Do you log these things?

Options

Replies

• jenmom2myboys
    jenmom2myboys Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I wasnt logging my cinnamon in my oatmeal as there was no info on the bottle but I put it in the food thing today and it came up so I will be adding it from now on.
  • CharleeCali
    CharleeCali Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I log everything I can remember, including sugar-free Werthers Originals, but sometimes I think it's weird that I know how many calories there are in Tums.
  • Kadoober
    Kadoober Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    The only three that apply to me are:
    Lemon Lime juice, seasonings and marinade.

I usually will log the lemon and/or lime juice, but if it's just a qick squirt I don't. I usually don't log spices, but I always log at least the base for marinades, since I always put some sort of oil in them. I don't worry about the bit of garlic powder or rosemary I might add, but I always get the oil. :)
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Gum - No
    Vitamins - Yes, mine are 45 calories a day
    Lemon or lime juice (like in water or over chicken/salad/tacos/etc) - a squirt no, a recipe amount yes
    Water flavoring packets - if they have calories then yes - usually
    Seasonings (some are calorie-free, but most have sodium and a couple carbs) - No
    Marinade - Yes
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    I do record water flavoring packets and certain spices, but none of the other stuff listed.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Gum - no, but I don't chew gum
    Vitamins - no, but I did when I was worried about whether or not i was getting all of my vitamins and minerals...no need now.
    Lemon or lime juice (like in water or over chicken/salad/tacos/etc) - no, pretty much negligible
    Water flavoring packets - never used
    Seasonings (some are calorie-free, but most have sodium and a couple carbs) - no
    Marinade - no...some can be made with a lot of oils and what not, but I'm not drinking the stuff...the amount that actually gets soaked into the meat is negligible in my experience.
  • myfitnesspale3
    myfitnesspale3 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I don't care about 45 calories of vitamins, but logging the vitamins fills out the nutrient totals to see if I've got an ongoing deficit, which I DID have.

Gum - noooooo (sugarless right? ahh doesn't matter unless you have a gum problem)

Air - noooooo

Lemon are you kidding 0.5 calories

Marinade - if you drink it
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    I don't log anything that will be under five calories. A splash of lemon juice in my water, half a Crystal Light packet, dried seasonings in a recipe, a couple leaves of lettuce or thin onion slices on a sandwich... meh. I do log marinades (oil), low-calorie items that I use in high volume (ICBINB spray, soy sauce, balsamic vinegar), and stuff like that.
  • Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options
    I do, but that's because I can often consume quite a bit of gum, and those 5 calorie sticks can really add up!
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    I log pretty much everything... My pre-workout has 0 calories, k-cups have 5, pickles have 0.... I still log it.
    Everything is usually in my recent foods, so it's not much more time out of my day just to do it.

Ohhhh, what pickles do you buy? The ones I buy are 5-10 for a spear, depending on the brand. I'd love to have an unlimited amount of pickles!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! haha

I get the Vlasic reduced-sodium kind... I'm sure there are a FEW calories each (the whole if there's less than 5 FDA thing...) but I log them with the info on the jar.
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    I log pretty much everything... My pre-workout has 0 calories, k-cups have 5, pickles have 0.... I still log it.
    Everything is usually in my recent foods, so it's not much more time out of my day just to do it.

your pre-workout is zero calories? Mind sharing what that is?

ARO Pink Lemonade by Vitacost. It's from vitacost.com - it's their brand of pre-workout. It has worked pretty well for me so far after switching from C4 because of stomach issues
  • naomijuliette96
    naomijuliette96 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    gum: nope
    vitamins: I don't take any. in my opinion, if you're deficient in something, you should be changing your diet, not taking a supplement..
    water packets : yup
    lemon lime juice: noooo
    Marinades: YES ALWAYS!
  • SpicesOfLife
    SpicesOfLife Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    i dont log these things (except soy sauce, etc.. but that actually has quite a bit of calories). since i dont think that calculating the calories is 100% accurate anyways, i dont feel i need to log stuff that has like 5 calories. maybe other people manage to log more accurately than me, i dont know, but lets say i cook 4 portions of stir fry and then take roughly a quarter of the whole pan, i divide total calories by 4 and use that amount, even though i doubt that it is exactly 25% of what i have cooked.
  • kethry70
    kethry70 Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Gum - No
    Vitamins - Yes, mine are 45 calories a day
    Lemon or lime juice (like in water or over chicken/salad/tacos/etc) - a squirt no, a recipe amount yes
    Water flavoring packets - if they have calories then yes - usually
    Seasonings (some are calorie-free, but most have sodium and a couple carbs) - No
    Marinade - Yes

What she said.. Except my vitamins aren't quite that number of calories. And it never even occurred to me to log tums. I have been stalled for months but I know my issue is logging in general (was inconsistent for a while) and too much dessert in particular. Definitely not the small stuff like this. Right now, I'm just eating near maintenance to give myself a break- not logging that stuff clearly isn't hindering me :)
  • pixtotts
    pixtotts Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Gum - No
    Vitamins - don't take any if I did I probably would though
    Lemon or lime juice (like in water or over chicken/salad/tacos/etc) - In a recipy yes, I don't really use it the rest of the time, I cut up a lemon and leave it in the water jug but I don't count that so no
    Water flavoring packets - I don't think we have these here... I log squash/cordial though..
    Seasonings (some are calorie-free, but most have sodium and a couple carbs) - If following a recipe yes, rest of the time no
    Marinade - yes!
  • Amandawith3kids
    Amandawith3kids Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    i dont log the tiny things, like when i'm scooping food for my kids and i get some on my finger or something. i dont chew gum (damn tmj)

things like marinade, where the meat sit and soaks, but you dont cook in it or drain it off after cooking (like you would with a steak) confuse me.. i'm putting it on it yes, but only SOME of what i put on gets soaked in. so i dont know how to log that. it hasnt been an issue yet, but with summer coming i do marinate quite a bit the stuff i grill, so it will become an issue shortly.
    i do log my vitamins.
    i try to leave a few cals at the end of the day to cover any inaccuracies and tastes.
  • sfbaumgarten
    sfbaumgarten Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    I log all of those except for the dry seasonings.
  • cbhubbybubble
    cbhubbybubble Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I log just about everything, but sometimes I'll skip things like mustard or other zero or almost zero calorie foods in the interest of time. I don't log my tic tacs. I usually leave a few calories unused in my diary to account for the few little things I didn't log.
  • greytniki
    greytniki Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I don't log the following things, never have, probably never will, they haven't changed my weight loss efforts:
    Gum
    Cough drops
    drinks (but I rarely drink anything with calories)
    condiments
    marinades
    seasonings

Works for me, would probably set a lot of people over the edge :-)
  • Anonycatgirl
    Anonycatgirl Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    I'll log lemon juice or seasoning if it's part of a recipe, but not if I'm sprinkling a tiny bit onto prepared food or squirting juice into my water. I log pickles to track the sodium more than the tiny calories. My fish oil supplements are basically half a tablespoon of fat in capsule form, which is too many calories to ignore. Coffee yes, green tea no, but my favorite herb tea has a few calories so I'll log it (especially because it looks weird to have the honey in the log without the tea, not that anyone but me is going to see it.)

One thing I didn't log at first but do now was cough drops. I have allergies, so my throat's scratchy a lot, and those 15 calories per drop add up on a bad day.

I normally try to have a few unclaimed calories at the end of the day to account for anything that maybe I should have logged but didn't. It's worked for me so far.