High protein side dish recipes?

Options
_lyndseybrooke_
_lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
I'm looking for some high protein side dishes that are under 200 calories per 1 cup (or another decent portion size) serving.

I was thinking something like brown rice with black beans, but every recipe I find for that has like 15 ingredients and involves a lot of chopping of vegetables and other prep work. I just want something simple that I can whip up for dinner in a relatively short amount of time. If I were to cook some brown rice using low sodium broth instead of water, add a can of drained black beans along with some garlic powder, onion powder, salt, pepper, and maybe a pinch of cumin - does that sound like it would taste good?

Any other high protein and relatively low calorie side dishes that are simple would be greatly appreciated!

Replies

• C1C2C3
    C1C2C3 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I don't have any side dish recipes to share but definitely interested to see if anyone else has ideas! Always looking for high protein/low calorie options.

Regarding your question about the brown rice and beans..it sounds really good to me! This wouldn't really add to the protein but if it were me, I would definitely add a tablespoon or two of salsa on top and depending on my calorie count that day, possibly a little sour cream and shredded cheese.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    Options
    I don't have any side dish recipes to share but definitely interested to see if anyone else has ideas! Always looking for high protein/low calorie options.

Regarding your question about the brown rice and beans..it sounds really good to me! This wouldn't really add to the protein but if it were me, I would definitely add a tablespoon or two of salsa on top and depending on my calorie count that day, possibly a little sour cream and shredded cheese.

I've decided to try this: 1 box of Uncle Ben's Instant Brown Rice, 1 15 oz can low-sodium black beans, 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth, 1 1/3 cups water, and the spices I mentioned topped with 1 tbsp Greek yogurt (instead of sour cream for a little extra protein), and a sprinkle of 2% sharp cheddar cheese. Should make about 8 1 cup servings before the toppings. That will be the side for my 4 oz of thin pork chops and 1/2 cup sugar free apple sauce to dip it in. All for about 510 calories. That'll be dinner next Wednesday and Thursday. Can't wait!

I'd still like some ideas for future reference, though, so hopefully some people will chime in.
  • NualaTW
    NualaTW Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I whipped up something that was very good last night. 1/4 cup dry quinoa, 1/2 cup chicken stock, 1/5 tsp minced garlic (or garlic powder), 1/4 tsp thyme, 1/8 tsp sea salt, 1/4 tsp black pepper, 1/4 cup chopped onion, 1/2 cup chopped mushrooms.

Lightly toast quinoa with tsp of butter in saucepan, stir in garlic and stock, bring to boil, cover and cook quinoa on simmer for about 15 minutes. Saute mushroom and onions then add to quinoa once cooked. Add salt, pepper, thyme (and chopped parsley if you like).

220 cals, 11g protein

This sounds time consuming, but really is pretty easy to do while waiting for meat to cook or whatever.
  • Amberlynnek
    Amberlynnek Posts: 405 Member
    Options

I've decided to try this: 1 box of Uncle Ben's Instant Brown Rice, 1 15 oz can low-sodium black beans, 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth, 1 1/3 cups water, and the spices I mentioned topped with 1 tbsp Greek yogurt (instead of sour cream for a little extra protein), and a sprinkle of 2% sharp cheddar cheese. Should make about 8 1 cup servings before the toppings. That will be the side for my 4 oz of thin pork chops and 1/2 cup sugar free apple sauce to dip it in. All for about 510 calories. That'll be dinner next Wednesday and Thursday. Can't wait!

I'd still like some ideas for future reference, though, so hopefully some people will chime in.

Replace sour cream with 0% fat plain greek yogurt - tastes the same but bumps the protein.
  • macrotracko
    macrotracko Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Refried black beans! Do not be fooled by the word fried in there, they are pretty low in fat. Nutritional stats vary by brand but you can find some for around 200 calories per cup with 10g of protein, give or take.
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    I'm looking for some high protein side dishes that are under 200 calories per 1 cup (or another decent portion size) serving.

