Disappointed

Options
So, about a month ago, I had lost about 12 pounds. I was really excited. About that same time, I also started running more (training for half marathon at the end of April) and doing Body Pump twice a week and yoga at least once a week. I've let myself go over my calories of 1200 to about 1400 a day when I have a run day, I don't eat all my exercise calories back, and I weigh my food. I don't eat crappy food, and rarely go out to eat.

I rarely weigh myself because I think it throws me off...but today I weighed myself. And I am back up to my starting weight! I don't understand! I am so upset about this...
How could I gain all that back??? Is it muscle? Am I doing something wrong? Is it just in my head?

Replies

• lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    How do you calculate your exercise calories? If you're not using a HRM, you could be overestimating. Likewise, you could also be underestimating calories from food. "Crappy" food or not, you will gain weight if you eat too much. You should weigh your food to get accurate counts.
  • marlea_0619
    marlea_0619 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    How do you calculate your exercise calories? If you're not using a HRM, you could be overestimating. Likewise, you could also be underestimating calories from food. "Crappy" food or not, you will gain weight if you eat too much. You should weigh your food to get accurate counts.

I use a Polar FT4 HRM every workout (except yoga, since it's really loud) and I weigh my food with a digital scale....all the more reason why I am so disappointed!
  • mycupyourcake
    mycupyourcake Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    What is your height and weight and age? Or do you know your TDEE as given by the online calcs? Are you sure that you are only eating 1400. There have been times when I was logging and thought I was at a certain limit but when I went back and looked I was under the limit a few times but mostly over the limit often.
  • IsabellaGiano
    IsabellaGiano Posts: 158 Member
    Options

I use a Polar FT4 HRM every workout (except yoga, since it's really loud) and I weigh my food with a digital scale....all the more reason why I am so disappointed!

What about your clothes? 12 pound are not so few.. did you notice that your clothes fit better or worse?
    If they fit better, don't worry, and weight again yourself in a week or so!

Do you take measures of yourself? Those may be better trackers of your results
  • MyRummyHens
    MyRummyHens Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    It's hard to imagine you've put on 12lb in a month, you'd have to eat 1400 OVER maintenance and exercise calories every single day for 30 days to achieve that. I would guess even if you are a small and otherwise sedentary female that'd have to equate to at least 3000 calories per day. It's normal to have water and TOM fluctuations and I know some people can suffer terribly with those, but you're looking at 2-7lb and not 12lb.

It's definitely not all muscle, even a genetically gifted female newbie under all the right criteria would be hard pushed to put on 12lb of muscle in a year, let alone a month!

Are you logging liquids? Your not having protein shakes, smoothies, sports drinks etc and not logging them are you? Your counting condiments etc?

Throw out the scales and get a new pair if you are weighing everything!