Sprint

Options
Hi, I was wondering how many calories does a 100m sprint burn?
I've started sprinting today, I did 6 x 100m (I did warm up before, 1.5 mile run and active stretching pex. squats) and feeling very sore :laugh:
I've noticed that when I sprint it takes a lot of my energie, well, lots more then jogging, and if I understood correctly, sprinting is about strength/muscle mass, right? If you can please share any ideas for sprinting, how many meters, how many series, how many days?
Usually, I train three times a week, twice a week I do yoga, and when the weather is nice I run. My goal is to get lean. Add muscle mass and reduce fat, I have 154 lbs and I'm 5.7 3/4. oh, yeah, my body fat index is 31% :sad:

Replies

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Sprinters have a significant amount of muscle mass, but that's a function of resistance training rather than the running.

Given your goals I'd suggest a combination of longer steady pace runs, shorter duration interval sessions and resistance work. Bodyweight work should serve your purpose for now.

As far as calorie consumption is concerned its difficult to assess. For me, if I do 15minutes warming up, 10 by 20 second sprints with 20 second recovery runs followed by 15 minute cool down I'll burn about 600-700 cals, but lots of variables affect that.
  • marinajelenic
    Options
    Thx man. I do bodyweight training 2-3 times a week, well, I have a trainer at my gym and he basically tells us what to do. There's a lot of bodyweight, kettlebell, 12 or 16 kg depends on no. of reps , for example, if I do 50 swings followed by 50 squats and then again 50 swings followed by 50 women push ups, and then again 50 swings followed by 50 planks, then I'll do that with 12kg, if it is 10-30 swings then I use 16, for now :bigsmile: . Also we do a lot of HIIT training and Tabata. I

I have started sprinting 'couse I think I like it. I always thought that I was the long distance type, thats way I signed up for Run for life marathon, (my goal is to do 10km), but I find it boring and time consuming to just run the distance, so I can't even remember when was the last time I did laps on the track :blushing:
    But sprinting is fun for me.

I forgot to mention that I have a spine injury, I have 3 diskus hernia and I have had lumboishiatis through entire 2013, and in November I had an abdominal surgery, so I'm just getting in shape, although I'm training since January.
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options
    Thx man. I do bodyweight training 2-3 times a week, well, I have a trainer at my gym and he basically tells us what to do. There's a lot of bodyweight, kettlebell, 12 or 16 kg depends on no. of reps , for example, if I do 50 swings followed by 50 squats and then again 50 swings followed by 50 women push ups, and then again 50 swings followed by 50 planks, then I'll do that with 12kg, if it is 10-30 swings then I use 16, for now :bigsmile: . Also we do a lot of HIIT training and Tabata. I

I have started sprinting 'couse I think I like it. I always thought that I was the long distance type, thats way I signed up for Run for life marathon, (my goal is to do 10km), but I find it boring and time consuming to just run the distance, so I can't even remember when was the last time I did laps on the track :blushing:

I forgot to mention that I have a spine injury, I have 3 diskus hernia and I have had lumboishiatis through entire 2013, and in November I had an abdominal surgery, so I'm just getting in shape, although I'm training since January.

What are women pushups?
  • timboom1
    timboom1 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Basically the sprint is not that different calorie-wise than running, you just cover the distance faster and generally will help optimize your O2 Max. So if you do 600M then you could add .375 to your 1.5 miles to get your total calorie burn from running. I will say that if you want to run the 10K you will probably want to put in more base building miles, either on the track, which is mind numbing, or find a nice route that doesn't keep turning left over and over.
  • marinajelenic
    Options
    Your knees are on the ground. I Can't do 50 regular push ups, I can do 15, maybe 20.
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options

That sounds fair for your core conditioning then, although it sounds more like a combination session rather than resistance. as you develop your leg strength that'll apply to your explosive power, essentially your ability to accelerate

All fair, although all speed work is built on an aerobic base that you build through longer duratiion running. I'd agree that a track isn't particularly inspiring, I do my long runs, 15-18km at the moment, on trails and vary my routes a lot. My higher speed sessions, either tempos or intervals I'll do on road/ pavement as it gives me more control, but I'm still building on an existing aerobic base. A tempo session will be anything from 5km in 25 minutes up to 7km, with an aim to be doing tempos up to 10km later in the year. an interval session will take me up to 7 to 9 km, with 400m/ 200m or 20 second sprint intervals in there. Of course I'm coming down to a 10 minute mile in my slower intervals there so it's not a sprint/ walk combination.

