Need motivation. Seriously.

Options
hmg90
hmg90 Posts: 314 Member
So basically...I'm comfort eating/drinking. I'm not looking to lose a lot of weight, about 15 lbs or so.

I'm currently without work, and that's what's killing me. I'm showing all the signs of too-long unemployment - pyjamas all day, following Amanda Bynes on Twitter, growing emotionally attached to guests on Dr Phil.

I'm going nuts. With no real activities to fill the day, my focus tend to dwell around the next meal. I'm doing fairly well in terms of avoiding carbs but it doesn't help when I'm eating an entire rotisserie chicken in one meal.
If I can't have wine at the end of the day or enjoy some bacon, I will hit the wall. I suppose the obvious answer here is "get something to do", but, well, easier said than done. I've tried focusing my frustration into exercise but after I've gone for a run or a power walk there is still too much left of the day. Also, it's dull.

Help. This is an American forum so I can't be the only unemployed *kitten*.

Replies

• kdubby22
    kdubby22 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    It's definitely very easy to fall into a comfortable pattern from time to time. I know personally that I can't just go for a run and feel fulfilled, I'm the kind of person who needs to be more involved and I love trying new things. I don't know your financial situation nor is it my business, but maybe try joining a health club? They have a lot more activities that a regular gym. Many have group fitness classes, pools, basketball courts, etc. that can get you involved, meet new people and try new things. If that's not a good move financially at this time, start traveling outside your neighborhood! For example, I live in Baltimore. I can just park my car on one block and spend the day walking around, going to parks, window shopping, watching street performers, etc. It gets you out of the house and walking around definitely will help give you that exercise element.

Another thing is do you have any hobbies, or did you used to have any that you loved to do and haven't done in a while? It's always fun to rekindled things you once enjoyed. I'm also a huge fan of Groupon and Living Social deals which also help get you and about with fun events and activities locally.

Hope this helps you a little bit :) don't get discouraged. Just look at this period of your life as an open window to take charge and reroute your goals!

Kelsey
  • Samby_v1
    Samby_v1 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Add me if you like. I'm an actor so I am well acquainted with long-term unemployment. I gave myself a very short term challenge (my butt was hanging out of my pants of the UK and US variety and I was damned if I was buying new clothes), and managed to convert myself into enjoying exercise. It turns out that I'd been hating (and quitting) running because it bored me so much, but after trying lots of different exercise found I loved kettlebells. And now I work out three times a week, with yoga/mobility/lying around my sofa with sore muscles on rest days.

The biggest challenge is now that I've miraculously managed to land myself paid work for the next couple of months, can I carry on like I have been, or will I let it slide?
  • DJLMB
    DJLMB Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Volunteering? Fills up your time AND looks great on a CV :)
  • HappyStack
    HappyStack Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    Join a class. Martial arts, team sports, or something. Volunteer (it's better than not working). Learn a new skill. Take in some new sights, go somewhere local you haven't been for a long time, see how it's changed... set yourself a challenge every day... start a project that will take you a week or longer to complete... invite friends over, teach them (or get them to teach you) how to cook a tasty, healthy meal.

Loads of things to do.
  • FiftyxThirty
    Options
    Yeah, the elastic waistbands on sweatpants + my unemployment = rapid expanding waist without me noticing. I've just started really getting a routine together, and I know what you mean that it can get boring sometimes.

Have you considered taking up learning a musical instrument or a skill like knitting/sewing/etc? These things use a surprising amount of effort and concentration from our minds and can burn some calories without you sprinting through a track. Taking a class or trying to learn at home could break up a little bit of your monotony. You don't even need to become a master at these things, just playing around and using some creativity can be really refreshing.

I took up photography a few years ago, and it has been a great way for me to not think about food or drinks 24/7 while I'm working on my better health practices :-)

Good luck!!
  • wyattj99
    wyattj99 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Photography is a good one...love my camera!
  • Amberlynnek
    Amberlynnek Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    go volunteer somewhere! or apply for a job at your gym.
  • krawhitham
    krawhitham Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    I'M UNEMPLOYED!

I've been laid off twice in the last 6 years!

WOOHOO!

Anyways, I definitely am loving my unemployment as I built a garden in my back yard, I built a Kentucky stick chair (google it) for lounging while drinking my coffee in the morning. I broke out my old sewing machine that I haven't touched since high school (because I've been working full time and there's no time for activities when working!)

I also got a gym membership, it's not too expensive (about 30$ a month and totally worth it) I use the elliptical, go to classes, use the sauna and weights. It is right near a lake in my town so I go jog/walking around the lake too.

Since I'm on a fixed budget I can really only buy necessities at the grocery store and that makes weight loss easier. I only have canned beans and rice, some yogurt, bananas, stuff like that.

I've also been trying to teach myself the banjo. It's a lot of fun and takes my mind off of mindless eating.

I gained 45 lbs while working because I was so stressed out and work was taking over my life, and now I finally feel like I have my life back! I can't wait to start working again in something that I enjoy now, like wood working or gardening :)
  • PatsyFitzpatrick
    PatsyFitzpatrick Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Volunteering? Fills up your time AND looks great on a CV :)

This. :drinker: Plus it may turn into bumping into someone who may help you land a job.