Hokos or Brooks? Running shoe input requested!

Options
I just got back from the running store to be fitted for a good pair of shoes. I ended up being torn between a medium cushion Brooks Shoes or the Hokos high cushion shoe (walked out of the store thinking Brooks, but on the drive home started waffling).

I pronate in like crazy and have flat feet, so am planning on purchasing a pair of supports to go in, but really am torn on the shoes. The Hokos are so built up I felt like I was wearing platforms, and I think because of rolling in so much I am a little afraid I would fall off of them when running and hurt my ankles, but I know I heel strike hard, so the high cushion level is appealing to me. The Brooks felt good and seemed to be very supportive.

Any opinions on either brand? I'll be picking them up tonight (hopefully) or tomorrow, but am feeling torn between the two - I can see the advantages of both, but the height of the Hokos has me a little worried!

Replies

• ecottencat
    ecottencat Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Ask them if you can take them for a short test run outside of the store. That's what one of the stores near me lets you do. I have honestly no loyalty to a brand since new shoe models seem to come out all the time. I just take them on a test run.
  • NewMnky1
    NewMnky1 Posts: 264
    Options
    It all really depneds on you. I wear Brooks Adrenaline 13. I tried a "newer" model of Brooks and hated them, so I stick with what works for me.
  • RoyalMoose11
    RoyalMoose11 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I ran on a treadmill with a few pairs and I ended up with the brooks adrenaline gts 13 because I needed the stability (like the 3 others also provided) but the firmer shoe (of the ones I tried on) felt more supportive because they were firm. The more cushioned shoe felt less supportive because of the cushioning. I think now that I'm at my goal weight I will try testing them out again since I may not need as much support as I did 50 pounds ago.

Point is- try them on and run in them because that's the way to tell. What I need is different than you.
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options
    I'm in love with my Hoka's, between my wife and I we have four pair. FWIW I run trails primarily.

Rigger
  • nsimon24
    nsimon24 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I tried both pairs on and did a few rounds around the shop, I could really tell the difference in the cushioning with the heel. I think the main thing that is concerning me is simply the height of the Hokas (I misspelled it as Hokos). I agree with you that the stability felt different based on firmness, and since I have crappy joints from the waist down both are important (hence the supports). I started getting shin splints last night with my old pair of shoes, so was not comfortable running in the store today.

I'm reading the reviews online and think I may give the Hokas another try-on in the store before deciding, but it would be helpful to hear from someone who has experience with them.
  • nsimon24
    Options
    Thanks Rigger! Our posts crossed :) So stability is not an issue with the increased height from the cushioning?
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    whats the approximate cost on these shoes?
  • nsimon24
    Options
    I think the Hokas were $160 before she knocked 10% of (new customer) - the Brooks were $120 b4 - both cheaper than a knee replacement!

I should also add that where I run is either an asphalt bike trail or concrete sidewalk - the drivers around here seem to see people on the side of the road as easy targets.
  • Platform_Heels
    Platform_Heels Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    It all really depneds on you. I wear Brooks Adrenaline 13. I tried a "newer" model of Brooks and hated them, so I stick with what works for me.

I wear the same and I absolutely HATE it when a brand "upgrades" the model and it is NOT the same as what you had.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I prefer something firmer for running...I've had running shoes with quite a bit of cushioning and they felt great just walking around, but I didn't actually enjoy running in them so much (of course I didn't fully realize this until I went to a firmer shoe). I have also found that I get more mileage out of a firmer shoe.

Ultimately, this is one of those trial and error...personal preference kind of things.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    I think the Hokas were $160 before she knocked 10% of (new customer) - the Brooks were $120 b4 - both cheaper than a knee replacement!

I should also add that where I run is either an asphalt bike trail or concrete sidewalk - the drivers around here seem to see people on the side of the road as easy targets.

certainly not crazy for athletic footwear. i'm loving last years models of reeboks for < $50 bucks and free shipping at 6pm.com

but i'm not a distance runner.
  • phuckingbadasscutie
    phuckingbadasscutie Posts: 1,619 Member
    Options
    I wear Vibrams and I love them.
  • kalyrichmond
    kalyrichmond Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I have had Vibrams, Innovates, Asics, and numerous others but, Hokas are the best...LOVE mine :happy: