Go to snacks for a sweet craving?

Options
Kidsonic
Kidsonic Posts: 18 Member
Hi all,

I am recently getting back on track after having my second baby. I am really struggling with my diet! I'm trying to not be too hard on myself if I go over my calories (planning on getting a bit more strict there once I'm no longer breastfeeding and am sleeping through the night) but I am trying to make healthier choices.

My sweet tooth is just killing me! I could really use some ideas for healthy(er) snacks for when you're craving something sweet. There's only so many apples and peanut butter I can take!

Replies

• zillah73
    zillah73 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Fresh berries (raspberries, blackberries and blueberries) in a little flax milk. Delicious, naturally sweet. Can't get enough!
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    My mother in law freezes bananas dipped in a little bit of chocolate which are delicious!
  • Akamomme
    Akamomme Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Frozen strawberries are my go to. :) Totally yummy! And having to wait for them to melt in your mouth means that you eat them slower... I tend to feel "full" after about half a serving, which is about 25 calories.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Mangoes, cantaloupe, watermelon, peaches, nectarines, apricots, dates, grapefruit, oranges, strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, blackberries, plums, grapes, etc. There are many varieties of each type of fruit, too, so there should never really be any boredom, if you branch out.
  • GertrudeHorse
    GertrudeHorse Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    Fruit, yoghurt, chocolate, some sort of home-made dessert like chocolate protein pie, um....a hot chocolate drink...depends on the nature of the sweet craving and how many calories I have to spare that day.
  • cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,396 Member
    Options
    Ghiradelli dark chocolate chips. 40 calories for 8 chips. Eat them one at a time, let 'em melt in your mouth. Yum. That's if you can restrict yourself to just 8!
  • charlieibeling
    charlieibeling Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    i like dominating lettuce with calorie free walden farms dressings. some of their dressings are sweet. Ive been known to knock down an entire head of lettuce with one sitting this way.
  • GertrudeHorse
    GertrudeHorse Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    i like dominating lettuce with calorie free walden farms dressings. some of their dressings are sweet. Ive been known to knock down an entire head of lettuce with one sitting this way.

This actually makes me feel really sad.

P.S. What, praytell, does a calorie free dressing contain? Just vinegar?
  • yungibear
    yungibear Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I found that if I lightly pan fry a banana with minimal oil, the natural sugars in the banana gets intensely sweet.
  • missdibs1
    missdibs1 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    strawberries (I buy frozen DOLE) and sugar free whipped heavy cream Land o lakes (20 calories)
  • BrieFit18
    BrieFit18 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Small, whole wheat wrap with natural peanut butter and granola!
  • princessnarmor
    princessnarmor Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Pretty much any kind of fruit is good unless you have issues with carbs. Berries are low on the glycemic index and so enter your blood stream more slowly. If you eat your fruit with some kind of protein (greek yogurt or cottage cheese) you metabolize the sugar slower too.

Lately I've been buying Torani flavorings (which will make the healthy world cringe because it has splenda in it) but I mix the sugar free mango with greek yogurt and add celery. Sometimes I add fruit to the plain yogurt and add a flavoring. I've even added sugar free candy to the cherry or the raspberry or strawberry. You can mix the raspberry and chocolate together and it will remind you of a dark chocolate raspberry candy.

I also buy some of the sugar free ice creams and instead of a bowl of it (which I might overeat) I put it on a normal ice cream cone (no sugar).

If you aren't as sensitive to sugar as I am, you might try some of the organic trail mixes from your grocery store. They tend to be lower in sugar.

To cut sugar cravings, I use either green tea with an artificial sweetener (I'm a sweetener person because I'm actually allergic to sugar) or coffee with creamer and a flavor. The stronger these are with caffeine the more of the craving they will cut.
  • cottagegirl71
    cottagegirl71 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    "just apples" applesauce with a wee drizzle of real maple syrup....yum!
  • jenmom2myboys
    jenmom2myboys Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    apple with pb
  • asianrunner
    asianrunner Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I like no sugar added applesauce. A serving is fairly low in calories.

Fruit of course.

A little bit of pb smeared on a graham cracker is pretty tasty as well. Also like the pb/dark chocolate Nature Valley protein bars. Isn't overly sweet and tastes better than most protein bars in my opinion.
  • aqualeo1
    aqualeo1 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I like vitatops. They're like a little chocolate cake with chocolate chips in it. They taste amazing in the microwave and they're only 100 calories. High fiber and lots of vitamins in them too.
  • connectedcats
    connectedcats Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Dried fruit is higher in calories, but can sometimes satisfy a sweet craving more. Apricots, dates, raisins, prunes, apple, avoid any with added sugar though, the natural sugars are intensified enough with drying. Put out a portion, don't sit with the bag next to you :wink:
  • bunny1006
    bunny1006 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    bump
  • mxmkenney
    mxmkenney Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    I like vitatops. They're like a little chocolate cake with chocolate chips in it. They taste amazing in the microwave and they're only 100 calories. High fiber and lots of vitamins in them too.

I second this. The chocolate chip banana one is my favorite! :tongue:
  • kyley_ann
    kyley_ann Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    As others have said, fruit is really the best go-to for sweet cravings, I think. I've started having greek yogurt + honey + granola + berries for breakfast, and the combination is really heavenly and totally satisfies all cravings--it's sweet from the honey and berries, it has some nice crunch from the granola, i like the tartness of greek yogurt, and it fills me up all day. Occasionally Ihave a smaller portion of this when I want dessert; I've found it to be a great ice cream substitute!

Also, for me, as I have less of a food, the cravings diminish. So sometimes avoiding processed sugar treats entirely for, say, 7-10 days, can help reset your taste buds, and make is easier in the long-term, even if that week is hard.