I was thinking something like brown rice with black beans, but every recipe I find for that has like 15 ingredients and involves a lot of chopping of vegetables and other prep work. I just want something simple that I can whip up for dinner in a relatively short amount of time. If I were to cook some brown rice using low sodium broth instead of water, add a can of drained black beans along with some garlic powder, onion powder, salt, pepper, and maybe a pinch of cumin - does that sound like it would taste good?

Any other high protein and relatively low calorie side dishes that are simple would be greatly appreciated!

Meals or food in general is as complicated or simple as you make it. I live in a country where people eat rice and beans every day .
    Beans are usually cooked in a pot with an onion and a few cloves of garlic and some cumin and then the rice is topped with the beans....ready. Many people add on top of that salsa ( the kind you prefer ), some a little bit of cream ( I use plain yogurt ) or a fried egg, which makes it a whole meal. You can do the same with lentils, chick peas and other pulses/legumes. Just because a recipe has 15 ingredients does not mean you have to follow it.
    Good Luck !
  • rondaj05
    rondaj05 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    In for ideas.
  • Amberlynnek
    Options
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    Options

Replace sour cream with 0% fat plain greek yogurt - tastes the same but bumps the protein.

You may want to go back and re-read what I said. In fact, I'll bold it for you. ;)
  • Amberlynnek
    Options
    Oh I'm sorry if I didn't bother reading every detail of your menu and saw something from another poster and weighed in on it. If I knew you'd be so rude, I wouldn't bother posting. So for future reference use this:

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=low+calorie+high+protein+side+dishes
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    Options
    Oh I'm sorry if I didn't bother reading every detail of your menu and saw something from another poster and weighed in on it. If I knew you'd be so rude, I wouldn't bother posting. So for future reference use this:

Uh, what? I wasn't being rude. Hence the smiley face. Chill out.

Typically when a user responds to a post, it can be assumed that they read that post. My bad for assuming you read what you were responding to.

There, NOW I'm being rude.
  • Amberlynnek
    Options

Typically when a user responds to a post, it can be assumed that they read that post. My bad for assuming you read what you were responding to.

Not too entirely different from your "not rude" post. Good day.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    Options

Not too entirely different from your "not rude" post. Good day.

Oy...
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    Cook up some quinoa with chicken broth. You can make a bunch and it will keep in the fridge for a few days. I just throw in some thawed out frozen veg and/or dried fruit use a little vinaigrette to finish it off, so it can be a different flavour profile each night.
  • Cryren8972
    Cryren8972 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Stuffed sweet potatoes are fantastic. Stuff with beans, cheese, salsa and greek yogurt that has been blended with taco seasoning mix. If you use this as your main meal, and leafy greens on the side, you can eat the entire potato for around 250 calories. If you're using it as a side, just use a really small sweet potato, or cut this in half and save the rest for later.

Black beans cooked with lime juice, onions, and cilantro are tasty, and not many ingredients.

Veggies with hummus are also a high protein, low calorie option...and great with sandwiches or salad.

Red potatoes cut into chunks, tossed in olive oil and salt, baked until almost done, then add broccoli, continue baking until broccoli is starting to get crunchy. Broccoli is high in protein and very low calorie.
  • Linda6580
    Linda6580 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Tuna Cakes are pretty good, I have tried a few different recipes and have subbed the miracle whip for non-fat greek yogurt for added protein. I am looking at trying a open faced tuna melt that I just seen also.
    Chicken has a lot of protein.
    Also seen a chicken fried rice recipe I wanted to try to.

Also in for more ideas myself.
  • Mello_Rello
    Mello_Rello Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    I love quinoa, black beans, and mushrooms. A small serving of that, a healthy alfalfa salad, and a protein, and I'm good to go.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    Options
    This would be so much easier if I liked quinoa. :/