Seafood Newbie

Options

Replies

• sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    Tip on cooking fish: If your whole kitchen smells like fish - you've overcooked it. The 2 easiest fish dishes I do are:

Baked Haddock:

2.5 lbs Haddock
    1/2c Bread Crumbs
    1/2 Stick Melted Butter
    1t Old Bay Seasoning.

Lay the fish out in a baking dish, mix the butter, bread crumbs and seasoning, and cover the fish. Put in a 425 degree oven for 15 (maaaaybe 18) minutes.

Ask them to remove the skin when you buy the haddock filets.

Oven Steamed Cod

2.5 lbs cod
    a Little Softened Butter
    some lemon

Lay the cod out on Aluminum Foil, dot with butter, squeeze lemon over it all. Seal the foil into a pouch. 425 Oven for 15 minutes (max)

The drippings in the foil can be reduced with a little butter to make a nice sauce too.

Someone above mentioned Pollock: Maybe I just dont have good luck with pollock, but I've found it to be a stronger fish flavor than Haddock or Cod. Pollock's pretty common though; Most processed/frozen fish, is pollock. Imitation crab is also pollock.
  • blinker86
    blinker86 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Tilapia, flounder and grouper are mild fish with a light, flaky texture. They are good broiled with some lemon or seasonings or with a light crust of bread crumbs and parmesan cheese. They don't have a "fishy" taste, I think.

The important thing about seafood is to get it fresh, never frozen. As with most things, it's SOOOO much better if it has never been frozen. Depending on where you live, the grocery stores may carry fresh, never frozen seafood.

They are not cheap to buy fresh, though.

I love seafood, but I don't particularly care for fish that has been frozen.

If you are not sure you are going to like fish, before you spend a bunch of money and decide you don't like it, I would suggest going to a restaurant that prepares GOOD seafood (as in fresh) with someone who enjoys seafood and tasting some of it and finding out what you like.

You really don't want to spend a bunch of money on fresh seafood and then find out that you don't like it.

I'm definitely not opposed to buying fresh if it will increase my change of actually liking it. I've never really paid any attention, but I'm sure I can find fresh seafood nearby relatively easily.
  • bmondloch
    bmondloch Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I have a grilling cookbook that has many different types of recipes from appetizers to desserts. Yes you can grill dessert. There is a recipe for Jamacian Halibut with fruit salsa that is very good. Halibut can be pretty pricey so I have done salmon filets and even tilapia. I use a grill pan on the grill sprayed with cooking spray to prevent sticking. Tilapia is a very mild fish as is halibut in my opinion. I add a chopped and seeded jalapeno to the salsa for just a little heat. The sweet slightly spicy taste compliments the fish. I doubt the links below with be active in this post but just copy and post into your browser. I have also used this on chicken and it tastes great. Just one other note is that you can marinade overnight and it does great.

Fish recipe: http://bbq.about.com/od/fishseafoodrecipes/r/ble40603a.htm
    Fruit Salsa: http://bbq.about.com/od/fruitrecipes/r/ble40603b.htm
  • beaches61
    beaches61 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I see that you live in Illinois. It may be harder to find fresh seafood in the Midwest. I grew up there.

Go to a good grocery store, or a fish market if there is one near you, and ask them where they get their seafood and if it has ever been frozen.
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    Options
    Fresh fish is the way to go....

one of these should be quite tasty for you:

any waterway in your area will be loaded with these guys:
    BluegillChilhoweeNegus_jpg.jpg

a little tougher to find, but most say they're tastier and they are easier to get larger filets
    sms20060413192.JPG

and finally, the best tasting fish in fresh water: stdprod_081003.jpg
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Out of curiosity, why did you say "Tuna, if you count that." Last I check, tuna was seafood!

Tuna isn't a super mild fish; more mild fish are whitefish, tilapia, cod, perch, etc. The age-old "soak in milk before cooking" can help eliminate any fishy flavor or smell.

I'm wondering if you might like "stronger" fish than you think based on your mentioning of tuna. Salmon, trout, etc. I've been in a big smelt kick lately, but not sure if eating the whole fish would turn you off (though it's delicious!).

If you didn't like the texture of shrimp, maybe stay away from other shellfish, which have similar textures. Calamari has firmer texture than shrimp, so that might be something to try.

Also, if you haven't tried sushi, don't be afraid to! You'd be surprised at how good some quality raw fish tastes; I prefer raw tuna to cooked!

