What is the best exercise machine to buy ?

Options

Replies

• 3rdwoozie5
    3rdwoozie5 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    The best machine is one you already have, your body. Machines teach you how to work machines, that's it. As everyone has said, the road and a good pair of shoes is all you really need. Why do you think INSANITY is so successful? No machines.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,541 Member
    Options
    If I bought an exercise machine, to workout at home, what would be the best for a workout ?
    Since I don't want to use up a lot of space personally, a TRX suspension trainer. Now if I had the room, I'd get a Jones rack with a bunch of plates and some dumbells.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    If I bought an exercise machine, to workout at home, what would be the best for a workout ?

How long is a piece of string? It all depends on your objectives, and what you enjoy doing.

From a personal perspective I'd say don't bother with a machine, get outside and run, and do bodyweight resistance training. Minimal investment and quite a lot of potential for improvement until you have a clearer idea of whether you want to invest in something.

Otherwise, I'd suggest a rowing machine, either a WaterRower or Concept2, for a thorough whole body session that combines CV and resistance effect.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue and use an Elliptical machine. LOVE my Ellip. Fought for it in my divorce mediation. Fought hard :angry:

:laugh: Seriously though, it is very good for my hips, knees and ankles. I can choose to use the arms, or not. When I don't it works my core more as I have to balance.

:love: Love my ellip and my free weights
  • SuperC_85
    SuperC_85 Posts: 393
    Options
    A barbell and some plates!

THIS!
  • yogicarl
    yogicarl Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    You've already got it - you were born with it.

Handy accesories - a yoga mat and a pull-up bar.
  • guitargod2014
    guitargod2014 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I would recommend a cross-trainer / elliptical machine. Do also scan ebay etc. to see what is around as there are a lot of people selling them through lack of use. This will allow you to buy a much better quality machine for the same budget and, as some have said, the better quality machines definitely make a difference.
  • Jessicaella10
    Options
    Treadmill will be the best as walking is the best way to stay fit and healthy.
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Jefit app for your phone.

Then do all the bodyweight exercises in it.
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    I agree the road outside your home. It is free. Start walking or running. PS I bought a Sole Treadmill and have gotten my money's worth already. I use it at least 3x's week. I mix up my workouts running, treadmill or DVD's.

Hope this helped. Enjoy.
  • RabbitLost
    RabbitLost Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    If you used your treadmill till it died, then it sounds like you liked using it. Why not just a new treadmill? I have one at home for days I can't get to the gym and I love it.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    squat rack and olympic bar

or just join a gym….
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    SpeSHul_SnoflEHk Posts: 6,256 Member
    Options
    Vibrating-Massage-Slimming-Belt-TD-B08A-.jpg

or

belt-vibrator.jpg

Or, just save your money, and join a gym.
  • DeadliftAddict
    DeadliftAddict Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    Power rack, good Olympic barbell, weight plates all bought online cheap.

This depends on if you have the space.
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    I have and use an elliptical, and love it. It is very low impact, so good for arthritic knees and such.

Truly it comes down to what YOU will do.
  • angel7472
    angel7472 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I guess people dont read. OP cant go outside because they have to answer phones for work. So everything has to be done inside. Also OP has arthritis which limits their movements.
    I have a treadmill and an elliptical. I love my treadmill but the elliptical is low impact and doesnt hurt my joints as much. I bought the elliptical when I injured myself and couldnt use my treadmill for months while I healed. Now I am back to my treadmill.

You enjoyed your treadmill obviously, so why not get a new one? Otherwise I would say elliptical. Or look into something else thats low impact that you would actually use. I would say this though, don't buy something new unless you actually love it and are going to use it. Go to a sporting goods store just to try something else out. If you like it then go online to find the best price. If you dont find anything you like then stick with the treadmill. Go to Treadmilldoctor.com they do all the comparisons for you and tell you the best models for your price range.
  • Whiskybelly
    Whiskybelly Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Based on your needs I'd recommend a cross trainer.

Low impact, and as someone who has damaged ligaments in one knee I can vouch for its safety.
  • jukyu
    jukyu Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    If you can afford it, a stepmill. My favorite all-around piece of cardio equipment.

Otherwise, a treadmill is great for manipulating conditions you may just be guessing about on the road: speed, incline, etc.

Also, I'm a huge fan the switch plate adjustable dumbbells because they take up far less room than a full weight rack. I have a pair that Gold's makes that are awesome. Weider makes some as well. There's a ton of resources online to create your own circuit (bodybuilding.com's "workouts" link has plenty of programs and exercise tutorials that require no gym). Don't neglect resistance training! Your metabolism will thank you =)
  • madhatter2013
    madhatter2013 Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options
    IMO

squatrack1.jpg