Can we share some simple recipes?

Options
KaHam6
KaHam6 Posts: 36
Hey all!

Im still a bit new to all of this and am just short on some good dinner ideas. It would be awesome if anyone has some easy, affordable, lowish calorie recipes they would like to share. Thanks! :love:

Replies

• kwedman488
    kwedman488 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    This is my dinner right now:

1 bag lettuce mix (20 cals)
    4 oz diced chicken (110 cals)
    3 tbsp lite Caesar dressing (105 cals)
    1/4 cup mozzarella cheese fat free (45 cals)
    2 tbsp Caesar croutons (60 cals)

Total: 340 cals

Before I have done Greek yogurt chicken by putting a blended mix of mozzarella cheese and plain Greek yogurt with garlic salt and pepper on top of chicken breasts before sticking in the oven to bake (recipe is on mfp somewhere).

I've also done a ton of veggies steamed with chicken and cheese till that got old
  • onionparsleysage
    onionparsleysage Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Taco salads!

Chop lettuce & tomatoes, put in a bowl (add avocados if you're OK with a bit more fat)
    Brown ground beef with taco seasoning
    Drain beef & eat on top of the lettuce & tomatoes with a dollop of salsa and maybe a bit of shredded cheese

Like tacos but healthier & more filling per calorie
  • sshintaku
    sshintaku Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Bean mix from Safeway soaked over night
    Chicken broth
    Turkey bacon or ham chunks (or leave this out)
    Salt, garlic powder, paprika.
    Dump in crockpot, cook all day.

$5 meal, roughly 400 calorie dinner.
  • KaHam6
    KaHam6 Posts: 36
    Options
    Thanks, these all sound great!:smile:
  • frecklesandfries
    frecklesandfries Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Throw in a stock pot:
    1 lb of ground lean beef cooked
    1 can of corn
    1 can of black beans
    1 can of pinto beans
    1 can of rotel
    1 packet of taco seasoning mix

Heat up. Serve in a big bowl with sliced avocado, salsa and a few tortilla chips. Super easy, low in calories high in fiber. The soup freezes well too if you want to make extra or save leftovers! Feel free to modify recipe as needed (different beans, add can of diced green peppers, etc). Also, do not drain any of the cans! Just dump them all in to the pot!
  • aquarabbit
    aquarabbit Posts: 1,622 Member
    Options
    Roasted Chicken

Melt some butter and add a bit of salt, pepper, dried rosemary, thyme, and the juice and zest of a lemon. Add a little bit of extra seasoning in the leftover lemon halves. Rub the butter on and underneath a cleaned and dried whole chicken, then throw the leftover lemon halves into the cavity of the bird.

Roast breast side down, with a bit of water in the pan, for 15 minutes at 400 degrees F. Remove from the oven, reduce heat to 375, and take the bird out of the pan. Place some baby red or cut up large red potatoes on the bottom of the pan, and season with salt and pepper. Place the bird on the potatoes (breast side up) and continue to roast for another hour or so depending on how big the chicken is.

The drippings from the bird will add a lot of flavor to the potatoes and roasting it upside down will keep the breast meat really juicy. I do this because it gives my husband and I leftovers for a few days. Even though there's dark meat and skin, it's still a very affordable way to get a lot of use out of one product. We use it for sandwiches, wraps, tacos, into pasta, soups, meatballs, or on it's own as a quick bite. I also make stock with the carcass after all the meats gone. I find that I can also use poached chicken for this, but a whole chicken is usually a little bit cheaper where I live.
  • albertine58
    albertine58 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    for an awesome breakfast - whole grain greek yogurt protein pancakes (find on google - from a blog called Coffee & Quinoa)

other meals:
    spaghetti squash with pasta sauce & cheese, a tofurkey wrap with cranberry sauce, fish + a mountain of roasted veggies (cauliflower, asparagus, brussels, sweet potato, green beans, anything)

some of my fave salads:
    Taco Salad: romaine + tomatoes + roasted corn + 0.5 oz monterey jack cheese, diced small + whatever meat or protein you like (I use morningstar or boca meatless crumbles, or tofu)
    I dress my taco salads with a mix of light sour cream & salsa (I almost always use my fave trader joe's smoky peach salsa)
    to make the roasted corn - thaw a pack of frozen corn under running water & spread on a cookie sheet. toss or spray with olive oil - put it under the broiler on low for a few min, but watch carefully so it doesn't burn. then add sea salt. comes out SO delicious & salty-sweet!