Just watch your mercury levels on certain fish ;)
  • StephVa22
    StephVa22 Posts: 28
    Options
    Tlapia fillets.....very mild. Easy to cook! I get the big bag of individually portioned fillets (in the frozen section). 108 cals per fillet, I throw creole seasoning on it, cook it on 450* in the oven for about 14 minutes (flipping once) and voila!
  • blinker86
    Options
    Out of curiosity, why did you say "Tuna, if you count that." Last I check, tuna was seafood!

Because I've only ever eaten it from a can or a pouch, which doesn't make me feel like I'm actually eating fish!
  • _benjammin
    _benjammin Posts: 1,224 Member
    Options
    I love seafood but salmon is my least favorite, not a swordfish fan either. Cod can taste like whatever you want.
    I live on the NC coast so I'm spoiled with the availability of fresh fish. My favorites are tuna, grouper, mahi-mahi, flounder, red fish/drum.
    Regardless, freshness is key. If you have a fish market with whole fish, generally the clearer the eyes, the fresher. Don't worry, a fish market will filet or steak cut a fish for you.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    The best way I ever made Tilapia was this, the other people who had it still rave about it.

Put a couple of tilapia fillets on a piece of heavy duty foil and make a little pouch so the liquid ingredients you add won't run out. You will be folding it closed into a sealed pouch so make sure it is big enough to close.

On top of the fish, dot butter all over it. Add Rotel diced tomatoes "Mexican" style with cilantro and lime juice. I squirted a little lemon juice on it too and added lemon pepper seasoning.

Put on the grill. It should take about 15 minutes on medium heat. Although my bf left his on a lot longer so the fish was more firm, almost burnt, he likes it that way.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options

Because I've only ever eaten it from a can or a pouch, which doesn't make me feel like I'm actually eating fish!

while canned tuna is great for some things...
    high-grade raw or rare (pan seared) tuna is incredibly luxurious.
    no fishy taste either....but AMAZING texture and mouth feel. *drool*
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    Let me summarize just so I understand:

"I don't like seafood. Please tell me what kind of seafood I might like."

Why?
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options

Why?

Because it opens a whole new range of lean protein? Chicken 5 nights a week gets old fast ...
  • blinker86
    Options

Why?

Why what? I didn't ask anyone to tell me what I would like. I asked for suggestions of good, potential "starter" seafood that is more mild and cooking methods to try. Thus far, I've received an excellent array of responses and am really looking forward to trying some of these ideas.
  • blinker86
    Options

Why?

Because it opens a whole new range of lean protein? Chicken 5 nights a week gets old fast ...

Exactly! I know that fish is a great, healthy source of protein and would love to be able to eat it regularly. I just needed some input from seafood eaters so that I can get the ball rolling. :smile:
  • yayamom3
    yayamom3 Posts: 939 Member
    Options
    I love seafood of any variety cooked any way. But I'm wondering if, for you, fish tacos might be a good place to start. A lightly battered, fried filet inside a soft flour tortilla with shredded lettuce, cheese and a nice sauce (perhaps a chipotle mayo). Sprinkle a little lime juice on everything. I'm thinking hiding the fish in all of those other ingredients might make your first baby steps into the world of seafood feel a little less daunting.

And I don't know if you have Taco John's where you live, but their fish tacos (without cheese) are only 250 calories, and they are delicious!
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    Tilapia and Mahi are my favorites. I personally find salmon to be very "fishy" and am not a fan. I've only had it once where I liked it. Fish is amazing on the grill, by far my favorite way to prepare it! Lightly breaded & seasoned, grilled, and squeeze some lemon on it. Scallops are delicious, too.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options

Yikes, my writing is all weird today. Still waking up, I guess...

Interesting. Do you have any hang ups on seafood outside of taste and texture? Do you like tuna out of the pouch or can because it doesn't really "look" like seafood? If you have that sort of hang up, you might have to prepare fish in more camouflaged dishes or buy frozen cuts so it looks less like "an animal."

Otherwise, if you just feel like canned tuna seems less "seafoody," you might like more fish than you think! I consider canned and pouched (?) tuna much fishier than other sources, particularly when fresh!
  • jmc0806
    jmc0806 Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    tilapia and then salmon
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    start slow, and build up to this.

glorious.

200807RSCOMBOB2.209184047_std.JPG

Toss the rice stuff, then throw the rest of it on the grill and make some garlic butter for dipping!