over 60..... looking for friends of a similar age

Options
WJZR
WJZR Posts: 98 Member
Hi, I am over 60. I know losing is hard for everyone, but think its especially hard when you are older.... at least it is for me. My prior friends have dropped off, no longer are active with MFP.

Friend me?

Replies

• mphotdol
    mphotdol Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi.
    I'm over 60 and I just rejoined. I am determined to drop some weight, build lean muscle and do what it takes to fit into my clothing from when I was in my mid - late 50's. I was in some of the best shape back then. I moved to NH after an active and full life style. NH is not user friendly (for me) and I do not feel welcomed. I stopped doing things. Now I have to step up to the plate and get my life going. I hope to move back to civilization within the year.
    I plan to learn about fasting and I just started an at home workout program.
    How about you?
  • missyfit13
    missyfit13 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Hi

I just turned 70 and want to lose 15-20 lbs. Right now I'm at 158 and really need to get back down to 138-140. That is where I felt the best and could maintain. Not sure how to "friend" someone, but would like to friend with my age group of 60 and over.:smile:
  • VickieZureich
    VickieZureich Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm a little over 60 and need more Friends that are active and engage...I have a few but Always Welcome more...Vickie Zureich
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    All you ladies are more than welcome to join the group Women 50+ here. We are a very chatty group. Love to encourage each other, talk about our grand kids and fur babies, life, diets, exercise
  • farway
    farway Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    If a bloke can join in ladies? I was 71 yesterday so in the age range, reached my goal weight and now looking to maintain at this weight, which may take trial & error

Feel free to add me
  • KeithChanning
    KeithChanning Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I'm rather like farway (only younger - I'm not 65 for a couple of months). I have been maintaining since last August, having dropped from 94kg to 70kg.
  • Mazb1953
    Mazb1953 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I've only just joined. I am 60 and am having problems finding the right way to lose the weight I put on since being post menopausal!

It seems everything I try - you name it I've tried the diet - just doesn't want to shift the weight. Then just over a year ago I moved to another country (Spain) and the weight piled on.

I still work (online for the same company as before) but cannot seem to shift the extra 28 pounds that have gone on. I definitely need some support in this as my other half never put on an ounce!

Losing weight when younger was never a problem it is only now that it doesn't want to shift. Others going through the same would be much appreciated support and friends.

I even got a rescue dog to make sure that I walked twice a day before and after work and I have managed to lose 7 pounds but that is all.

Sorry if I've posted this in the wrong place but I am still finding my way around.

Thanks.
  • sandiebro
    sandiebro Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Hi

I'm 63 and have been logging calories on MFP for a few weeks.

I need to lose weight and get fitter generally. I had some severe gallbladder pains for 3 weeks in March and the experience has given me a kick up the rear. As a result, I'm following a low-fat diet and have lost a few pounds already and am feeling so much better. I hope to continue.

I've invested in a turbo trainer for my bike, a new set of weighing scales arrived lunch time so hope the enthusiasm doesn't wane.
  • Sandis99
    Sandis99 Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi, I'm 62 and just joined this site. I got a diagnosis of pre-diabetic and the dietician recommended this site.

I'm still trying to find my way.

Sandi
  • Suzhome01
    Suzhome01 Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi, everyone, glad to find you. I am 63, (for another month, at least) and have re-joined after several years' hiatus. I am hoping to lose at least 30-40 pounds, and get back to the place on the chart where my BMI is in the acceptable range. Over the past 5 years, the weight slowly crept up to 168 a few months ago. Then, I found out I needed surgery, which occurred on 3/11/14, and I've spent the past 7-8 weeks recovering from that. I have to return to work next week, so about 10 days ago, I resumed a walking exercise program (Walk at Home) and have managed to get up and do it every day. I'm proud of myself for that. The big challenge now is to get my diet under control. I start every day full of resolve, and it all melts away later in the afternoon! I'm looking for some good diet plans, because I'm not so good at making them myself.