Cobb Salad - 2 chopped deviled eggs (made with light mayo), tomato, romaine, goat cheese & bolthouse farms yogurt honey mustard dressing (meat eaters can add chicken or bacon)

Cranberry goat cheese salad - craisins, goat cheese, cooked quinoa, greens & light balsamic vinaigrette
  • Mygsds
    Mygsds Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Keep_The_Laughter
    Keep_The_Laughter Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    If you are a shake person....

1 scoop vanilla protein powder (I use Optimum Nutrition)
    1 tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
    1/2 cup milk of choice (I use almond or coconut)
    Couple drops of vanilla or almond extract

Shake it up. Grab an iced coffee and mix.

Tastes like an iced mocha and provides about 25g protein for 140 to 160 calories.
    In contrast with a regular large mocha from Starbucks that can range from 280 to 450 calories for 17g of protein.
  • kjo9692
    kjo9692 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    well today I did something really cool:

1 can of tuna
    2 tablespoons of olive oil
    about 1 tbsp of fine herbs & oregano

That was delish! It's time to go grocery shopping too LOL. You can add pita bread with this and it should be incredible. It's really simple though, but I really don't complicate myself in the kitchen.
  • nolabone
    nolabone Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I personally love soups. In the past two weeks I've made cabbage soup twice. I know there is a lot of hate going around on cabbage soup, because of the "cabbage soup diet" fad, but I find it delicious and super filling. I like eating it at night because dinner has always been my heaviest meal, and it helps me avoid over-eating. It also provides me and my family with multiple meals, and is super easy to make.

I start by sautéing an onion in a large pot, and also cook a pound or more of chopped chicken separately to add after. As the onion cooks I start to chop and add other ingredients to the pot including:
    Celery
    Carrots
    Potatoes
    1 can diced tomatoes
    1 head of cabbage
    Chicken broth or bouillon cubes
    Water
    Seasonings to taste (salt, pepper, ms. dash, basil....)

The first time I made it, it was like a chunky soup. The second time I let it cook down more, and added less water. It was almost creamy, and I preferred it more.

I'm definitely a whatever goes cook, and just add as much as I feel like chopping. :tongue:
  • michelleamhill
    michelleamhill Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Roasted Chicken

Melt some butter and add a bit of salt, pepper, dried rosemary, thyme, and the juice and zest of a lemon. Add a little bit of extra seasoning in the leftover lemon halves. Rub the butter on and underneath a cleaned and dried whole chicken, then throw the leftover lemon halves into the cavity of the bird.

Roast breast side down, with a bit of water in the pan, for 15 minutes at 400 degrees F. Remove from the oven, reduce heat to 375, and take the bird out of the pan. Place some baby red or cut up large red potatoes on the bottom of the pan, and season with salt and pepper. Place the bird on the potatoes (breast side up) and continue to roast for another hour or so depending on how big the chicken is.

The drippings from the bird will add a lot of flavor to the potatoes and roasting it upside down will keep the breast meat really juicy. I do this because it gives my husband and I leftovers for a few days. Even though there's dark meat and skin, it's still a very affordable way to get a lot of use out of one product. We use it for sandwiches, wraps, tacos, into pasta, soups, meatballs, or on it's own as a quick bite. I also make stock with the carcass after all the meats gone. I find that I can also use poached chicken for this, but a whole chicken is usually a little bit cheaper where I live.

Love the recipe. Thanks for sharing.
  • Emi1974
    Emi1974 Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    200 gr of dry coarse bulgur (cooked)

Once cooked add:

1 can garden peas
    1 can sweet corn
    1 can of chunky tuna in spring water (around 400 gr? drained)
    salt and pepper

This recipe made 5 serves

When eating I add gherkins or beetroot or fresh tomatoes or cucumber to bulk it up a bit more.
  • DeboraW_55
    DeboraW_55 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I love baked Talapia. Beat and egg white dip your fish in egg wash then 1/4 cup cornmeal with salt added. Bake 375 till done then on broil till Brown. Also roasted potatoes or roasted cauliflower, green beans or Asparagus. Spray with olive oil spray and Broil.