to hear about your overall health and if you are comfortable/happy with your size/body?

Pictures are welcome!

Replies

• FromHereOnOut
    FromHereOnOut Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    I am 5'8.5" and at my lightest (many years ago) I was low to mid 120s skinnyfat and it was totally unmaintainable. I am older & wiser now, and my current goal is to fit into the same size jeans as I wore then, but with an extra 20 pounds of muscle, in order to be fit & healthy and to be able to maintain the size on a normal caloric intake. I don't know how realistic my goal is, but I suspect I will find out before the year is out. :bigsmile:

Oh yeah, also, I was sick all the time back then too, and I was never once happy with the look of my body, because although my size was small, I still had fat squishing out everywhere. I know now that I wanted to be FIT, not skinny (aka, skinnyfat). And the good news is that by being fit, I can achieve the same size at a higher body weight and thus eat more daily, making it totally sustainable for life. :smile:

YMMV.
    Good luck.
  • AKbluedragonfly
    AKbluedragonfly Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'8" and my body tends to prefer to be right around 140. I've gotten down to 124, but only temporarily on a crash diet back in high school. No one even noticed I had lost weight. It was all just water weight and came right back. Plus I was an emotional mess.

I have gotten down to 130 through healthy diet and exercise about 2 years ago, but I started to get comments from coworkers like "When are you going to stop? Maybe you should just be happy where you're at." You could see my ribs when you looked at my back. You could see my ribs when I wore shirts with low necks. Even so, I still had fat on my stomach (where I tend to store it as you can see in my picture) and thighs. I realized I had reached a point where I was looking worse with every pound lost rather than better.

I think the important things to remember are that we all store fat differently and we can't control where we lose it from. I'd advise to stop worrying about the numbers and just see how you feel. I feel my best around 135-140, but what makes me most confident in my body is when I lift weights regularly. It's empowering to feel strong.
  • mtnstar
    mtnstar Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I am 5'8" and 125. I am working on toning up, I had 2 babies in the past 3 years and still a little flabby, but it's getting better! Some seem to think this is a low weight for the height, but it's where I have always felt my best, and I have a small frame.

I haven't posted a picture before, so it might take a few tries to work.

7d8b3df8-334b-4098-89c9-03e7b45e17ab_zps262a04da.jpg
  • phaml05
    phaml05 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'7" and 118. I'm trying to maintain at 120, but I'm happy where I'm at. I am Asian with a typical Asian build though so my frame is small and my bones are less dense. My mom and sisters think i should gain a little weight but my coworkers and friends think I'm fine. My BMI is actually right on the border between healthy and underweight. Right now Im thinking 'if I gain a couple of pounds, that's fine, but if I don't then that's fine too!'
  • Allyvegan
    Allyvegan Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    This is an older topic, but relevant to me now. I'm 5'8" and currently weigh 116 (BMI 17.6). I've honestly never felt better, and have healthfully and easily lost about 25 lbs in about 8 months. For the majority of that time I simply ate less food (portion-wise, not cutting anything out). I'm vegan and eat a well balanced diet, but don't count calories. I'm now working on getting back into running, gaining a bit of muscle mass and toning. I haven't felt this good while running since college! I believe I'm currently on the track to lose more (naturally), and am now learning how to maintain where I am.
  • iorahkwano
    iorahkwano Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'7" and I looked disgusting & too skinny at 110 & 120lbs. I had no muscle & looked like a scarecrow.

Right now I float around 133-136lbs and I'm happy at that.

