Seafood Newbie

Options
blinker86
blinker86 Posts: 104 Member
I have never liked seafood (with the exception of tuna, if you can even count that), but I am wanting to give it another chance and try to incorporate it into my diet regularly. With that said, what types of fish might be good to start with? I need something mild and easy to cook since I also don't know the first thing about preparing seafood of any kind.

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    well...I guess the question is what is it about seafood you don't like...

Is it seafood or fish or both?

If it's the taste try talipia...or pollock (which takes the taste of anything it comes in contact with)

If it's the texture...hmmm...crab flakes maybe like a tuna sandwich...

I personally love fish/seafood..and one of my favorites is maple glazed salmon

1/4 cup maple syrup
    2 tablespoons soy sauce
    1 clove garlic, minced
    1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
    1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
    1 pound salmon

Mix the ingrediants together let salmon sit in it for 30mins in fridge turning once bake at 400 for 20mins.
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    Options
    mmm....seafood...

boiled-crawfish.jpg
  • blinker86
    Options

If it's the taste try talipia...or pollock (which takes the taste of anything it comes in contact with)

If it's the texture...hmmm...crab flakes maybe like a tuna sandwich...

I personally love fish/seafood..and one of my favorites is maple glazed salmon

1/4 cup maple syrup
    2 tablespoons soy sauce
    1 clove garlic, minced
    1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
    1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
    1 pound salmon

Mix the ingrediants together let salmon sit in it for 30mins in fridge turning once bake at 400 for 20mins.

The last thing I tried was shrimp, and that is definitely a no go. I couldn't handle the texture. In regards to fish, I think it's more of the taste. Regardless, there is definitely a mental barrier there that I just need to get over so I can give it a fair shot again after refusing for years!

I love Red Lobster's maple glazed chicken, so your salmon recipe sounds pretty good!
  • blinker86
    Options
    mmm....seafood...

boiled-crawfish.jpg

Oh no, no, no! This makes me want to run and hide!
  • kyley_ann
    kyley_ann Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    My dad is a commercial fisherman, so I'm excited when anyone is going to try new kinds of fish!

When you say tuna, do you mean tuna steaks or tuna from a can? If it's the latter, you might want to try tuna steaks or swordfish, which have a denser, meatier flavor and texture. They are great on the grill or roasted in the oven with just a little bit of olive oil. Salmon is incredibly easy to cook--again, just put it in the oven at 350* brushed with olive oil or stick it on the grill. (Leave the skin on all of these when you cook them; that will help keep the moisture in! Dry fish is really disappointing.)

If you want something lighter, white fish is a great go to--cod, scrod, haddock,and tilapia (although NOT farm-raised tilapia. Trust me.) are all relatively light and flaky and very healthy. You can sautee them in a pan or roast them in the oven.

Frozen shrimp is great, sauteed and tossed into stir fry or salads. It's cheap and easy. You can add some seasoning/sauce as it cooks to add some flavor, too.

I think its important to buy your fresh fish from a reputable place. If you walk by the counter in the grocery and you can SMELL the fish very strongly, do not buy your fish there.Buying fish is one of the few reasons I venture into whole foods.

Seafood is so different, that if you can identify specifically what you haven't liked in the past, you can try something entirely different this time around! Good luck!
  • kyley_ann
    kyley_ann Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Also, I recently discovered a great, healthy alternative to tuna salad sandwiches: Replace the mayo with a mashed avocado and some salt. Seriously, so delicious! (You just have to make it right before you eat it, because the avocado can get brown.)
  • kdillson70
    Options
    Mmmmmmm, love me some Blackened Salmon!
  • sjaplo
    sjaplo Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    mmm....seafood...

boiled-crawfish.jpg

Picky picky - those are fresh water mud bugs or crawdads not really "sea"food. Man I miss those - can seem to get them in BC.
  • ladykaisa
    ladykaisa Posts: 236 Member
    Options

I can`t stand the taste of fish, but enjoy tilapia because it`s definately not ``fishy"
  • blinker86
    Options
    My dad is a commercial fisherman, so I'm excited when anyone is going to try new kinds of fish!

