Dieting on a Budget? Help! :c

Options
I'm a 22 year old female, 135 pounds. I'm not looking to lose a ton of weight, but I do also cook for my boyfriend who has a decent chunk (40+ pounds) to lose, and a HUGE appetite. So I'm trying to find the best foods to help both of us.

I see so many articles on different foods that "fit any budget" but I'm not looking to buy ramen noodles all week. Also, working 60 hours, I don't have a whole lot of time to cook-- so simple, filling meals are a huge bonus! My question, what are some cheap, lasting HEALTHY foods to buy (preferably multifaceted). Romaine and kale are both huge staples in our household due to the fact that they're cheap, low on calories, and pretty filling. Also black beans (though we buy them in the cans, which is probably not the healthiest option)

What other foods would you recommend? Got any good, healthy recipes that won't break the bank?

Thank you! :)

Replies

• kandell
    kandell Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Buying frozen chicken and fish may be a good idea. It lasts a long time in the freezer and you can just pull out however much you'll need in the morning, let it defrost in the fridge while you're at work, and then cook it up when you get home. And there are so many options for chicken that you can have it a different way for a whole month without repeating.
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options
    Skinnytaste has a lot of budget recipes, check out her site.

Rigger
  • silverlining84
    silverlining84 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I make big batches of Buffalo chicken which can be used a variety of ways. Serve with whole grain rice, quinoa, black beans, make lettuce wraps with it etc.

I buy my chicken in bulk and frozen from Costco..

Buffalo chicken recipe:

4 chicken breasts
    2 cups chicken broth
    1 clove minced garlic
    1/2 cup franks red hot sauce

Place chicken in crockpot and add broth & garlic. Cook until you can shred the chicken with a fork. Remove the chicken broth but keep 1/2 a cup. Add the red hot sauce and cook for another 30 mins. Voila!
  • ashahardt
    ashahardt Posts: 10
    Options
    If you can, find a discount supermarket. Here in Ontario we have Freshco, you can buy cheap meat, fish and chicken. And the veggies are a decent price to.

My best friend is Costco! Helps that I work there. They have good prices for produce and you get more for your buck usually and it'sgood quality. They also have bagged ffrozen chicken breast individually wrapped in 2 kg bags. As well as chicken breast filles. They run you about $29.99 here, but they last me and my boyfriend a week, having it twice a day. Things also go on sale every week which helps, even fresh chicken. Try and buy what you need for a week so your not wasting too much if it starts going bad.

meal prep is key, so prep on your day off and put it in containers for the both of you so you can grab and go. No reason to eat more or make more than you expected.

If costco isn't in your area, then I suggest looking for a wholesale store near you. They usually have an annual fee to shop there but the amount you save is worth it.

As we get into warmer weather check out local fresh markets too. Fresh from the farmers, and usually the best deals.

Stay away from anything processed too as this ends up eating your pocket and causing weight gain and cravings ( you end up eating more).

Hope this helps.

*I'm on a budget to, but now 17 lbs down!
  • NekoneMeowMixx
    NekoneMeowMixx Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Thanks! We do have a Sam's Club (which is essentially the same thing) and I do like shopping there, but I'm always afraid to with produce because it seems like it goes bad before we have a chance to use it. But I wish definitely check into their sales, and that Skinnytaste website that was mentioned earlier! :)
  • wyattj99
    wyattj99 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Take one day to get your food prepared and then during the week it's easy to grab and cook or crock pot meals are good too.
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of frozen broccoli because it's cheap, nutritious, doesn't spoil as long as I keep the freezer plugged in, and I like it.

I don't eat a lot of red meat because it's really expensive, but I eat a lot of chicken leg quarters because the groceries around here have sales. Yeah, they're fattier, but you can drain off some fat and balance it with a low-fat side (like broccoli!) and it's fine.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    Buying frozen chicken and fish may be a good idea. It lasts a long time in the freezer and you can just pull out however much you'll need in the morning, let it defrost in the fridge while you're at work, and then cook it up when you get home. And there are so many options for chicken that you can have it a different way for a whole month without repeating.
    This! As well as canned tuna, and frozen shrimp

Rice is a super cheap great carb, as well as any type of veggies you can get in season!
  • mmsilvia
    mmsilvia Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I purchase my in season fruit and veggies are local farm stands. I find them cheaper and fresher. Purchase meat on sale, portion out and freeze. As far as cooking goes...I use my crockpot a couple of times a week to make easy and health meals. Hot and ready when I get home from work. Sometimes on weekends I make up batches of soup or pasta based dishes that can be reheated and eaten durning the week.
  • writergeek313
    writergeek313 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Budget Bytes is an amazing blog that can help you eat well on a budget. This is where she offers some general strategies, but I highly recommend the recipes, too: http://www.budgetbytes.com/2010/01/budget-byting-principles/

I've probably made eight or ten recipes from her site so far and have liked all but one of them. The one budget-friendly thing I disagree with her on is buying boxed stock vs. Better Than Bouillon. The jarred chicken base was that salty that I thought it ruined the recipe. I still buy store brand fat free reduced sodium stock.
  • NekoneMeowMixx
    NekoneMeowMixx Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    OooOoh my gosh, I am loving Budget Bytes! I checked out Skinnytaste the other day and absolutely fell in love. Plus they both use the same virtual recipe box/shopping list planner, so it makes things that much easier!

Thanks for all the help, everyone! I've definitely got a grocery list growing! ^_^
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Dried beans and brown rice. So many things you can make starting with these. Mexican food, cajun food, soups, stews, salads, etc.

Frozen vegetables are just as nutritious as fresh, sometimes more so. If you are cooking vegetables anyway, using frozen is very economincal.

Same for frozen fruit. Much cheaper then fresh and great in recipes or smoothies.