Sounds like a reasonable recovery plan, although it might be worth some advice around the risks in the higher intensity work.
  • marinajelenic
    Options
    I know, I know... I need to start covering some distance, I will.
  • SOCOLOCO87
    SOCOLOCO87 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I've started sprinting today, I did 6 x 100m (I did warm up before, 1.5 mile run and active stretching pex. squats) and feeling very sore :laugh:
    I've noticed that when I sprint it takes a lot of my energie, well, lots more then jogging, and if I understood correctly, sprinting is about strength/muscle mass, right? If you can please share any ideas for sprinting, how many meters, how many series, how many days?
    Usually, I train three times a week, twice a week I do yoga, and when the weather is nice I run. My goal is to get lean. Add muscle mass and reduce fat, I have 154 lbs and I'm 5.7 3/4. oh, yeah, my body fat index is 31% :sad:

On a track I like to do sprint the straits jog the curves for a cool down, or even a walking. I find this very effective for me.
  • marinajelenic
    Options
    Sounds like a reasonable recovery plan, although it might be worth some advice around the risks in the higher intensity work.

Thx. I spoke to my trainer (actually I started training because of my back problems) , and he said I'ts ok to sprint, run, or whatever. My back only hurt when I run on something hard like asfalt.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    Sprints (weather running, on a bike, rower or elliptical is probably the best exercise you can do).

5 or 6 all out sprints (20-30 seconds, with a couple of minutes rests or low level activity to bring the heart rate back down between each sprint) once a week will burn more calories than any moderate level cardio exercise.

If you enjoys pounding the treadmill for hours (or the track) then fair play and keep doing it (exercise should be fun).

But stick a sprint session in once a week and you will notice the difference.
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options
    Sprints (weather running, on a bike, rower or elliptical is probably the best exercise you can do).

5 or 6 all out sprints (20-30 seconds, with a couple of minutes rests or low level activity to bring the heart rate back down between each sprint) once a week will burn more calories than any moderate level cardio exercise.

If only it were that simple...

As far as calorie consumption is concerned, not a huge aount of difference between, 25 minutes of moderate intensity and 25 minutes of high intensity. Where it does have an effect is on improving VO2Max, which has a consequential effect on efficiency and conversion efficiency.

It certainly has a place, but it's not the panacea that so many would advocate.

It also helps with improving the lactate threshold, which is largely an endurance issue. If the LT is increased then ones ability to train for longer at higher intensities is improved.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options

If only it were that simple...

As far as calorie consumption is concerned, not a huge aount of difference between, 25 minutes of moderate intensity and 25 minutes of high intensity. Where it does have an effect is on improving VO2Max, which has a consequential effect on efficiency and conversion efficiency.

It certainly has a place, but it's not the panacea that so many would advocate.

It also helps with improving the lactate threshold, which is largely an endurance issue. If the LT is increased then ones ability to train for longer at higher intensities is improved.

Where it's more bang for your buck is the fact that unlike low level cardio were the calorie burn pretty much stops at the end of the exercise.

With sprints your body continues to benefit from additional calorie consumption for I've 24 hours after the exercise.

Definitely value for money.
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options
    Where it's more bang for your buck is the fact that unlike low level cardio were the calorie burn pretty much stops at the end of the exercise.

With sprints your body continues to benefit from additional calorie consumption for I've 24 hours after the exercise.

Ah yes, the increased Post Exercise Oxygen Consumption fallacy.

What you're talking about is a hugely simplified articulation of the VO2Max and exercise efficiency point I've just made, but that doesn't translate into much more than a handful of calories.

The value of interval training is the improvements in the cardiovascular system, and what that does to long term performance, rather than some fantasy about sparkly unicorns taking the calories away.

fwiw the heart rate reducing to base level quickly is an indicator of improving fitness. My theoretical MHR is 176bpm, I can seethat reduce to normal in the space of five minutes after a hard tempo session, or a hard interval session. The idea that I got to 190bpm for the sum total of 240 seconds during a 40 minute session really isn't going to make a huge amount of difference.
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options
    Your knees are on the ground. I Can't do 50 regular push ups, I can do 15, maybe 20.

So a modified pushup!
  • marinajelenic
    Options

So a modified pushup!

Yess, :smile:
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Probably about 10-15 per sprint, if that?....
  • marinajelenic
    Options
    Well, I just ran 8 km, slowly, it took me an hour. Although it was very windy I really need to speed up :sad:
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options
    Well, I just ran 8 km, slowly, it took me an hour. Although it was very windy I really need to speed up :sad:

That's a reasonable time, I take about 50 minutes for 10k in good conditions.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,555 Member
    Options
    105 calories at 85% sprint for me. FITCLICK numbers used.

At least that's what's estimated for me if I did those.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    ... 154 lbs ...

lets see...

about 6 KCal per sprint.

0.63 KCal/mi/lb
    you burn 97 KCal/mile. 1 mile = 1600m, so 97/16 = 6