What would you do?

You have just had your dinner, Your 3 year old ask for cereal and you made it, She start crying and refuse to eat it,

1. Would you eat it yourself if there is no one else who can eat it?

2. Would you trow it away even though you hate wasting food?

Honest answers please.

Replies

• jadethief
    jadethief Posts: 266 Member
    I would toss it. I have a 3 year old grandson and that same situation happens frequently. He asks for something specific (last weekend it was pancakes), I make it, he no longer wants it. I don't like to waste food either but if I ate it all, I wouldn't be in a deficit. If it's something that will still be good later, I'll save it and sometimes he'll eventually eat it.
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    My choice would be

3. Take a bite or two, wait 5 seconds and 3 year old suddenly wants it again....but is upset because 2 spoon fulls are missing so have to pour in more.
  • thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Toss it.
    In the grand scheme of things it is not wasting much at all.
  • noneya2010
    noneya2010 Posts: 446 Member
    I would toss it as I don't like cereal or milk. But as a mom/caretaker of young children, trying to lose weight, the first rule is you cannot eat off their plates.
  • wifeyy
    wifeyy Posts: 487 Member
    My choice would be

3. Take a bite or two, wait 5 seconds and 3 year old suddenly wants it again....but is upset because 2 spoon fulls are missing so have to pour in more.

I love this!
  • trivard676
    trivard676 Posts: 90 Member
    Did you both just have dinner or is it just you that had dinner? Cause if we both just had dinner, I don't think I'd be making anything else for a while. Even if they are crying.

Yeah, when I have kids I'll probably lose my hair in the first few years...;)
  • sweetu24
    sweetu24 Posts: 21
    If it is something that I can save and serve later I'll save otherwise toss it. I too hate putting food in dustbin but is it better than putting it in your body specially when you are trying to loose weight.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Tell her to eat it or it goes in the bin... alongside her favourite teddy ho ho ho!!!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    if the 3 year old just had dinner say no to start with.

If they hadn't had dinner make it for them and if they didn't eat it give it to my husband...he is slim and trim anyway...and if that wasn't an option throw it away..if I wanted cereal I would have ate it for dinner.
  • simplycorey
    simplycorey Posts: 721 Member

This. Exactly.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Please don't take this is as mean. I'm letting you know how I internally deal with questions like this while I was losing weight

I ask myself (1) "Hey WBB55, what do you hate more? "Wasting" food? or being 200+ pounds?"
    then (2) "If the decision I make right now was the same decision I was to make for the rest of my life, which would be the better option?"
  • craftywitch_63
    craftywitch_63 Posts: 829 Member
    My kids used to do this all the time and my grandkids (6 and 3) do it now. When I was rasing my kids, and now when I babysit and they do this and we've just had dinner - too bad, so sad, they get nothing for a while - yes, even if they're crying. Crying doesn't kill, believe it or not, and disappointment is a part of life. In fact, learning to deal with disappointment is a character builder.

If we're about to have dinner, they can eat what's prepared. Or not. They are my special little snowflakes but they are not special little snowflakes, if you get my meaning.

If it's a long time between meals, I would pour a few spoonfuls into the bowl and add milk. If they eat it, fine, if not, fine, I'm only wasting a few spoonfuls. If it isn't enough, I can always add more a few spoonfuls at a time.

Being a parent is hard work. :flowerforyou: or, better yet, :drinker:
  • I would pretend to eat it in front of him to see if he changes his mind, if he still doesn't want then the old me would eat it all, the dieting me would throw it away. If I ate everything my son didn't want id be gaining a pound a day lol
  • Pipsg1rl
    Pipsg1rl Posts: 1,414 Member
    Is this an isolated incident or does your child do this all the time?

They say "terrible twos" but really it's "terrible threes." At 3 they UNDERSTAND what's happening.

You need to be firm now or face the consequences. Don't eat it!
  • wifeyy
    wifeyy Posts: 487 Member
    Please don't take this is as mean. I'm letting you know how I internally deal with questions like this while I was losing weight

I ask myself (1) "Hey WBB55, what do you hate more? "Wasting" food? or being 200+ pounds?"
    then (2) "If the decision I make right now was the same decision I was to make for the rest of my life, which would be the better option?"

This is very good. I really need to learn from this. Thanks everyone :)
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    3. Put plastic wrap on it, stick it in the fridge for next time 3 year old asks.
  • DianaGabriela2013
    DianaGabriela2013 Posts: 108 Member
    This might be from a bit of a different perspective. But I have a 2 and a 3 year old. They eat what I eat, last night we had tilapia and sweet potatoe fries.. which I love. But I know that most likely there will be left overs, I hate throwing out food because its expensive and yummy! Anyway, I always serve myself a little less because I know most likely I will be eating a little of their lefts.
    If they ask for a cookie or apple or some other snack after that I will give it to them, I hardly say no to them regarding food, unless its like candy or gummies. I figure they are growing kids and somedays they are just hungrier than others. And if they dont finish their cookie or apple and I have no more calories allowed I offer it to their Dad first ..lol.. who is very thin.. or else too bad, yes throw it out.
    But for the same reason I usually cut it, or serve them a bit, if they ask for more than they get more and I didnt waste.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    If I didn't want the cereal or it would put me over goal, I'd throw it away. I consider my overeating food just as wasteful as tossing it in the trash bin. It's gone either way.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    If I didn't want the cereal or it would put me over goal, I'd throw it away. I consider my overeating food just as wasteful as tossing it in the trash bin. It's gone either way.

Exactly! Either way it's "wasted".
  • scraver2003
    scraver2003 Posts: 528 Member

Exactly! Either way it's "wasted".

Yes!!! Eating something you don't want or need is also wasting food. IMHO it's a BIGGER waste of food to eat it than to throw it away.

Dang children. My 5 yr old does this sometimes. We tell him - eat it or it goes in the garbage. And I tell him he can't have anything else.

Also - we pour SMALL bowls of cereal and give him small servings of food. Then when he eats it, we let him know he can have more if he wants. This way if he doesn't eat it all or does change his mind, it isn't much wasted.