Exercising with a weak back

Hi all
Does anyone have any tips on core abdominal exercises for someone with a weak back?
I know that strengthening my core muscles will help to protect my back but am scared I will strain it to start off.

Many thanks
Jo

Replies

• DDP Yoga. It's main focus is strengthening the core muscles. You can modify it to go at your own pace and no weights are involved at all. I stated out with a bad back myself and a few weeks in I was pain free!
  • Jade0529
    Jade0529 Posts: 213 Member
    I would suggest that you see your Dr first just to make sure that your back is physically okay before you do any exercise. I say this because I suffer from back pain and I had to make sure there wasn't any glaring issues, and even though I don't have a slipped disk or anything, I still have back troubles while exercising.

Yoga can be good if you don't over extend yourself. I do a lot of swimming too. I also exercise with a back support belt on sometimes when it's bad. hth
  • Thanks for the help. I must admit I hadn't thought of yoga, I think I'll look for some local classes.
    I had an anti inflammatory injected into my back a few years ago because of the pain I was in and I guess I'm just nervous that I may aggravate it and I couldn't bear to go through that pain again! I'm sure I could explain that to the yoga instructor before I start :happy:
  • kyregi
    kyregi Posts: 55 Member
    First of all I agree that you might want to talk to your dr. first. Then you might also want to look into Pilates. There is mat Pilates and also a "machine" Pilates. I do the second. It has done me a lot of good for my core muscles.
  • thesupremeforce
    thesupremeforce Posts: 1,207 Member
    DDP Yoga. It's main focus is strengthening the core muscles. You can modify it to go at your own pace and no weights are involved at all. I stated out with a bad back myself and a few weeks in I was pain free!

Good call.

Your best bet for a "weak back" is likely to work to gradually strengthen it.
  • Redheadllena
    Redheadllena Posts: 353 Member
    Yes Yoga and Pilates, then work your way into strengthen exercises for your back!
  • Azchange
    Azchange Posts: 110 Member
    Look up the Army 4 for the core (4C) workout. It's a very small regiment that you can do before starting light deadlifts, kettlebell (or other item) swings, and such.
  • stephcbms
    stephcbms Posts: 142 Member
    Yes like what the others have said, yoga, find a DVD specifically for bad backs. Ask your doctor first though. I have a bad back myself and yoga has helped me. But I consulted my doctors and physical therapist first. It turns out at there were things I should never do. Good luck too you :)