I wouldn't go below 125 and wouldn't go above 140.
  • postrockandcats
    postrockandcats Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    BMI is such a limited scale. There are plenty of people who are perfectly healthy at an underweight BMI.
  • fitandfortyish
    fitandfortyish Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'7, tend to weight around 128lbs--I have a tiny frame (wrist is 5.5 inches). My calorie intake is around 1570 give or take depending on my exercise--rarely sick, tones of energy.
  • JennetteMac
    JennetteMac Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    I am 5'6.5" and my fav weight of all was 110. I felt fit and loved being easily the slimmest person at work/friends etc. I tried maintainance and have done my best to accept that I should give it time, not be too skinny etc. But I hate my current weight of 118, and am now having to go back to losing. Hey ho. We live and learn.
  • lizziesaint
    Options
    I am 5'7" with a small frame and normally hover between 115-120. I feel much better at 115 and try to keep my weight above 110. I think it depends on the person and the size of your frame, really. I feel uncomfortable and sluggish at anything over 120 despite that being a "normal" BMI and 115 being "underweight." I'm much more energetic 115 and look quite healthy.
  • DUCKIEGYRL
    DUCKIEGYRL Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I am 5'8 I was 261lbs. It's been 14 months I am down to 174 lbs. my goal weight is 150 that is for my body type. I have posted a pic below.

09/2012
    imagejpg6_zpsc0d6094c.jpg

4/6/2014
    imagejpg2_zps19f2490f.jpg
  • ishapeme
    ishapeme Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Wow! you look great. I’m 5’8 and I’m at 150 although I’m very muscular. I would like to lose 10 pounds and maintain an atheltic body type.
  • lsuz
    lsuz Posts: 74
    Options
    I'm 5'7" and I looked disgusting & too skinny at 110 & 120lbs. I had no muscle & looked like a scarecrow.

Right now I float around 133-136lbs and I'm happy at that.

I wouldn't go below 125 and wouldn't go above 140.

I totally agree. At that height, I've been 110 (crazy underweight looking, not healthy AT ALL, which surprised me) and 149 (a bit too much extra for me).

Aiming for 135.
  • Amandawith3kids
    Amandawith3kids Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    i was 110 pounds soaking wet in high school, and i did NOT look healthy at all. i was happiest with my shape at about 130. (i didnt own a scale)
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I am 5'6.5" and my fav weight of all was 110. I felt fit and loved being easily the slimmest person at work/friends etc. I tried maintainance and have done my best to accept that I should give it time, not be too skinny etc. But I hate my current weight of 118, and am now having to go back to losing. Hey ho. We live and learn.

I find the bolded part funny...sorry....but really???? feeling fit and being fit are two different things...

Anyway I am 5 ft 7 and I have weighed sub 130 and hated it...

I currently am 158 and wear a size 5/6 - may even get to a size 4 at some point...I am happy with my weight (looking to get down a few more pounds) but I prefer to have 20-22% BF...
  • janetteluparia
    janetteluparia Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I am 5'7 1/2 (and not shrinking at 50)! I am 152 now but my goal is 143. Right in the middle of the BMI scale. The last time I was 135 it was not sustainable. My mom is 5'7 and 135 pounds and she doesnt look good. I have more muscle mass and DD cup so I am built a little different.
  • a_stronger_me13
    a_stronger_me13 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    The "normal" or "healthy" weight brackets are based on averages of the female population to some extent I believe.

That being said, I will probably never cut down to anything lower than 145lbs at 5'8. Much lower than that and it just doesn't jive with the body composition and appearance that I am striving for. As far as "healthy", body fat is a better indicator than your weight.
  • belladilorenzo
    belladilorenzo Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I was 122lbs at one point (5'7") and probably as low as 118 due to stress and other personal factors. I didn't want to be that thin (I'm most comfortable at 135-155), but it just happened.

I was so sick and upset because I dropped a good 10-15lbs in two weeks.

http://imgur.com/BiAojfw

http://imgur.com/o7mXNrb (In the gray top)

I am naturally very curvy, so I was carrying it all in my chest.
  • a_stronger_me13
    a_stronger_me13 Posts: 812 Member
    Options

8lbs is pretty much negligible when it comes to appearance on someone that is your height.
  • hitsnooze
    hitsnooze Posts: 79
    Options
    i'm 5'7 and at my lowest i was 106. i liked it but nobody else did. i'm aiming for 120 this time as a start, but i might go down to 115. i refuse to go over 130ish, i have a small frame and hate the way it makes my hips look.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!