Can Spinn Make you Fat?

http://blogs.bicycling.com/blogs/fitchick/2014/04/08/shes-got-legs/
She’s Got Legs

I have some alarming news. Riding a bike, especially if you do it with any frequency, will give you muscular legs. And that’s not all. Should you be unfortunate enough to be a sprinter or hill climber, it may also give your booty a bit of a boost. You should really stop now. Let your legs atrophy a little. Maybe find an alternative form of exercise that can minimize the size of your thighs. I’m sorry I’ve kept this from you for so long. Turns out Harper’s Bazaar scooped me on this public service message late last summer when they broke the story: Is Spinning Making You Fat?

Scars and bulging quads? These legs carry me through this wonderful life.

I know. I know. They weren’t talking about actually riding a bike outside. Why on Earth would anyone do that? Helmets mess up your hair and there are bugs out there. But they were sounding the alarm for any and all cycling “Spinsters” (yeah, for real…”Spinsters”. Because nobody is going to marry a lady with large quads, I mean really, duh…). Yes, cycling burns calories and lots of them. Yes, you may really enjoy it. But is it giving you the body you desire? Or much more importantly, the body you think that you should desire to be desirable? That is the scary question.

Unless you’re an apple-shaped woman with skinny legs, you might be in danger of developing muscles down there where the knobby sticks should be. That’s not just me talking. In the Bizarre, I mean Bazaar, article, celebrity trainer David Kirsch notes that though he is not “anti-Spinning” he lets said apple shaped women with skinny legs go once a week, but forbids fashion models to ride at all.

Sigh.

I’m not even going to go into the fact that Kirsch and company would likely never fret over their male clientele’s popping quads. That’s shooting fish in a barrel here. What bothers me most about this stream of nonsense is 1) The notion that muscle is being made synonymous with fat and 2) that we should choose our exercise based on how it makes us look rather than how it makes us feel. Forget the joy. Ditch the endorphins. For the love of all that is holy, don’t get strong. If riding a bike gives you muscular legs, take up rowing. if that gives you muscular arms, take up tennis. Hmm, that might give you muscular arms and legs. You know, it’s better to have a seat, stop eating, and just be skinny fat as the models, or more specifically the models’ trainers, might say.

I have a better idea. Ladies (gents, you too), go for a ride, maybe two, or 200. Then go get yourself a nice pair of Lucky jeans (a favorite among the lovely ladies I ride with), a white T and a pair of boots. Then go out into the world with those freshly dressed strong legs and kick some *kitten*. After all, that is what those legs of yours are actually made to do.

In response to this article:
http://www.harpersbazaar.com/beauty/health-wellness-articles/is-spinning-making-you-fat-0913?src=soc_fcbks

Replies

• BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Supposed to be Spinning. Darn it.
  • sillygoosie
    sillygoosie Posts: 1,109 Member
    I read the actual article yesterday. What a load of crap.
  • primal_cupcakes
    primal_cupcakes Posts: 280 Member
    Cycling really has made my butt and legs much more muscular. I stopped doing it last spring for several months when I was injured and the muscles atrophied a bit. Glad they're back to normal! I like them the way they are now much better.
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    I love how the original article demonizes spinning for increasing your appetite. I mean, who actually ENJOYS eating food, anyway?
  • KillaKermie
    KillaKermie Posts: 8 Member
    I did spinning for a bit but I've dropped it now I'd rather do and hour elliptical x
  • sillygoosie
    sillygoosie Posts: 1,109 Member
    I love how the original article demonizes spinning for increasing your appetite. I mean, who actually ENJOYS eating food, anyway?

Right? All the calories you burn, you need to eat back anyway. It's the most convoluted piece of crap I've read in a long time. I love my skull crushing thighs. Even if I didn't, I would still be on my (real) bike because it's my happy place.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member

One of the things I love about my Saturday long ride is that I can eat around 3200 calories or so on a Saturday and still be in roughly a 500 calorie deficit...I love Saturday...
  • breeshabebe
    breeshabebe Posts: 580
    I've been trying to decide all week if I want to start spinning (classes start tonight). I'm kinda nervous about the newbie gains and water retention that I know will happen when I start... kinda silly.. but true.
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    I read the actual article yesterday. What a load of crap.

^Yes I agree, a big load of crap...
  • WillLift4Tats
    WillLift4Tats Posts: 1,699 Member
    :noway: I just..I don't...I can't even..
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    I don't think you guys should worry to much about it. I lift heavy, spin and do step aerobics and I don't have huge thighs... plus I only get water retention from lifting. I didn't have that issue when I did cardio alone.
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Good thing the author knows nothing about track cycling!

0,,16140848_303,00.jpg

Oh the humanity!
    Won't anyone think of the children?!