My top five exercises

Options
There are so many exercises out there, so many ways to improve our physical selves. I thought it would be cool to tell you the five that I employ to make myself better. Some of these may not be everyone's cup of tea, and that's fine, but for me, they are what I use regularly to keep myself at top shape. Feel free to add what you like to do. I don't choose an exercise based on comfort levels or the latest trends, I choose things that have proven, through years of research and proof, exercises that I can point to and say "this works, and here's why" without having to cite to much theory and little physical evidence.

From least to best here are my top five (in this case even the least favorite is still outstanding to me):

5) Medicine ball routines. Explosion specific routines that force muscles to maximum levels. the heavier the ball the better. I prefer a ball with handles so I can do 1 handed routines as well. Many of these routines involve dead lift type pulls before the explosive release which adds in some lower body work to the upper.

4) Combo calisthenics. Over the last year, I've developed a few routines that target multiple muscle groups in complex movements. Things that combine chest, arm, and shoulder with core, legs, and back. These are great time savers for the busy lifestyle and can hit all the major muscle groups in minutes instead of hours. Granted these routines are intense, and failure comes fast with them, especially if dumbbells are added, but they greatly increase functional endurance and because of the total body work, they force your muscles to work in tandem which can add to your coordination and balance. Form and balance are crucial to these routines, once form breaks down, you should stop and rest.

3) Swimming. I call this one the ultimate cardio workout. Why? Because it's a total body workout, it forces deep lung inhalation which increases blood oxygen levels, requires concentration and timing which makes us consciously think about muscle movement, and eliminates most of the problems associates with high intensity cardio like high impact and overheating. You generally can work harder with swimming without as many averse side effects, and you will almost certainly use muscles that you wouldn't with most other cardio.

2) Sport simulation (or the actual sport). You can pick from any one of a number of high activity sports. Soccer, football, basketball, hockey, La Cross, swimming (competitively), bicycling. All of these sports combine elements of power, speed, and explosive movement. So what if you've never played basketball before. Your body doesn't care whether you look good driving the lane, all it cares about is that you went from stopped to full speed in 1 second, and it reacts. There are reasons why competitive athletes are always cut up (muscularly) like no other, because they practice their functional muscles daily, Unlike power lifters and body builders who like to isolate for looks, athletes practice combination moves for the purpose of better coordination (core), strength (legs, chest, back, arms), endurance, and speed. the human body is the epitome of form follows function. Your body will shape itself into what ever form you need it to be, and just our luck, a good athlete, looks good!

And my number 1 routine

Wait for it.

1) Sprinting. I know I know. "Sprinting? Seriously?" That's what you're saying. It's the simplest, oldest form of exercise known to man.
But hear me out first.
Most trainers overlook the simple stuff. And that's bad. About 1 in 20 trainers will assign a client to use sprinting as a modality. "Why?" I say. Sprinting really trains the whole lower body, it combines explosive power, with failure training, with maximal muscle memory training. It adds oxygen deprecation to balance moves (it actually takes quite a bit of core to keep balanced at high speeds). It triggers both cortisol release, Growth hormone production, and testosterone release.

It's easy, it's a great workout in a very short time (10 minutes of sprints can match 45 minutes on the elliptical calorie wise) and it increases your "wind" or oxygen efficiency.

Now this ain't your grandmother's running. When I say "sprint" to someone, I mean all out, top speed, verge of off balance, 40 to 50 yard sprints. By the time you are done with 5 of them you'll understand what I mean. Even experienced professional athletes tire after sprinting a few times. There's a good reason for that, because it's pushing your muscles HARD! Sure there are drawbacks to sprinting, but the great thing about sprints are you can do them 4 to 5 times a week with little drawback. 1st, at top speed and correct form you actually REDUCE impact levels (much of the force is horizontal to the ground thus less jarring impact on the knees and hips) when compared to walking or running. 2nd because of how fast we tire, you don't need to do high volumes (20 or 30 sprints can usually be a great workout, no need to spend copious time working out, work smarter, not longer). 3rd you increase oxygen efficiency in the body, increasing mitochondria in the cells which increases your ability to do aerobic work. 4th, it'll give you more balance. the core engages when you sprint, you don't need to do power moves to increase your core muscle strength. Any move that forces balance correction will do this. 5th, because of how much we use our legs, they are trained to recover faster than upper body. We have more type 2A muscle fibers. These are more of a hybrid power/endurance fiber, which means they help you reach max power AND keep you working longer. It also means they recover faster than say, your bicep or pectoral muscles, which are high volumes of Type 2B (real power muscles, the fast, fast twitch muscles that are strong but peter out quickly).

I know I know, running doesn't work the upper body. That's ok, do your sprints, then do some push ups (vary your stance to hit different upper body muscles harder), a few pull ups, and some dips to hit just about every major muscle group. You've still done a KILLER workout in under 30 minutes, and ask yourself, have you ever seen an Olympic 100 meter dash athlete that had a body that you didn't like? There's a reason for that, even though "all they do is run".

Anyway, those are my top five.

I realize I didn't put any weight training in. I have nothing against weight training, and I do use it often, but It's a more deliberate workout, and I'm more focused on functional power over size or isometric strength, it's a conscious choice. I don't care that I can press 300 lbs (I can't, and I have no problem with that), but I can play a full 60 minute football game and Pitch 9 innings of baseball (and yes, I do both of those things in real life, that isn't conjecture) or stay on the court for a full 48 minute basketball game without needing a breather. These are what is important to me, so these are what I train for.

