I need Low calorie Christmas Dinner side dish recipes

Options
Hello Everyone,

This year I've decided to make christmas dinner Low calorie so I can enjoy the holiday feasting too! My family is down for what ever i make, so I was wondering if ya'll would Please share your favorite EASY holiday low calorie side dish recipes, or share original sides with substitutes that would be a better choice!

Thank you bunches:)

Replies

• shastacrystal
    Options
    Serves 4: Cal 230. Protein 9, Carb 4, Fat 17, Sat 6, Cholesterol 20, Sodium 233, Fiber 3

I used the little square pyrex but you can double the recipe and then use a full size pyrex;)

Cook at 350 for 1 hour.

1lb of tomatoes (slice them)
    course salt
    3 tbs of Olive Oil
    2 cloves of minced garlic
    1 zucchini (cut into about 1/4inch sticks/slices)
    1 yellow summer squash (cut into about 1/4inch sticks/slices)
    1 sm yellow onion (thin slices)
    fresh grd pepper to liking
    1 tsp chopped thyme
    1/2 cup of sharp cheddar (2oz roughly) (If you like spicy you can try with pepperjack or cheese of your choice)
    1/4 cup of grated parmasean
  • shastacrystal
    Options
    For dessert stuff you can always subsitute apple sauce instead of butter;)
  • HidyleDidyle
    Options
    Cubed sweet potato, chopped onion, chopped apple(s), little bit of brown sugar, and little bit of margarine, little bit of water. Bake (either oven or microwave). Delicious and easy. You can either leave it all cubed after it is cooked, or mash it all together.

I bet it would even worked roasted in the oven uncovered.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    Mashed cauliflower is always a great substitution for Mashed potatoes. Little garlic powder, little fat free sour cream, little parmigiana cheese, delicious!
  • seemichellerun
    Options
    Nothing wrong with good old fashion steamed green beans! =P

Also, I like to peel and chop up sweet potatoes, toss them in some extra virgin olive oil with some house seasoning or salt and pepper, and them bake them at 350 for about 20-25min. I've gotten my 3 year old to LOVE sweet potatoes by making them this way.
  • modernfemme
    modernfemme Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Everyone loves succotash.
  • Jozie236
    Jozie236 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Baked Spaghetti Squash (think baked ziti/lasagna substitute).

1. Boil a large spaghetti squash on the stove for about 45 minutes each. Open it, remove seeds (discard), and take out the stringy part of the squash (keep).

2. Coat a baking dish with olive oil.

3. Saute Onions, Garlic (peppers to taste) in a saucepan, add marinara or homemade Sauce, add reduced fat Ricotta cheese, add Hard Cheeses.

4. Place squash in baking pan, add sauce mixture over squash (make sure all squash is covered. layer if you must. do not massacre the squash by mixing it too roughly).

5. Top dish with mozzarella cheese.

6. Bake till cheese is bubbly.

7. Let sit for about twenty minutes.

Serve! (This recipe is easily modified for taste (add peppers, spices, herbs, as much or as little cheese as you want. Your family will not even miss a pasta dish this year. Just keep in mind squash is lighter than pasta, so plan your serving sizes accordingly).
  • mommyjos
    mommyjos Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    yum!!!!
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    BUMP! Keep 'em coming! I have 25 people to feed on Christmas Day...so far we're having turkey, ham, roasted potatoes with carrots, mushrooms and garlic, steamed broccoli and cauliflower, raw veggies, gravy, and what else???Desert is not up to me so I don't care.
  • live2dream
    live2dream Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    Cranberry Spinach Salad

Baby Spinach
    Dried Cranberries
    Slivered Almonds
    Poppyseed Dressing (low-cal)

It's awesome and SO EASY! And healthy- everyone needs their raw greens! You can substitute with pecans or walnuts. And make the dressing from scratch if you want...look up Cranberry Spinach Salad recipe on allrecipes.com for full info.
  • hviola
    hviola Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Cauliflower/Broccoli Salad

Cut up one head cauli, and one head broccoli into bite size peices. (Crowns only.)
    Mix together greek plain yogurt, apple cider vinegar, and a little sugar to taste. I do this to taste. I use maybe 2 cups yogurt. You want the sauce a little sweet.
    Add chopped red onion, and a little chopped precooked bacon.

I make this for all the family get-togethers and its always gone.