When you say tuna, do you mean tuna steaks or tuna from a can? If it's the latter, you might want to try tuna steaks or swordfish, which have a denser, meatier flavor and texture. They are great on the grill or roasted in the oven with just a little bit of olive oil. Salmon is incredibly easy to cook--again, just put it in the oven at 350* brushed with olive oil or stick it on the grill. (Leave the skin on all of these when you cook them; that will help keep the moisture in! Dry fish is really disappointing.)

If you want something lighter, white fish is a great go to--cod, scrod, haddock,and tilapia (although NOT farm-raised tilapia. Trust me.) are all relatively light and flaky and very healthy. You can sautee them in a pan or roast them in the oven.

Frozen shrimp is great, sauteed and tossed into stir fry or salads. It's cheap and easy. You can add some seasoning/sauce as it cooks to add some flavor, too.

I think its important to buy your fresh fish from a reputable place. If you walk by the counter in the grocery and you can SMELL the fish very strongly, do not buy your fish there.Buying fish is one of the few reasons I venture into whole foods.

Seafood is so different, that if you can identify specifically what you haven't liked in the past, you can try something entirely different this time around! Good luck!

I have not had tuna steaks, but they definitely sound good! This may be a ridiculous question, but how do I know when fish is fully cooked?
  • tziol
    tziol Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Salmon, cod....fry it with some ingredients (i dont use oil at all, non sticky frying pan and eat with rice, potatoes etc. with some vegetables
  • blinker86
    Options
    mmm....seafood...

boiled-crawfish.jpg

Picky picky - those are fresh water mud bugs or crawdads not really "sea"food. Man I miss those - can seem to get them in BC.

I'm pretty terrified of most bugs, and this is what I would classify as "bugs of the sea". Anything with legs, claws, etc. will never go near my mouth!
  • Me2FitMe
    Me2FitMe Posts: 1,284 Member
    Options
    Tilapia
    Mahi Mahi
    Salmon

... my favs... along with shrimp, scallops, mussels, etc... I love almost all of it! LOL
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    start slow, and build up to this.

glorious.

200807RSCOMBOB2.209184047_std.JPG
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    fish is cooked when it flakes...but most recipes will have a time for you to cook it.

And by the sounds of it you don't like seafood...because of the texture...not sure you can overcome that.

I am from east coast of Canada so seafood and fish are a staple here...

Just start with different fish...esp since you don't mind tuna...

talipia and salmon would be your best bets..then you can move onto other fish like haddock/sole etc.
  • beaches61
    beaches61 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Tilapia, flounder and grouper are mild fish with a light, flaky texture. They are good broiled with some lemon or seasonings or with a light crust of bread crumbs and parmesan cheese. They don't have a "fishy" taste, I think.

The important thing about seafood is to get it fresh, never frozen. As with most things, it's SOOOO much better if it has never been frozen. Depending on where you live, the grocery stores may carry fresh, never frozen seafood.

They are not cheap to buy fresh, though.

I love seafood, but I don't particularly care for fish that has been frozen.

If you are not sure you are going to like fish, before you spend a bunch of money and decide you don't like it, I would suggest going to a restaurant that prepares GOOD seafood (as in fresh) with someone who enjoys seafood and tasting some of it and finding out what you like.

You really don't want to spend a bunch of money on fresh seafood and then find out that you don't like it.
  • breeshabebe
    breeshabebe Posts: 580
    Options
    mmm....seafood...

boiled-crawfish.jpg

I think I need to get myself invited to a crawfish boil-- STAT!
  • blinker86
    Options
    start slow, and build up to this.

glorious.

200807RSCOMBOB2.209184047_std.JPG

I don't see that day coming any time soon, but you go on ahead and enjoy it!
  • blinker86
    Options
    fish is cooked when it flakes...but most recipes will have a time for you to cook it.

And by the sounds of it you don't like seafood...because of the texture...not sure you can overcome that.

I am from east coast of Canada so seafood and fish are a staple here...

Just start with different fish...esp since you don't mind tuna...

talipia and salmon would be your best bets..then you can move onto other fish like haddock/sole etc.

It's really been so long since I've made myself try any type of fish that it's hard to say exactly what I didn't like. I'll definitely figure it out once I try it again. I've managed to get past texture issues with greek yogurt, so I think I could do it with fish.
  • LizaJ2
    LizaJ2 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I find fish and seafood is something you start slow with... just keep trying new things, even if it's just a taste here and there...eventually you will get used to the taste, and you will love it all!