Way under my calorie goal

Options
Hi everyone. So it's past 8:30 here with me. I am about 600 calories under my goal of 1470. I have no idea what to eat and honestly I haven't even been reaching 1200 cals a day. I just don't know what to eat. I feel I eat fine but I know I'm not doing my body any good when I'm barely eating 700-1000 cals on any given day (without adding my exercise). I have a doctor's appointment on Friday. It's just a general check up. So I'll talk to my doctor about it, but just thought I'd ask here also. Maybe someone else is having the same problem I am

Replies

• veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    Toast or fruit with peanut butter. Avocado. Nuts of any kind. Those are high calorie and delicious.
  • nikkihk
    nikkihk Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    How is this a problem? Go have an ice cream bar!! A Hamburger!! A large french fry!! There are a dozen things you can eat to make up 600 calories and all of them taste good! TWO slices of pizza!! I could do this all night...
  • baberzoo1
    baberzoo1 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    So what did you eat that got you to the point of wanting to lose weight?
  • rak173
    rak173 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I have been having the same problem. Currently, I am enjoying a couple oreos and milk :) I plan to buy some healthier cereal so I can have that instead of junk food.
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. So it's past 8:30 here with me. I am about 600 calories under my goal of 1470. I have no idea what to eat and honestly I haven't even been reaching 1200 cals a day. I just don't know what to eat. I feel I eat fine but I know I'm not doing my body any good when I'm barely eating 700-1000 cals on any given day (without adding my exercise). I have a doctor's appointment on Friday. It's just a general check up. So I'll talk to my doctor about it, but just thought I'd ask here also. Maybe someone else is having the same problem I am

I really don't understand, with all due respect.
    If you need to lose 70 pounds you obviously know how and what to eat, because otherwise you would not be overweight. You can eat some of the same stuff, just less. You can also make yourself a plan to eat more healthful things some of the time and other food some other times. Just do some of the same stuff as before, but in moderation and at a deficit. I can't believe that all of a sudden people forget how to eat just because they started to exercise and eat in moderation.....I know I didn't and have no problems eating my daily calories nd I am willing to bet that I am just one of many.
  • Jewlz280
    Jewlz280 Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    I think maybe you're taking the whole 'healthy eating' thing too far. I know it's tempting to cut out ALL high calorie foods when you change your eating habits and start counting calories, but don't do it. Keep the protein and the good fats. Go have some avocado with salt and pepper and maybe a few whole grain chips, 4 tbsp. of PB and a big juicy apple, yogurt with some graham crackers, or even a bowl of ice cream. People often cut fat when dieting, but that is a major mistake. So, tomorrow and from now on, remember to find a way to add in those oils, nuts, and butters! Your calorie count, brain, hair, and body will thank you. :bigsmile:
  • mg_alva
    mg_alva Posts: 37
    Options

Let's see. Huge burgers, large fries, whole tray of chinese food, super large breakfast sandwiches, huge portions and double helpings of mom's cooking. All that and more to the point of being more than full. I don't think those are things I should be eating or doing now
  • mg_alva
    Options

I really don't understand, with all due respect.
    If you need to lose 70 pounds you obviously know how and what to eat, because otherwise you would not be overweight. You can eat some of the same stuff, just less. You can also make yourself a plan to eat more healthful things some of the time and other food some other times. Just do some of the same stuff as before, but in moderation and at a deficit. I can't believe that all of a sudden people forget how to eat just because they started to exercise and eat in moderation.....I know I didn't and have no problems eating my daily calories nd I am willing to bet that I am just one of many.

I would like to be like you. To know exactly what to eat and have the easiest transition ever. But if I do need to loose 70 lbs it's because obviously I didn't know how to eat or what to eat. People don't forget what to eat. They've been used to eating whatever all the time, and junk all the time. I do eat health foods. That's all I eat. And because they're health foods, they're not full of fats and sky high in calories. So that's where my problem comes in. Maybe you didn't mean any disrespect, but that kind of reply sure doesn't make anyone feel hopeful
  • 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    Don't start demonizing food. You can still eat all of those things, just eat smaller portions of them or 1 serving. They key to success is to eat at a reasonable deficit, use a food scale to weigh all of your solid food and measure all of your liquids.

Read this and all the links in it: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • them_and_me
    them_and_me Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you're jumping to the opposite end of the spectrum and trying to cut out everything and anything deemed unhealthy. Do you feel a diet like this is sustainable? You don't have to cut out everything you enjoy, you just have to eat less of it so you're still hitting your calorie targets. When you get your tray of chinese food, portion out and calculate what you can have to eat that fits with in your daily calories and put the rest away.

Hope you can find the right balance for a healthy weight loss :)
  • echofm1
    echofm1 Posts: 471 Member
    Options

Let's see. Huge burgers, large fries, whole tray of chinese food, super large breakfast sandwiches, huge portions and double helpings of mom's cooking. All that and more to the point of being more than full. I don't think those are things I should be eating or doing now

You can still have half a tray of Chinese food, or moderately sized breakfast sandwiches, or a normal portion of your mom's cooking. You didn't get overweight just because you ate things deemed unhealthy, but because you ate lots of them. In addition, there are lots of more health-conscious ways to add calories to your diet. Cook with butter or olive oil (or your preferred oil of choice). Eat more avocados. Bananas are like 90-110 calories a piece. Eat a steak, or some chicken if you've decided you're afraid of steak.

