Too hell & back. My battle with an eating disorder.

Options
DJ7203
DJ7203 Posts: 497 Member
Well, in the beginning I was that lazy girl who sat on the couch & laid in front of the TV & just ate anything & everything she wanted. I put no limit on myself whatsoever, I ate what I wanted when I wanted & lots of it. I was never active, I would go to the gym with my Husband for a week & then lose interest or I would go to a fitness class & give up half way through because I thought it was too hard. Fitness & being healthy is just not something I cared about. I'm 5'4 & I think at my heaviest I was around 155 which isn't really overweight, but when I look back at pics of myself it wasn't a good look for me.

Then let's fast forward a few years. My marriage was going through a really rough patch, then my Mother passed away & my Grandfather a few months after. I was sad, depressed & had horrible anxiety. I lost my appetite & would go days without eating, some days I would survive on coffee & a piece of candy. So naturally I started losing a lot of weight very quickly. People starting complimenting me & I really started to like how I looked. So to lose even more weight I started doing lots of cardio, hours a day sometimes. At first I looked great, everyone was asking me what my secret was. My secret was that my life was in turmoil & the only thing I could control was my weight so I became obsessed with it. I would weigh myself several times a day. As disgusting as it is I even started taking laxatives daily to speed up my weight loss even more. Now I was getting too thin & the compliments were soon replaced with "Are you ok?" "Are you sick?" "You are too skinny!" Then my body started breaking down as well. I stopped getting my menstrual cycle, I was freezing cold all the time even in 90 degree Florida weather. I had no energy & I would go put my head down on the desk at work & pass out. My friends & family were so worried about me, but I swore I was ok. I think at my lowest weight I was 105. I look back at pictures of myself & I don't even know who that person is. I had loose skin & my face was so sunken in that it made my eyes, lips & nose look huge. I was in trouble.

My friends had an intervention with me & told me how worried they were. They told me not only had my weight changed, but my whole attitude was horrible & I was miserable to be around. They didn't know who I was anymore. Around that same time my Husband & I started to work things out & I had mourned the loss of my loved ones for several months & it was becoming easier to deal with the fact that they weren't here with me anymore. So I started to eat again & slowly I put back on weight. I learned about clean eating. And instead of doing hours of cardio a day, I started lifting heavy weights. At first it was really hard because I was just skin & bones. All my muscle was gone & areas where I used to hold a lot of weight like my butt & thighs literally just felt like a soft marshmallow. I had a lot of work to do to get myself back into a healthy strong state. But month after month I saw improvement & I got better & better.

These days I try to eat clean most of the time, I treat myself often too don't worry! I love to lift weights, the heavier the better! My body has gone through several transformations over the past 2-3 years & it's been a roller coaster physically & emotionally. But I made it through. I actually ate a little too good & I'm a bit heavier than I would like to be right now. But, I'm working on shedding fat & gaining more muscle. I'm about 133, I'd like to stay around 120. But I know when you lose fat & gain muscle you can't always count on a scale to measure progress. So I'll just say I'm working on leaning out & lowering my body fat.

That's my story, I hope that if anyone has been where I have that it helped in some way. You can get through it & overcome anything :smile:

Replies

• Samby_v1
    Samby_v1 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! I'm glad you've found yourself again. I've unwillingly been on the grief diet myself and I think a lot of people will identify with you about that. Thanks for sharing your journey and long may you continue to be the best you can be! :flowerforyou:
  • DJ7203
    Options
    Thank you so much :smile:
  • DJ7203
    Options
    PS I love meeting other people who have healthy fit goals, so I'm open to any & all friend requests :happy:
  • janinehema90
    janinehema90 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I have a reaaallly similar story. Cardio is nice, but I think weights are the way to go, it makes you sexayyy. Way too much cardio and food restriction alone made me look like a bag of bones and fat!
  • ninav1980
    ninav1980 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    thanks for sharing

I will add you!
    Always looking for active friends
  • aribugg
    aribugg Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Hi there! i beat an eating disorder a few years back, i broke my body down so much i started have hypoglycemic seizures. once we figured out the problem, i was so scared to do any activity and just sat around and ate for my life all day lol. throw in some stress, and you go from 135 to 210 in a few years. just know you arent alone, there is a right way to do this, and we can do it too:]
  • nikkihk
    nikkihk Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    So much love for you, from one survivor to another. :heart:
  • RozayJones
    RozayJones Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    It takes a lot for someone to open up and be 100% honest - I applaud you :flowerforyou:
  • Kelly_Runs_NC
    Kelly_Runs_NC Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    It takes a lot of guts to write what you did. Kudos to you for that. I know how horrible it is to have to keep that secret. Congrats on getting healthy too.

All the best girl.
  • VanessaRudden
    VanessaRudden Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Well Done -Hang in there - Your doing Great!
  • DJ7203
    Options
    I have a reaaallly similar story. Cardio is nice, but I think weights are the way to go, it makes you sexayyy. Way too much cardio and food restriction alone made me look like a bag of bones and fat!

I know! I even started walking all hunched over like a little old lady. How awful it can be. Glad you started picking up weights too :smile:
  • DJ7203
    Options
    Well Done -Hang in there - Your doing Great!

Thank you so much!
  • DJ7203
    Options
    It takes a lot of guts to write what you did. Kudos to you for that. I know how horrible it is to have to keep that secret. Congrats on getting healthy too.

All the best girl.

Thank you so much :smile:
  • DJ7203
    Options
    It takes a lot for someone to open up and be 100% honest - I applaud you :flowerforyou:

Thanks, it feels good to talk about it. To know that it's in my past, not my present or future.
  • DJ7203
    Options
    So much love for you, from one survivor to another. :heart:

Same here :flowerforyou:
  • DJ7203
    Options
    Hi there! i beat an eating disorder a few years back, i broke my body down so much i started have hypoglycemic seizures. once we figured out the problem, i was so scared to do any activity and just sat around and ate for my life all day lol. throw in some stress, and you go from 135 to 210 in a few years. just know you arent alone, there is a right way to do this, and we can do it too:]

Wow, that must have been awful! I think people who have had an eating disorder will always struggle to find that right balance. But, we can do this!
  • DJ7203
    Options
    thanks for sharing

I will add you!
    Always looking for active friends

Thank you!