Anyone else sick of people pushing weight loss products?

Options
I am completely fed up with my friends and I need to rant here. I am so annoyed by all these people on my Facebook feed promoting Advocare. Here is the latest post, almost identical to all the others who are trying to get rich off of their friends:

"In October of 2013, a year after my third daughter was born, I was introduced to a company called AdvoCare. I found myself, over weight, having no energy, and trying to keep up with demands of working full time and raising three daughters. I was drinking energy drinks once or twice a day, and was still lagging. After starting on AdvoCare products, I lost 11 lbs in the first 24 days and have now lost another 13 lbs and 7 inches off of my waist!!!! And have more energy now to keep up with life! What are you waiting for???"

Well, I work full time and go to school full time and have two kids, two dogs, and a husband and I have lost 12 pounds this month WITHOUT buying expensive weight loss products!!!!! I want to scream it from the roof tops!!!

I can't post this on Facebook, even though I really want to, so I am ranting here. My best friend is involved with Advocare and another with Herbalife. UGH!!!!!

Anyone else feel this way?

Replies

• FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    If those were my friends I'd tell them, or they wouldn't be friends any more. Maybe you need some friends who aren't trying to take advantage of you to make money.
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    Smile and nod. I hate stuff being pushed on me also, you can keep your FB friends, I am pretty sure you can choose to block certain posts that promote merchandise, not sure about their personal ones promoting merchandise. If you "liked" their Herbalife or Advocare pages for the purpose of being a nice friend just go and unlike those pages and block them to prevent them from random postings in your feed.
  • oliverkatec
    oliverkatec Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    What I find funny is the friends I have from my old gym posting their successes and crazing income generation with Isagenix... yet half a dozen posts a week are check-ins from restaurants or happy hours!

The hide feature on Facebook has become a great tool.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    People always want a shortcut.
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    This isn't at all the same (well, vaguely related), but I had to giggle last night at this couple at the gym wearing Herbalife tank tops, complete with those buttons/pins that said I :heart: herbalife. Gee, think they're trying to advertise at the gym?
  • ebayaddict0127
    ebayaddict0127 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    My husband does Advocare and says it's a miracle. I disagree. I also disagree with all the other gimmicks out there because I've tried several of them. They don't work. Do what works for YOU.
  • Platypusimus
    Platypusimus Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    What I find funny is the friends I have from my old gym posting their successes and crazing income generation with Isagenix... yet half a dozen posts a week are check-ins from restaurants or happy hours!

The hide feature on Facebook has become a great tool.

Haha - this. I already started blocking posts from friends I otherwise like when the last presidential election season came through. I also block religious ranting. And excessive selfies. Why wouldn't I block posts from people trying to sell me stuff?
  • psmd
    psmd Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    Haha, I bought a package of Advocare a few years ago $200+, and it's still sitting here, I only used it a few days. I now sometimes use the drinks that I have left over, they are basically a multi-vitamin in a drink mix. Weight loss strategy, though? No way!