Where is the weight coming from?!?!

Options
So the scale says that I've lost 13-14 pounds in the past month. The problem? Nothing else has changed! I don't look any different and my clothes still fit exactly the same. My jeans aren't even a little bit looser! I've lost maybe an inch from my waist, but that is the only non-scale change I've seen. So I'm left wondering, where is this weight I'm supposedly loosing coming from? Is my scale just broken, or is this actually possible?

Replies

• melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    It is possible. I gain (and therefore lose) mostly in my hips, butt and stomach, so it is pretty noticeable. My mother in law tends to gain and lose very evenly all over, from her wrists to her stomach to her ankles...she can much more easily hide weight gain/loss than I can due to it being spread so evenly and not concentrated in one area of her body.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    So the scale says that I've lost 13-14 pounds in the past month. The problem? Nothing else has changed! I don't look any different and my clothes still fit exactly the same. My jeans aren't even a little bit looser! I've lost maybe an inch from my waist, but that is the only non-scale change I've seen. So I'm left wondering, where is this weight I'm supposedly loosing coming from? Is my scale just broken, or is this actually possible?

Depends on how much you have to lose. If you are very overweight then 13-14 pounds might make little difference in your appearance. If you are not overweight and you lose 13 pounds it will make a big visual difference.

How many places have you measured? Thighs can be a source of weightloss where you might not notice for example, especially for women.
  • hawthornerose
    Options
    How many places have you measured? Thighs can be a source of weightloss where you might not notice for example, especially for women.

I wish it had come from my thighs! That's where most of my weight gain is sitting. My thighs and hips haven't changes at all. I have about 40 lbs to loose so it seems like 13 lbs should show at least some difference?
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

I wish it had come from my thighs! That's where most of my weight gain is sitting. My thighs and hips haven't changes at all. I have about 40 lbs to loose so it seems like 13 lbs should show at least some difference?

If you only have 40 to lose and your scale shows 13 lb lost with no noticable difference, I'd replace the batteries in the scale. That really doesn't seem very likely.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Honestly I wouldn't worry about it. I can see why that might be frustrating but honestly if you are losing weight then you are losing weight and eventually that has to affect your appearance. I'd just stick with it.
  • sweetpea03b
    sweetpea03b Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    It takes a long time for me to see a noticeable difference in measurements, etc. as well... so don't worry! I will say that I didn't really see much of a difference in my body composition until I really started lifting... so if you're mostly concentrating on cardio that might be a consideration.
  • pennyllayne
    pennyllayne Posts: 265
    Options
    The only real explanation is that most of that must be water weight or muscle - or that your scale is broken. I have only lost 5lbs but I have lost half to one inch from my waist, belly, hips, bum and thighs. You can't lose 13lbs of fat and not have any inch loss, unless you're losing it from somewhere that you're not measuring.
  • kitlynnJ
    kitlynnJ Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Good job on your weight loss! And an inch around your waist is great!

It is possible. The first place I lost weight was my hands. I noticed my ring was looser. I also get this really strange flat spot along the side of my hip which doesn't show up when I take measurements because it is between my waist and hip measuring spots.

You could be losing it from strange areas you wouldn't measure, or you could be losing it from all over which wouldn't show up on your measuring tape yet.
  • sarahfh12
    Options
    I spent my whole childhood being the overweight kid, being picked on in school, and even having my parents call me fat. I tried everything from barely eating to eating right and exercising every single day. Nothing seemed to be working, I wasnt losing the weight. I got out of high school and thought maybe it would get better, maybe now i can finally work at it harder and lose the weight. But I was wrong. Even into my adult life i was still overweight and i felt like i was back in high school all over again. People were truly horrible to me because i couldnt lose weight. I looked in the mirror each day and was disgusted with myself. I hated myself for not being able to do anything about the way i looked. One day i was out with an old friend i hadnt seen in a while and she suggested http://easy-fat-loss-factor.com. I was skeptical at first as i thought it was another scam. I didnt believe it would actually work since nothing else has. I decide what the heck ive tried everything else. I got my copy and im so happy i did. I was like a zombie i read it over and over and over again. I learned so much that i didnt even think was important to losing weight. It’s comprehensive, detailed and customizable, with meal planning, specific weight loss strategies, different levels of workout routines and many varied weight loss recipes. The program doesn’t waste time with ineffective exercises and highlights high intensity interval training, the most effective kind of exercise for losing weight. I lost 85 lbs and im so happy with myself. I can finally look in the mirror and like what i see. When im out with my friends i get men asking me out for a change. I would recommnend this to everyone who is struggling to lose weight. It worked for me and i know itll work for you too. Good luck on your journey just remember to never give up even when you think nothing will work.