I agree, it is much harder to get in shape and stay in shape when we are older, and was surprised how long it took me to come back from the surgery this time...not like the last medical adventure I had when I was 55---I was up and around in half the time they predicted. By that logic, I believe it is probably twice as important now to become and remain fit.

My hubby is not very encouraging, so I am joining in here in hopes of some encouragement from the virtual community! Sie
  • dmel9375
    dmel9375 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am 53 and have been struggling with my weight since being diagnosed with Thyroid disease. I would like to join the 50 plus club. :smile:
  • skinnybirdy2
    skinnybirdy2 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am 61 and went back to weightwatchers about 5 weeks ago. So far, I've lost 11.2 lb. and feeling great. I'm a lifetime member, but they have recently revamped the program with the Simple Start, or Simply Filling foods, and it is easier than ever. No counting points for the power foods, just the "indulgences," which you can have 7 pts. worth a day. Very easy.
  • alexandriabenson
    alexandriabenson Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am over 60 and just joined this site yesterday. I hope to loose about 20 pounds and need all the help I can get. I lost 30 pounds a couple of years ago on a low carb diet but have gradually gained 15 pounds back. I have tried low carb again but it makes me feel unwell so I am going to try healthy eating while keeping my calorie and fat intake within the recommended guidelines. I attend an exercise group for people in my age group and we meet twice a week. I need all the help and encouragement I can get to keep me motivated. :smile:
  • louise5712
    louise5712 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi... I am new on the MFP life style. But I am orignally from the border of NH near Nashua. NH can be a great state if you are an outdoors person as you have the mountains which are beautiful. I now live in FL and enjoy it here as they say "we live in Paradise" but along with that it's an easy life and I gained weight. I am now on the down side. I started 7 days ago and have lost 6 lbs. Hope you find NH a more pleasant place since it's going on summer.
  • louise5712
    louise5712 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am new to this MFP lifestyle. I had lost 50 lbs but unfortunatly gain most of it back. I ballroom dance 3 night a wk so I get exercise but my job has me sitting 8hrs a day. Making it hard to loose. I need help also. good luck
  • retiredholly54
    retiredholly54 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I will turn 60 at the end of the month - just started this program so I need help and encouragement also.
  • Healthydiner65
    Healthydiner65 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    I am 62 and here daily to offer and receive support to anyone with an open food diary who participates.
  • Kirkland13
    Kirkland13 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

I am 62, personal trainer in my past, emotional eater and sugar addict...Now the good news...I'm down 7 lbs and have 17 to go.
    Starting weight was 170; current weight is 163 and I'm 5'5".

I've been in and out of this site for a few years but rejoined making a full committment THIS time as two of my sisters (on this site) and I are heading on a family trip in November....those two won't be at their goals this year..but next year I know they will do it.

I've helped countless women achieve their goal weights and yet I'm just as human and emotions took control.

My goal is 145 and then get down to 140. I'm pretty fit but need improving :)
    Good luck and keep in touch
    cheers,
    Maureen (B.C. Canada)
  • AdeAbbey
    AdeAbbey Posts: 2
    Options
    Hi! Just joined a wk ago. Mid-60s. Female. Deafblind. Just told I am pre-diabetic and need to watch carbs and lose some weight. Not sure how to do this online stuff. Hope someone will guide me a little? Thanks!
  • AdeAbbey
    AdeAbbey Posts: 2
    Options
    I'm 66 female. Hard of Hearing & legally blind from genetic disorder called Usher syndrome. I have high triglycerides and on Simvastatin + Fish Oil. Now, just found out that I am pre-diabetic, too! Perhaps, we can share info as they come around? I'm trying to do the Paleo Code way for my meals. Trying to stay off sugar and the carbs. But, clinic said that MFP is a good site to work on lowering my pre-diabetes number of 120.