Replies

• UpToAnyCool
    UpToAnyCool Posts: 1,673
    Options
    ...as always, thanks,Banks! :flowerforyou: Have a good Saturday!
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    welcome. Shoot, I thought there'd be more discussion about this topic. Considering everyone has their favorite exercise (I hope). Maybe it's just because it's Saturday and people get going later today.
  • AwMyLoLo
    AwMyLoLo Posts: 1,571 Member
    Options
    bump to read later
  • JulianDaley
    JulianDaley Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Another great post, thanks.

Could you suggest some links to more detailed routines for some of these, especially sprinting. There is some discussion of HIIT sprinting routines on exrx.net - is that a good place to start?

(PS congrats on 5000 posts!)
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    Sorry Julian, I wrote this then went away for a week. LOL!

I read a couple of things on sprinting, but they were just forum entries. do you have any specific posts?

There's really nothing to sprinting. Essentially for beginners to sprinting, you measure out 35 to 50 yards of flat open grass (like a park, but check the surface, any holes rocks, or sticks can really be bad for your ankles at high speeds) and about 10 yards before and after to slow down after. Mark them off STRETCH, warm up, then off you go. Normally when I do my HIIT routines I add 1 round of sprints to the front of them and 1 round at the end either as straight sprints, or as Monsters, or as 4 corners, just to mix things up, they essentially are all the same thing but changing the pattern can keep it from getting boring (although boring isn't what I'd call myself after 10 or 15, 50 yard wind sprints, try "on the verge of collapse")

One thing to remember is when I say sprinting, I mean all out, there's no way you could ever run any faster sprinting, no holding back, not 80%, not 90%, not 100%, but 100% then that last little bit you have left over.

Here is what a monster is, and what a 4 corners is.

Monsters:
    measure out 3 distances in a straight line, Start --> 10 yds --> 20 yds --> 30 yds
    each monster is this:
    -Start
    -sprint to the 10 yd mark (touch the ground) and back (touch the start)
    -sprint to the 20 yd mark (touch the ground) and back (touch the start)
    -sprint to the 30 yd mark a (touch the ground) and back (touch the start)

stop
    This is 1 monster. or 120 yards of sprinting. For a beginner, 3 to 4 of these per session is probably all you will be able to do. There is a slight aspect of agility and core training in this as well because you are reversing directions at high speeds, which requires core and balance along with leg and glut strength.

4 corners:
    Set up 4 cones (markers of some kind) in a square 30 to 50 yards apart (or you can use and adult baseball diamond, that's 30 yards between bases and a perfect square).

1, 4 corner is:
    -sprint from home to first cone, jog the other 3 cones
    -sprint the first 2 cones, jog last 2
    -sprint first 3 cones, jog last 1
    -sprint all 4 cones.

Beginners should put at least 1 minute (probably 2 minutes) between repetitions. Most beginners can do 2 reps of this, sometimes less.
  • BoresEasily
    Options
    One thing to remember is when I say sprinting, I mean all out, there's no way you could ever run any faster sprinting, no holding back, not 80%, not 90%, not 100%, but 100% then that last little bit you have left over.

Monsters:
    measure out 3 distances in a straight line, Start --> 10 yds --> 20 yds --> 30 yds
    each monster is this:
    -Start

Those are called suicides. Sprints are amazing by the way but doing them 5x a week is a no no. HIIT increases afterburn and requires time for the body to come down. Even pro athletes don't do HIIT more than 2-3x a week. Hill sprints are nasty too. The first and only time I did them I felt nauseous, dizzy and was a little confused and didn't quite know where I was afterwards. I also lost my balance while walking my cool down, nearly toppled over. I can't wait to try those again, those are so badass. Suicides are great fun and can be done anywhere and really get your heart rate up there in a short time.
  • SHBoss1673
    Options

Monsters:
    each monster is this:
    -Start

Those are called suicides. Sprints are amazing by the way but doing them 5x a week is a no no. HIIT increases afterburn and requires time for the body to come down. Even pro athletes don't do HIIT more than 2-3x a week. Hill sprints are nasty too. The first and only time I did them I felt nauseous, dizzy and was a little confused and didn't quite know where I was afterwards. I also lost my balance while walking my cool down, nearly toppled over. I can't wait to try those again, those are so badass. Suicides are great fun and can be done anywhere and really get your heart rate up there in a short time.

we called them suicides indoors for basketball and Monsters outside so six of one. And yes, for most people you can't do sprints every day, that is correct. Although we did do them every day during rugby season, so they can be done, you just have to be in remarkable shape to do them, college and pro rugby players and some soccer players are examples of that (I played college football too, and we couldn't have done that every day).
  • JulianDaley
    JulianDaley Posts: 13 Member
    Options

Beginners should put at least 1 minute (probably 2 minutes) between repetitions. Most beginners can do 2 reps of this, sometimes less.
    Once the snow clears I'll give it a go!
    Thanks.
  • NoahVail
    Options
    Could you please elaborate on or describe some of your 'combo calisthenic' routines or exercises?
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    Could you please elaborate on or describe some of your 'combo calisthenic' routines or exercises?

see my early blogs, I put a bunch of them in there already. No reason to re-invent the wheel.