Snack on nuts, full-fat milk products like Greek yogurt and cheese. Granola bars. There are a million ways to add calories to your diet.
  • mg_alva
    Options
    Sounds like you're jumping to the opposite end of the spectrum and trying to cut out everything and anything deemed unhealthy. Do you feel a diet like this is sustainable? You don't have to cut out everything you enjoy, you just have to eat less of it so you're still hitting your calorie targets. When you get your tray of chinese food, portion out and calculate what you can have to eat that fits with in your daily calories and put the rest away.

I think I should blame my sister. She's made fear salt even. I definitely acknowledge that I am taking the "healthy eating" idea too far. I just don't know how to balance it all out and meet in the middle. It's easy to become overweight. It's not so easy when you've been eating a certain way for years and then try to change those habits all of a sudden. I will talk to my doctor on Friday and see in what direction he can point me to
  • twhaley1990
    twhaley1990 Posts: 140 Member
    Options

You can still have half a tray of Chinese food, or moderately sized breakfast sandwiches, or a normal portion of your mom's cooking. You didn't get overweight just because you ate things deemed unhealthy, but because you ate lots of them. In addition, there are lots of more health-conscious ways to add calories to your diet. Cook with butter or olive oil (or your preferred oil of choice). Eat more avocados. Bananas are like 90-110 calories a piece. Eat a steak, or some chicken if you've decided you're afraid of steak.

Snack on nuts, full-fat milk products like Greek yogurt and cheese. Granola bars. There are a million ways to add calories to your diet.

I agree with all of these suggestions. Olive oil, nuts/nut butter, avocados, and bananas are definitely some tasty ways to increase calories. And maybe have a snack between breakfast and lunch and lunch and dinner, like a banana or yogurt or nutrition/granola bar. And even with that, you may still be able to sneak in a couple of pieces of chocolate ;)
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Have a can of raw unsalted almonds around for just such occasions. Quality protein, quality fat, ton of calories for the weight. Seriously a handful of almonds is like 200 calories easily and they are pretty snackable.

Don't succumb to the idea that eating under your goal is a good thing. Your goal is your goal, try to hit it. If you find yourself naturally coming under that's great because itll be easy to just pop a few almonds and be set. Its harder when you find yourself consistently over your goal.

If for some reason you hate almonds any nut will do basically.
  • mg_alva
    Options

I agree with all of these suggestions. Olive oil, nuts/nut butter, avocados, and bananas are definitely some tasty ways to increase calories. And maybe have a snack between breakfast and lunch and lunch and dinner, like a banana or yogurt or nutrition/granola bar. And even with that, you may still be able to sneak in a couple of pieces of chocolate ;)

I definitely snack between each meal. I guess what I'll do now is instead of getting fat free yogurt I'll buy the next one up and see how I do with that. When I use olive oil, I've been using half the serving size, so I'll up that too
  • them_and_me
    Options

I think I should blame my sister. She's made fear salt even. I definitely acknowledge that I am taking the "healthy eating" idea too far. I just don't know how to balance it all out and meet in the middle. It's easy to become overweight. It's not so easy when you've been eating a certain way for years and then try to change those habits all of a sudden. I will talk to my doctor on Friday and see in what direction he can point me to

Talking to your doc is a great idea to make sure you approach your weight loss in the healthiest way for YOU. Great suggestions from everyone here as well.

Do you plan out your food for the day or just wing it? It helps a lot for me to know what I'm going to be eating and calculating it out before I stuff it ALL down the hatch :) I know how much to eat and I stick to it.
  • mg_alva
    Options
    Have a can of raw unsalted almonds around for just such occasions. Quality protein, quality fat, ton of calories for the weight. Seriously a handful of almonds is like 200 calories easily and they are pretty snackable.

Don't succumb to the idea that eating under your goal is a good thing. Your goal is your goal, try to hit it. If you find yourself naturally coming under that's great because itll be easy to just pop a few almonds and be set. Its harder when you find yourself consistently over your goal.

If for some reason you hate almonds any nut will do basically.

I love almonds. I have a jar of almond butter in my fridge right now. I love all things nut except peanuts/peanut butter. My sister has made me afraid of cheese as well. I should stop listening to her:grumble:
  • mg_alva
    Options
    [/quote]
    Talking to your doc is a great idea to make sure you approach your weight loss in the healthiest way for YOU. Great suggestions from everyone here as well.

Do you plan out your food for the day or just wing it? It helps a lot for me to know what I'm going to be eating and calculating it out before I stuff it ALL down the hatch :) I know how much to eat and I stick to it.
    [/quote]

I've just winging it, taking sometimes so long to think about what I'm gonna eat that I just settle on steamed veggies and a bland chicken. But on Sunday I decided that I would find 2 or 3 recipes that I really liked at the beginning of each week, make the whole recipe (which are usually 4 serving per recipe) and eat them as my meals throughout the week. That way I know what I'm eating, enjoying it, and balancing my nutrition without so many headaches
  • mg_alva
    Options

I've just been winging it, taking sometimes so long to think about what I'm gonna eat that I just settle on steamed veggies and a bland chicken. But on Sunday I decided that I would find 2 or 3 recipes that I really liked at the beginning of each week, make the whole recipe (which are usually 4 serving per recipe) and eat them as my meals throughout the week. That way I know what I'm eating, enjoying it, and balancing my nutrition without so many headaches
  • them_and_me
    Options
    I'm sure your sister's heart is in the right place. There are a lot of common misconceptions about weight loss and nutrition out there that science has laid the smack down on.

Pre-planning what I'm going to eat (for the day) has been a huge help for me. Give it an earnest try and I hope it will work for you too!