New from the UK - and nervous!

Options
Hi! I'm brand new here,and after downloading the app yesterday I thought it would be a good idea to participate in the forums and actually give this a proper go.

Truth is, according to the NHS BMI calculater - I need to lose about 6 stone. We don't own bathroom scales, but when I visited a friends house I couldn't help but try theirs and learned how heavy I am for the first time in years - and I was actually shocked. I don't actually 'feel' that much overweight even though I know I am - I'm quite tall and have always been 'big' but generally in proportion. I can get on with day to day stuff and never feel like my weight stops me from doing anything I want. Despite this, I recognise that I need to get healthy and sort myself out.

My diet has been much better over the past few months anyway - I've been trying to save money by taking my own dinner into work and as a result have automatically been eating better. This way I'm confident I can stick to the recommended calorie intake for me. I think getting more active may be a problem - my bigger chest puts me off running in public and I can't really spare the money for a gym, so I'm relying on what I can do at home - and so if anyone has any tips, that would be great! I need the willpower, more than anything. I know there is no quick fix, but I'm not sure where to start.

I think overall I'd be happy with losing about 4 stone (about 60lbs) and everything else is a bonus.

Also, if anyone can give me ideas for snacks or tricks to stop getting hungry between meals, that would be great. I'm not really a fan of fruit but I do love veg.

Kx

Replies

• emmaxbon
    emmaxbon Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Hi I am from the UK too and have added you as a friend :)

I've been doing this from begining of Jan and the only exercise I have been doing is walking and has lost 2 stone so far. In the last 2 weeks I've started the 5k runner programme (similar to C25K) after buying an extremely supportive sports bra!

Good luck on your weight loss journey.
  • kerryplier
    Options
    That's amazing! I've never considered walking as exercise but that's a great idea - and just in time for the nice weather. Thanks for the tip!

K
  • orangesox
    orangesox Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hiya,

I'm from the UK and added you as a friend too haha!

I did put this in my message, but figured it would be helpful for everyone else too!

I'm totally put off by public exercise due to my rather generous chest too! I've started exercising at home using EA Sports Active 2 on the Wii which I've found really helpful because it has a heartrate monitor which accurately tracks the number of calories burnt, and I can do it at home and easily fit it into my lifestyle (I even use it while I'm waiting for the washing to finish etc).

You can get a wii and a few games including EA Sports Active 2 for less than £40 from places like CEX which is about the same as a single months gym membership. I did get a set of free weights to use with it as I prefer them to resistance bands, but there's so much you can do at home with minimal money spent!

Good luck x
  • helizi
    helizi Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Hi, fellow UK'er here and in much the same boat as you, I can't afford a gym membership. I took up skipping instead, in my own back yard. It's good cardio exercise, it's fun and all you need is a bit of rope. Walking is great as well, you can find little ways to work it in, like getting off the bus one stop early or parking further away from work. For your hunger pangs, I'm a great fan of hardboiled eggs. Cheap, low in calories and surprisingly satiating.
  • GlenG1969
    GlenG1969 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Hi Kerry, Im new here too, I found this site and joined on Monday. I find it a great help with watching the calories, and tracking my workouts. Speaking of which, you don’t need to join a gym or risk damaging yourself by starting a running program. Emma hit the nail on the head by suggesting walking as a great way to start exercising; she also lost two stone big bonus.

It’s all about becoming more active and increasing that activity over time. Your body will adapt to exercise very quickly and as such you will need to keep changing what and when you do things. Contrary to what many so called fitness experts preach, endless cardio sessions (Steady state cardio) are not the only way to help fight the fat. Short Interval training sessions (20-30 mins) are a great way to ramp up your heart rate and they will keep your body burning fat for much longer than an hours slow plod. Helizi's mentions skipping, this is a brilliant exercise and you can do it in fits and spurts and give yourself and really good work out even after 10 mins.

Orangesocks mentions weights which is Resistance training, (weight training). This is another excellent way to torch fat. Many women shy away from weights’ in the mistaken belief that they will suddenly grow huge muscles, not so. I have lifted weights for all my adult life and now how hard it is to even gain 1lb of muscle. Resistance training can mean any number of things so don’t be put off by thinking about huge bodybuilder’s bench pressing 600lbs. Simple things like bodyweight squats, bicep curls with bags of sugar or using cheap resistance bands are all you need. The internet is awash with routines and exercises that can be carried out in the comfort of your own home. Much as I hate to admit it, my Mrs bought some Davina DVDs and they are surprising ok. They are quick tempo and mix up all of the above, from intervals to res resistance and steady state cardio.

