What are your best healthy tips?

Options
I thought it would be interesting to share some tips for healthy lifestyle, diet, exercise and weight loss that you have picked up :)

I'll add some more when I think of them, but heres some of mine:

-Plan your meals on one day a week (Mine is Sunday, before the coming week starts) where you sit and plan what to cook for the week and make sure you are stocked up on some fruit and healthy snacks to have them ready to grab and go for that week.

-Buy a kitchen scale and weigh portions until you're more familiar with how much you are eating. It will help keep you more conscious about portion control.

-Weigh food items like dried fruit and nuts on a scale, because if you eat it straight out of the bag, the calories can add up before you know it.

-Suggest a physical activity when you catch up with friends, even if it is going for a walk.

-Pre cook and freeze healthy meals for convenience. Make big batches of veggie soups and fruit and veggie smoothies and keep it in the fridge. Make up containers of salad like grated carrot, tomato, lettuce, baby spinach, chicken breast and keep them in the fridge to put on wraps.

- Find a form of exercise you actually enjoy. Think back to what you liked when you were a kid if that helps (For me it was bike riding-I used to do it all day) If you get bored, mix it up...do cycling, listen to music, join group classes or sports, swimming, climbing, running, strength training, whatever it takes to keep you interested.

- If you become busy and get into a pattern of eating too much fast food, limit it to Subway only, and no more than 2 times a week.

-Don't be afraid to incorporate strength training into your exercise plans, as it can help you to lose weight. It helps increase your metabolism and the rate at which your body can burn off fat.

Replies

• jessghost0
    Options
    Some might not like this idea, but if you live near a food outlet/salvage store, check out the fresh produce. They often have tons of organic foods, close to exp.date. I buy my organicgirl greens for $.99/carton, and yogurt for $1.99/12 pk. Some foods I would not buy, but honestly, you can tell if fruits/veggies have gone bad.
  • ghosthackexe
    ghosthackexe Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Agree with a lot of it great thread. Only thing I semi-disagree with is Subway but that may just be me =P. Two things I would add that I've found helpful is 1) if you plan on cooking/preparing a meal putting it into MFP before hand actually helps you keep track of your cals for the rest of the day and sometimes it'll make you reconsider what your putting into your dishes before you eat them. 2) Drink water whenever you can and if you have the option to switch out a beverage for water do so it'll help in the long run. ^_^
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    MODERATION
  • mzbek24
    mzbek24 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    lol yeah the Subway thing can be tricky...really depends what people order. A whole heap of carbs, plus cheese, meatballs, and sauce isn't great. Also Subway I hear is a bit different in The US to Australia.

But I put it because it was one of the earlier steps I took when I was 10kgs heavier.

If you compare Subway to what I was eating, it is a small positive step to take-A Subway chicken wrap I order is around 350 calories.
    A meal at Red Rooster, which is a chicken take away franchise here (e.g A Hawaiian pack with chicken and chips with deep fried pineapple rings and a bottle of Coke) is the exact amount of daily calories I now eat and log on MFP, and thats certainly not all I would have eaten in a day back then lol.

I was out of home 12 hours a day several times a week, with no means of keeping food fresh. So I would fall into the habit of getting Mcdonalds or other calorie-dense fast food about 2-3 times a week or more.
    Switching to Subway and limiting the amount of times was definitely beneficial.
  • jusa1011
    jusa1011 Posts: 21
    Options
    It is nice to see that I do a lot of the tips already. Thanks everyone. Something I can add, besides my biking and occasional swimming, is I own a couple of dogs. My little guy has no problem letting me know that he wants his walk. Also I cook a lot. I add a lot of vegetable to my meals. Mainly onions, bell peppers, celery, carrots, and garlic go into almost everything I make. In my chicken noodle soup, I add bok choy, brussell sprouts, and kale along with all the other vegetables it normally calls for.:happy:
  • sheenashe10
    Options
    I just discover canned produced that are organic has less sodium.

When you buy bullion for soups look for low-sodium

There are studies that found that green tea increase metabolism.

