Nobody warned me (Warning, gross topic)

Options
Please stop reading here if you are easily offended. After 11 years in the fire service, certain taboo subjects become humorous conversations.

Nobody warned me that eating more vegetables would make my new, healthier eating habits, well, explosive. I can't imagine how gaseous emissions can be any healthier for me than my previous eating habits (or healthier for anyone standing close to me).

I hope we don't get any fires tonight. It would be dangerous to stand behind me....

Anyone else have this happen? What did you do?

Not that a few excessive noises around firefighters is too embarrassing, it's the medical patients that I feel sorry for.

Replies

• firegirlred
    firegirlred Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Please stop reading here if you are easily offended. After 11 years in the fire service, certain taboo subjects become humorous conversations.

Nobody warned me that eating more vegetables would make my new, healthier eating habits, well, explosive. I can't imagine how gaseous emissions can be any healthier for me than my previous eating habits (or healthier for anyone standing close to me).

I hope we don't get any fires tonight. It would be dangerous to stand behind me....

Not that a few excessive noises around firefighters is too embarrassing, it's the medical patients that I feel sorry for.
  • teetsel4
    teetsel4 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    There is a great kids book you should check out...."The Gas We Pass".. it will explain it all to you, super funny! :drinker:
  • tamifanny
    tamifanny Posts: 113
    Options
    So funny you posted this....

I am this moment have the worst stomach ache:sick: . I bought a ton of fruit yesterday and have been trying to eat fruit instead of chips etc for snacking.

I feel crampy & weird noises going on in there:sad: . I was thinking maybe I have IBS? I cut out my favorite sins....the wine, jalapeno kettle chips & icecream bars with nectarines, cantalope, watermelon, grapes...bananas. Well I lost 1 lb finally but is this normal to feel my stomach aching? I only had 2 pieces of fruit today & a big tomatoe with vinegar, salt & pepper too (of course not at the same time) among other healthy meals.

Can't win for loosing or in my case can't loose for winning:grumble:
  • honeybunchthree
    honeybunchthree Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    OOOOHHHHHHHH SSSTTTTIIINNKKKYYY!!!! Don;t take this the wrong way but, aim that thing somewhere else!::sick: :tongue:
  • firegirlred
    firegirlred Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Good thing "smell-o-vision" never worked out...
  • searls717
    Options
    I was diagnosed with IBS a couple of years ago and the best thing that the doctor told me to get to help with the bloating, excessive gas, etc was Charcoal tablets. This is over the counter, but you might have to get your pharmacist to order it. I found out from my doctor that he prescribes this a lot to help with IBS since they took Zelnorm off the market.

Good Luck! :flowerforyou:
  • Poison5119
    Poison5119 Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    You can try Beano tablets, but your best bet is to keep eating them and your system will acclimate to it within 10-14 days.
  • kitty6
    kitty6 Posts: 24
    Options
    Oh that happens to me when I eat fiber bars ( which I love ) you better watch out:laugh: My kids tell me to stay away from them:laugh:
  • obliged
    obliged Posts: 465
    Options
    Good thing "smell-o-vision" never worked out...

haha oh that would be nasty on certain shows!
    :sick:

just aim away from the fire and people
  • Fit2btied
    Fit2btied Posts: 486
    Options
    Those are all high fiber foods and your body is not used to all that. It can be very uncomfortable for you...and others!:laugh: You may want to cut your consumption of high fiber foods in half and work your way to the amount you are eating now. You don't mention beans, but you always want to rinse those before eating if they are canned! Good luck acclimating to a healthy high fiber diet!:flowerforyou:
  • lisabeavers
    Options
    go to walmart and buy concentrated cranberry pills. they are inexpensive and easy to take. take 3 or 4 in the morning and the same in the evening. gets rid of gas like magic.
  • OomarianneoO
    OomarianneoO Posts: 689 Member
    Options

Oh, I'm so glad you posted this. I was going to say something about this myself, but was afraid to bring it up. I have been so "gassy"! It's so embarrassing (at least it doesn't smell). I was on the elliptical the other day, and the whole time I was on there, I was trying not to "toot"! :laugh: I know it's because my eating habits have changed, but no one warned me about this either. :blushing:
  • Zeii
    Zeii Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    ROFL! I had the same issue when I first started to eat better. It gets less noisy after awhile. :laugh:
  • truckgrl106
    Options
    Yes, it is the curse of starting to eat right I'm afraid. But fear not, it does go away eventually...just your system adjusting..............or maybe I just got used to it, ha,ha. No seriously, it gets better and you just feel so much healthier without all that crud in your system!
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    Oh, I'm so glad you posted this. I was going to say something about this myself, but was afraid to bring it up. I have been so "gassy"! It's so embarrassing (at least it doesn't smell). I was on the elliptical the other day, and the whole time I was on there, I was trying not to "toot"! :laugh: I know it's because my eating habits have changed, but no one warned me about this either. :blushing:
    [/quote]

Edited by lmariannel on Sat 08/09/08 07:43 PM

Wow, I could have written this post! I'm the same way. I'm so glad this subject was brought up. I thought it was just me. :laugh:
  • iojoi
    iojoi Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    its sound funny but it can get quite serious if it persists
    anyone with IBS or other problems shoul introduce fibre gently a few years ago i got very ill and it was due to simular problems that ended up with constant D&V
    i found that probiotic drinks & yogurt helps the bloatedness and wind but when get worse and persistant i start again and introduce the fibre slowly and that works much better
    high fibre diets are not possible for everyone so u have to experiment a bit
  • MiaEllie
    MiaEllie Posts: 84
    Options
    Your body should eventually get used to the new fiber and fruit and veggies. To help it get adjusted more quickly, you can take probiotics after every meal. Some people eat yogurt for the probiotics, however, yogurt doesn't have enough of these in it to really make a difference. It takes many billions of these good bacteria to be helpful in any way. It is much better to take probioitc capsules that have an enteric coating, which means that they have a special coating to prevent most of the good bacteria from being killed in your digestive juices (stomach acids). A very good brand to use is SUPREMA DOPHILUS by VitaBase. This particular probiotic is also suitable for vegetarians or vegans since there are no animal ingredients. It's also a good idea to take probiotics after being on an antibiotic. :flowerforyou:
  • jamerz3294
    jamerz3294 Posts: 1,824 Member
    Options
    Hehehe... now if you were a guy, you would be quite proud of your new found ability! In fact, passing gas is in fact a requirement of being a guy, under certain, usually public, places, especially when with your girlfriend or wife!
  • OomarianneoO
    OomarianneoO Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    Hehehe... now if you were a guy, you would be quite proud of your new found ability! In fact, passing gas is in fact a requirement of being a guy, under certain, usually public, places, especially when with your girlfriend or wife!

I know that all too well! Hubby will let one rip in the middle of the isle at the grocery store and then turn around and blame it on me! Oooo, I could just smack him!
  • jamerz3294
    jamerz3294 Posts: 1,824 Member
    Options

I know that all too well! Hubby will let one rip in the middle of the isle at the grocery store and then turn around and blame it on me! Oooo, I could just smack him!

Oh yes, one of our favorite tricks too. If the wife isn't available, the dog is always a good person to blame!