Either way you approach it just getting on this site and setting yourself goals make you accountable to yourself. Its helped me already and I train everyday twice a day, the food tracker really surprised me and using that alone can help guide you to a 1 pound weight loss per week.

Good look and keep up the good work.

Glen
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    welcome. from UK too. stick with it dont do anything drastic and you will be fine. for exercise you tube is has loads. i use fitness blender.com for my exercises. good luck and dont be nervous.

panache bra from bravissimo did the trick for me.
  • KateTheBlonde
    KateTheBlonde Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hi Kerry

Welcome to the site. I did this a few years ago but alas have slipped back into old habits, so here I am starting again and determined to get myself into a good shape. I agree with the above posters - running is not the only way to go! I went overboard with it and did a half marathon 2 years ago, having never really run before and with only 3 months' training. My knee still hurts. Weight training is the thing for me, gets rid of fat, makes you more toned.

I have big legs and was worried that weight training would just make them bigger - instead they got slimmer but a better shape, less wibble!

Good luck and I hope we can support each other!
    Kate
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    You lose weight by eating at a deficit. With 60 lbs. to go, set your goal to 1 lb. per week. Log everything you eat & drink accurately & honestly. Weigh your food.

I'm less hungry when I use MFP's protein & fiber goals as minimums and ignore fat & carbs. It will take trial & error to find what works for you.

Take "before" photos & measurements, and read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • Chelseraptor
    Chelseraptor Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I know this was mentioned already, but youtube is an awesome way to save money on a gym membership! You can find full hour videos, or if you don't have time, even 15 minute work outs. I feel so much more comfortable doing them in my own living room (with the shades drawn, of course!)
  • idsk
    idsk Posts: 16
    Options
    I can use the gym at work. But can't afford big gym membership. But have bought a fitbit flex for motivation. Log everything on here. And have lots of encouraging friends here. Oh yeah I got a rescue dog last year and he needs walking
  • farway
    farway Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Another vote for just walking, I have a backpack & walk just over two miles to the shops, put shopping in the back pack and cheat by catching bus home, but could walk back if I felt like it, you may feel like it, or just shorter trips

Walking works wonders, free and fresh air
  • loubidy
    loubidy Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Hello from Orkney :)

You've come to the right place :) One the forums if you don't mention VLCD, detox's or get all defensive we're all pretty nice, helpful people.

Good luck with your journey. Small goals will get you there.
  • Lalalosin
    Options
    Hiya Kerry......I just found this site too! I really think having others who are on the same journey is gonna be the key for this happening! I started 2 weeks ago......I drink a protein drink in the morning....watch your portions....eat 3 meals a day...and 3 snacks...8 glasses of water! I have had a cupcake both weeks and eaten out once each week and still managed to lose 6 pounds!! Now I have to get motivated to workout! Good luck to you! Keep in touch if you'd like!! Cheers!
  • kerryplier
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the tips, I've already arranged to go on some long walks this weekend and my boyfriend is into weights so I'll get some help there (he's a skinny minnie and looking to bulk up haha)

Hopefully I'll eventually be able to give some advice back!
  • minuz5
    minuz5 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Hello from Orkney :)

You've come to the right place :) One the forums if you don't mention VLCD, detox's or get all defensive we're all pretty nice, helpful people.

mmmm, Orkney cheese :D
  • wimpywrx
    wimpywrx Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Hi all, I am also from the UK and am really enjoying my new journey through weight loss. I am always looking for new friends so please feel free to add me to your friends list. :-)
  • 86sarahb
    86sarahb Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Also UK, feel free to add me :drinker:
  • mpjmmp
    mpjmmp Posts: 12
    Options
    Hello from Orkney :) ... if you don't mention VLCD, detox's or get all defensive we're all pretty nice, helpful people.

Hi and welcome. LOTS of us are new, (I'm only 2 weeks old here) and Orkney is absolutely right. MOST people here are very nice and extremely helpful. For me, I had to realize that everyone has an opinion, and I had to discover what is right and worked for me. I've got a LONG way to go, but find that participating in these forums is actually quite helpful. I never thought that the social media aspect of weight loss would be so important.

Feel free to friend me..... I’m in the US, but would LOVE to have some friends from across the pond.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm in Scotland feel free to add me if you wish. You don't have to go running or go to a gym to get active. Just do something as basic as walking. For the first 3 months that was all I did. then when your a little more confident you can add other things to your routine. IMO the most important thing is consistency and not to deprive yourself. Just because your losing weight does not mean you can't eat the occasional bit of chocolate if you work it in to your calorie allowance. Good luck
  • DonnaMarieS87
    Options
    I'm from the UK and log in every single day. Everyone please feel free to add me! I just had the confidence to open up my diary to friends... Now I just need some! :D