Add 1 to 3 teaspoon a day of pectin to food or a glass of water, this will help your hunger

Try to use apple cider vinegar on your salads. Supposedly, apple cider vinegar helps you lose weight

Use smaller plates, this will help you keep your portion of food smaller.

Don't look at the scale but measure instead. I know a lady that lost 10 inches but only 5lbs. She look like she lost 15lbs or more
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    Eat more protein.
  • adaybetter
    adaybetter Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Water, water and more water. Water can help you lose weight and tons of different ways. Just being a little bit dehydrated can have you burning less calories a day. AND drinking cold water will make you burn more calories since your body will need to heat it up.

I can go on forever about water and how every cell in your body needs it to function. How water can help tighten lose skin and collagen production. Okay enough about water. Go drink so water
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    focus on performance rather than scale numbers

don't take nutrition advice from 99% of PT's.
  • dt3312
    dt3312 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I have a list of fun projects and hobbies I like to do. When I want to eat, but it is not time to eat (i.e., I want to eat because I'm stressed out or down) I can refer to my list and get out of the kitchen and do something. This helps me not to graze/overeat/binge. Some things on my list are: knit, read, call a friend, draw, go on a walk, etc.
  • nicolemviolette
    nicolemviolette Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Do cardio.
    Walk more. Park far away when you're at the store, take the stairs.
    DO NOT drink your calories. Drink water, and lots of it.
    Eat protein. FIsh, chicken. <--- and make it lean.
    Read food labels at the grocery store.
    Know your portions. Keep measuring cups handy.
    If you go to a restaurant, they usually have the "healthy" or "fit" section on the menu. Check that section before you order something with an outrageous amount of calories, fat, sodium, etc. OR go on the internet and google some of that restaurants healthier options.
  • mzbek24
    Options
    Really good tips guys!

I just read this....wow. I think I will definitely remember to try going easier on the olive oil when cooking lol.

http://news.health.com/2013/09/20/5-cooking-mistakes-that-pack-on-the-pounds/
  • snazzyjazzy21
    snazzyjazzy21 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    pactapp

If you're going to be healthy, at least get paid along the way.
  • tallulahalice
    tallulahalice Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Google Michael Pollan, really interesting learning about the food industry and how obesity has come to be a problem.

His simplified tips: Eat less, eat food (i.e. real/whole foods, not processed), and eat mostly plants.

He also advises to cook your own food wherever possible - kind of a rule I try to stick to, especially when craving treats.
  • YogiJess760
    Options
    Setting smaller goals in increments and rewarding myself (not with food).
  • Shropshire1959
    Shropshire1959 Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    There are NO short cuts.
  • srr728
    srr728 Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    it's a journey and a lifestyle, one bad day or a week isnt the end of the world. Keep going and get back on track.
  • jusa1011
    jusa1011 Posts: 21
    Options
    Something else I thought of today. When eating your fruits and vegetables, think of a rainbow. Make sure to eat as many colors as possible. Get a printout of the different colors of fruits and veggies and the nutrients in each. Prevention Magazine his done this a couple of times. It is nice to see the different nutrients and antioxidants that you can get from blueberries versus broccoli versus tomatoes and so on.
  • mzbek24
    Options
    That's a good idea. It could highlight some new options to try.

I'd encourage cooking with or buying fruits or veggies you haven't really had or heard of before, even if you assume you won't like it. There's usually always a way to add it into your cooking.
    It's a fun way to mix things up and keeps your diet a lot more interesting when you have more healthy options other than the plain old apple, banana, etc. Now I just buy things like a bag of zucchini's (they were really cheap on special this week!) and then Google something amazing to do with them.

I did world vegetarian week for a bit of a personal challenge last year (I love my meat too much and thought I couldn't possibly do it) well I lasted 5 days before accidentally eating meat and disqualifying myself haha...but the challenge really opened up and expanded my range of food, recipes and knowledge a lot. Permanently.
  • Shropshire1959
    Shropshire1959 Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    G.O.Y.A :tongue: