Ravenous by lunch

Options
Hey guys :)

Just looking for some tips...
I've been counting calories for about 3 weeks now, 1,200 a day, occasionally I'll waiver to 1,300. I've started working out a few days a week, attempting to keep it at about 700-900 each time.
I haven't lost a stitch of weight... not completely understanding that...but maybe it's just because I haven't been working out enough.

I find that I'm starving in the afternoon between about 11-4 (really freakin long time)
Any suggestions on what to do to not overeat or over snack?
Any breakfast ideas?

Replies

• milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Breakfast should be something substantial. Eggs, peanut butter, oatmeal all work good for me. Sometimes a mid morning snack of almonds helps as well as drinking plenty of water. I like to have 8oz first thing in the morning.
  • mabelesparza3
    Options
    Have a great breakfast, do lots of veggies (bell peppers, spinach, mushrooms, tomato, onion, herbs) in an 4 egg white omelet with maybe a 1/4 cup of low-fat cottage cheese. I also drink a lot of warm flavored teas. I have also been eating the light Greek yogurts. Water that you have flavored at home (frozen blueberries and lemon slices or cucumber and lime slices) This has helped curb my cravings and making sure you get some protein at lunch and lots of veggies. Good luck
  • dsb188
    dsb188 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if you a vegan, vegeterian, or a meat eater but I find that peanuts or peanut butter keep me full. Also bananas and peanut butter are a great workout food before a workout. So you might want to try those. They keep me pretty full.
  • StephanieOugh2014
    StephanieOugh2014 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I would definitely increase your calories on days you are working out. If you consume 1200 and burn 900 at the gym, you are really only fueling your body with 300 calories. Also, you may not be losing weight because you are building muscle. See how your clothes are fitting. Adding healthy snacks like an apple and 1 oz. of cheese or celery and real PB will help with the hunger. Plus water water water! Hope this helps.
  • NancyH66
    NancyH66 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    how tall are you? 1200 calories is really not very much. Also what exercise are you doing that burns 700 to 900 calories? Are you logging your food? Are you eating your exercise calories back?
  • njitaliana
    njitaliana Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you need to eat more. You said you are hungry between 11-4. Aren't you eating lunch?
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    Use those exercise calories (or half of them anyway, 700-900 seems unlikely, but you don't say what you do or for how long) and eat a hearty snack.
  • ixa73
    ixa73 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    How hungry you are can depend on what type of food you are eating. Sugar has the effect of stimulating your appetite so if you are eating high carb refined foods like bread (esp white), rice, pasta, cereals, muesli bars etc you'll get hungry faster. I couldn't see your food diary so I have no idea what you're eating but try eating protein in the morning like eggs (no bread or choose dark rye or a good quality multigrain) eat a handful of nuts when you want a snack (not peanuts and not roasted) try brasil nuts, macadamias, walnuts, almonds. If you are eating fruit choose low sugar high fibre - pears are awesome. The highest sugar comes from bananas, apples, grapes so avoid them - even though they are the most readily available and do have other benefits. Berries like raspberries and blueberries are great (but they are also expensive). Dutch pumpernickel bread is really heavy and filling and packed with fibre - its an acquired taste though :) I like it with a slice of cheese. Drink lots of water and avoid any diet fizzy drinks, juice etc.

Some days you're just going to be hungry- I've been hungry all day today and totally blew my calories by lunch!! I think where you are in your cycle also plays a role in your hunger.

Not sure what you meant with trying to stay between 700-900 do you mean you only eat 1200 for the day and then burn off 300-500 calories? That will make you hungry for sure. You can eat back your exercise calories and still happily lose weight this is supposed to be a life style choice not punishment :) I work out 4-5 days a week and eat back most of my calories. I exercise to change my body fat percentage and give me the shape I want - the food aspect is to help me lose weight and give my body good nutrition to keep up the muscles I'm trying to build.