Setting a goal weight?

Options
2»

Replies

• toronto_j
    toronto_j Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I'm around the same height and started at the same weight...now I'm in the mid-180s. My first goal weight is 170, and then I will evaluate from there. You're not married to any number, though goals of some kind do help, IMO. Maybe try 10 or 20 first?
  • 160 lbs is perfect …. which is a BMI of 24 which is considered very healthy, but slightly depends on your age. If it sounds too daunting, why not shoot for 35 lbs, see how you go ...:smile:

Helen
  • Loralrose
    Loralrose Posts: 203
    Options
    Thanks so much to everyone for your advice! I think I'll keep the 40 lbs goal, but set smaller targets for short-term.

Part of the reason why it seems so daunting is that I've never been that small in my life! In high school I was very active, very fit, and still weighted at least 175. But it's something to work towards, and I can always re-evaluate as I get closer to that ultimate goal.
  • ericscontreras
    Options
    I suggest to always set goals with both a number and a time frame. I completely agree that you should break the major goal into chunks For example; if you are trying to lose 40lbs, break that down to 5-10lbs a month.

Starting with 5lbs you will be at your goal weight in 8 months. Not fast enough?... 10lbs means 4 months

Create daily goals like 20 minutes of medium-vigorous activity or keeping snacks to only nuts and veggies. Weekly goals like mastering a exercise movement or finishing an entire spin class, etc.

Try not to focus strictly on weight, keep tabs on changes in waist and hip sizes and body fat %, because your results may not show on the weight scale all the time, but that doesn't mean you are not moving forward.

Last suggestion, Celebrate your accomplishments! Meet a goal reward yourself with a new outfit, a night out with friends, or even a wonderful expensive dinner.
  • quepretty288
    quepretty288 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Smaller goals like 5 or 10 lbs at a time are easier to reach. I think it's more encouraging to....baby steps.
  • JengaJess
    JengaJess Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Hey! I'm between 5'9" and 5'10" and my highest weight was around 205-210 lbs.
    I lost a lot of weight in a short period of time, and dropped down to 157.
    After a bad car accident and a death of a loved one, I put a lot of that weight back on.
    In August, I weighed in at 183 lbs. Joined MFP in late January, and I'm now down to 167! I'm 10 lbs away from my goal weight.
    My point is, you can totally do it!

What I'm doing now that has helped me is I established that goal weight of 157 because I remembered what I looked like and felt like, and I was happy.
    But I've established smaller milestones along the way. I usually set small 2 month goals. Every 2 months I try to lose between 5-7 pounds. Setting these attainable goals has really helped to keep me motivated, confident and wanting to continue.
    I'm getting closer to my goal weight, and realizing that the number doesn't matter as much as how I feel, how I look and the amount of physical activity I can do now.
    Good luck! You can do it!