lunch is BORING!

Options
What do you guys eat for lunch? Approx how many calories? What time do you eat lunch? Do you like to switch it up or eat the same few things every day?

I have the biggest issue with this meal! I don't like to eat heavy at all during the day because I get tired and sluggish. So I try to keep it light like protein & fruit plates or salads but I'm just bored. They never sound good ;) I had a lean cuisine today because I didn't feel like making anything and it was terrible.

Just looking for ideas!!

Replies

• Derpes
    Derpes Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    Try making chicken breast with various flavorings/rubs such as applewood/peppercorn, etc:

0005440000262_500X500.jpg
  • dacspace
    dacspace Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    My family isn't big on leftovers so I will portion out dinner from the night before and have it for lunch. Most of the time more than one portion is leftover so I will freeze the extras. I grab one out each morning to have for lunch. It's been a great way to not waste food and allows me easy portion control.

ETA: Forgot to add other ideas! I know what you mean about getting bored... leftovers can get very boring! So on days when that doesn't sound good, I will opt for a stuffed pita sandwich or maybe tuna with some crackers. Nothing too exciting there either but with a pita pocket, I can change it up to my liking. Lately it's been using shredded chicken with a laughing cow cheese wedge mixed in and then stuffing it with a ton of veggies into the pita. Another option is a Mexican style rice bowl - rice, black beans, chicken, salsa and maybe a bit of cheese. Very good and filling!
  • kandell
    kandell Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I typically bring leftovers from dinner the night before. But salads or sandwiches are good, too. You may try greek yogurt if you want something light with protein.

I really love stir fry because it's not too heavy but not too light, and there are so many ways to switch it up to keep it interesting.
  • kdillson70
    Options
    Feel free to view my diary. I'm just the opposite I guess, lunch is usually my largest meal. It keeps me fueled for my 60-90 minutes workouts in the afternoon.
  • ValeriePlz
    ValeriePlz Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Lately I have been doing salads with some kind of protein. For example, today was 4 oz. of shredded chicken tossed with Frank's Red Hot sauce, tossed into a green salad with a dressing I made myself from Greek yogurt and blue cheese. Yesterday was cooked wild sockeye salmon with baby greens, avocado, and mango with a mustard vinaigrette.

If you keep your protein to 4 oz., it is a very low calorie lunch, 225-350 calories (depending on the dressing).
  • msbeeblebrox
    msbeeblebrox Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Lately, I've just been having a protein shake. On weekend days, I tend to lean toward leftovers
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    I've never liked sandwiches, so I cook large batches on the weekend, portion out, and freeze. It's usually some kind of lean meat with veggies and a serving of fruit. They range in calories from 300-500 calories.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    I normally have veggies and a protein. I eat my protein packed breakfast a little late, so by the time lunch rolls around I'm not really hungry. I keep it light, and cook lots for supper. Today I'm having pepperoni sticks, radishes, and a fruit cup. I like leftovers too...
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    Hire a stripper
  • FeelinChastastic
    Options
    My lunch today consisted of:

1 - Reduced Sugar Wheat Bread Uncrustable
    Sliced Cucumbers and Baby Carrots - with a tablespoon of Bolthouse Farms Yogurt Ranch for dipping
    roughly 1-1 1/2 cups of sliced fresh strawberries and blackberries
    and 7 Fat Free Sour Cream Pringles
    for a grand total of 337 calories

Sometimes I make salad. Sometimes I eat the above. Sometimes I eat lean cuisines (which I actually like). Other times I'll have a tuna packet with a few pita crackers instead of the uncrustable. And on cold days, I'll have heart healthy soup and a half a pb sandwich.
    But I always incorporate fruits and veggies into my lunch regardless.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I'm usually hungry pretty early at lunch and make it a bit bigger (400-500 calories, but I often have 'dessert' or something with it), and I have a lot of different things. My diary is open, but some ideas...

Chicken and veggies/noodles
    Chicken quesadillas
    Protein pancakes (yeah I've gone there)
    Omelet
    Crepes (typically, ham cheese and egg)
    Shrimp fried rice
    Soup
    Sandwiches
    Whatever leftovers
    Salads
  • wyattj99
    wyattj99 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Yes I eat process frozen meals....there I said it! Regardless look at my diary I still eat other foods through out the day but Lean Cuisine and Healthy Choice are my lunches.
  • PamazonDreams
    PamazonDreams Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Hire a stripper

:bigsmile:
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    My lunches are generally in the 300-350 calorie range. I bring leftovers most days so it's always different. I eat somewhere between 2:00 - 3:00, but have a snack before if I get hungry.
  • JustLoseItLisa
    JustLoseItLisa Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    thank you everyone for all of the awesome suggestions!!

I appreciate it!!

Now how am I going to decide what to have for lunch? ;)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I'm another who usually tries to bring leftover dinner or sometimes (like this morning) I make extra when I make breakfast and bring that. (Today's lunch being a half a giant frittata.) If I don't do that, I have a salad with meat or buy from a few standby places that have decently healthy sandwich/wrap/soup type food or, if really in a hurry that day, just go with a couple of hard-boiled eggs or smoked salmon with some carrots/celery and nuts (I always have some kind of nuts on hand and am trying to remember to keep that kind of easy cold stuff in the refrigerator at work. I also like to have fruit or yogurt on hand in case I need more calories.) I prefer bigger meals to snacks, so am more likely to incorporate snack stuff into the meal.

The calories are usually 350-550 depending on what's planned for the rest of the day.