will this help me lose 2 pounds a week?

Options
if I eat only 1,200 calories a day and I burn 1,200 a day and drink nothing but water and eat salads and chicken breast and eggs will this help me lose 2 pounds a week? im 5,3 and 173 pounds.

Replies

• StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    There is more to it.

1200 is the minimum recommended intake level for a female. More than likely you actually need more, to fuel your body and deliver proper nutrition. You are ALWAYS burning calories. Your body uses energy to keep you alive and to move you throughout your day. You don't want to cut your calories too low, as lack of nutrition can make things not work so well. Think of a car. If you give it gas but never maintain the brakes, oil, tires: it won't be reliable in the long term.

What calorie intake goal does MyFitnessPal give you, based on your stats and goals? The app uses the information you provide to point you in the right direction. As to what you consume, no food is outright bad. But you do want to aim to fill your macronutrient needs. Lean meats, fruits & veggies, nuts, healthy oils, whole grains, etc. should probably be the bulk of what you eat. If you tell yourself 'only eat x, y and z forever' then you'll quickly find that plan is not sustainable. Its ok to eat other things. Think about portions though.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    :huh:
  • chrisaffatato
    Options
    it tells me I should be eating 1,220 calories to lose weight.
    There is more to it.

1200 is the minimum recommended intake level for a female. More than likely you actually need more, to fuel your body and deliver proper nutrition. You are ALWAYS burning calories. Your body uses energy to keep you alive and to move you throughout your day. You don't want to cut your calories too low, as lack of nutrition can make things not work so well. Think of a car. If you give it gas but never maintain the brakes, oil, tires: it won't be reliable in the long term.

What calorie intake goal does MyFitnessPal give you, based on your stats and goals? The app uses the information you provide to point you in the right direction. As to what you consume, no food is outright bad. But you do want to aim to fill your macronutrient needs. Lean meats, fruits & veggies, nuts, healthy oils, whole grains, etc. should probably be the bulk of what you eat. If you tell yourself 'only eat x, y and z forever' then you'll quickly find that plan is not sustainable. Its ok to eat other things. Think about portions though.
  • chrisaffatato
    Options
    it tells me I should be eating 1,220 calories a day to lose weight.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    it tells me I should be eating 1,220 calories a day to lose weight.

No, it's not. It's telling you to NET 1220 calories per day.....probably to lose 2 lbs per week.

You're 18... 1200 is probably way too low, and what do you mean by "burn 1200"?
  • trinity5703
    Options
    You really REALLY need more than 1200 per day. You body needs a certain amount of calories each day just to function. Seriously, you will not have any energy to do simple daily tasks if you dont.
  • chrisaffatato
    Options
    to matain my weight is 1700 im suppose to subtract 500 calories if I want to lose weight witch would mean I would need to eat 1200 calories to lose weight.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    Well, seeing as that weekly weight loss goal is far too aggressive, as is your eat 1200/burn 1200 plan, yes, you probably would lose that amount per week. You'd also lose hair, lean muscle mass throughout your body including your heart, send your metabolism to hell, end up with skin that looks like a donkey's behind, possibly pass out from lack of calories and nutrition, experience impaired mental function, and be a generally unpleasant person to be around. But sure, you could do it. Sounds like fun, don't you think?

Or you could read this and be awesome: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • alex6971
    alex6971 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Its not healthy to eat that little.

From your stats using fitneessfrog your TDEE is 1936 (based on you doing no exercise). This is the amount your body burns just day to day. To lose 1lb per week you need to eat 500 cals a day less so roughly 1436 plus any exercise calories. 1200 is way too low. You body will soon go into starvation mode. You may see the weight come off quickly but i guarentee it will go back on just as quick!
  • RGv2
    Options
    to matain my weight is 1700 im suppose to subtract 500 calories if I want to lose weight witch would mean I would need to eat 1200 calories to lose weight.

So, you're sedentary? As in you do nothing but sit around?

You don't need to subtract 500 calories to lose weight. Technically you could subtract 50...or 100.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    if I eat only 1,200 calories a day and I burn 1,200 a day and drink nothing but water and eat salads and chicken breast and eggs will this help me lose 2 pounds a week? im 5,3 and 173 pounds.
    You'll end up quitting. Shoot for 1% of your body weight a week and eat the needed calories to sustain lean muscle and be efficient for physical work. Just cutting calories isn't the whole answer. Especially if you're just trying to lose weight for vanity reasons.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    1200 is supposed to be the "net" calories. So on a day when you don't log any exercise, you eat exactly 1200 calories (it really doesn't matter if it's Big Macs or salads). On days you exercise, say you log 500 calories from 90 minutes at the gym, on that day, you would eat 1700 calories.

1700 calories eaten - 500 calories of exercise = 1200 net calories

If you follow this plan, you will lose weight at a reasonable rate.
  • chrisaffatato
    Options
    no I walk 10 miles a day......
  • tjphelps73
    tjphelps73 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    If you are walking 10 miles a day, then eating 1200 calories will net you zero or even less. Your body needs fuel (same as a automobile). Eat every 3 hours, six times a day, and make sure you get plenty of water. Your body will tell you if you are fueling properly. Do not stress about the calories; focus on your nutrients and macros. Are eating smaller meals more often and drinking 100oz of water a day. Losing weight is a lifestyle change; not a diet.

Good Luck
  • RGv2
    Options
    no I walk 10 miles a day......

Then your TDEE isn't 1700 calories, it's more like 2400..