Don't talk yourself out of it!

Options
I didn't want to work out last night. I was tired and I didn't feel well...I just wanted to flop on the couch and watch Game of Thrones.

I knew that I "should" put on my tennis shoes and get on that treadmill but that internal lazy voice kept giving me reasons not to get up.

"You've still got a cold."
"Man, those allergies are really kicking your butt today, aren't they?"
"You only got 2.5 hours of sleep last night...you're tired. Take the night off."

Finally I shut that voice up. I wasn't going to talk myself out of another workout when I was perfectly able to do it! If I don't do it now it'll be that much easier to give up tomorrow and the next day.

So I laced up the running shoes, programmed the treadmill and got that sweat going! Felt great afterward!

Moral of the story: don't talk yourself out of doing what you know is best. There are a million excuses out there why you shouldn't run that mile, lift those weights or swim those laps. Think of the reasons why you should. You'll feel better, look better, get healthier and more confident, you'll plant the seed of motivation for the next work out.

In the immortal words of Nike: "Just do it!"

Replies

• Frank_Just_Frank
    Frank_Just_Frank Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    LOL! You wouldn't believe how many times I'd have to tell myself "I want to go, I want to go , I want to go" before I finally got addicted to physical activities.
  • Kadoober
    Kadoober Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I'm feeling really conflicted here.

Part of me wants to give you a big high five and a WAY TO GO!!!

The other part... really?

One never passes up Game of Thrones!

IT IS KNOWN.

:)

But truly, way to go! ^5!
  • impromark
    impromark Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I watch a lot of TV - including Game of Thrones - while on my treadmill and plugged into a good pair of headphones. Assuming you are okay with the investment, problem solved. :)

Mark
  • richardositosanchez
    richardositosanchez Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I had that problem for a long time but I found ways around it. Now I pack my gym bag and bring it with me in the car to work, so that I go straight to the gym right after work and get it done. It's worked well for me.
  • damorzacon
    damorzacon Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Lol...I'm that way with any kind of cardio. I really don't like it but I'll do. I look forward to lifting but if I could spend 8 hours on the Jiu Jitsu mats I would.

Kadoober - oh, GoT got watched! It was one of my carrots to get through the workout! Lol

Thank you! ^5
  • PennyLane379
    PennyLane379 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Great motivation! I can completely relate. I actually talked myself out of one last night... but seeing that you did your workout despite only having 2.5 hours of sleep AND having your allergies giving you problems shows me that I need to stop whining and coming up with excuses. Cheers!
  • damorzacon
    Options
    I watch a lot of TV - including Game of Thrones - while on my treadmill and plugged into a good pair of headphones. Assuming you are okay with the investment, problem solved. :)

Mark

I watch shows the wife doesn't like while I workout. I do need to get headphones so I can hear more than 1/2 the dialogue.
  • damorzacon
    Options
    I had that problem for a long time but I found ways around it. Now I pack my gym bag and bring it with me in the car to work, so that I go straight to the gym right after work and get it done. It's worked well for me.

I've started something similar when I get home. I'll go ahead and put on my workout clothes right when I get home so that once the kids are in bed all I have to do is put on my shoes. Seems to be working well.
  • Dorothyslancaster
    Dorothyslancaster Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    YAY!! good for you!!!
  • damorzacon
    Options
    Great motivation! I can completely relate. I actually talked myself out of one last night... but seeing that you did your workout despite only having 2.5 hours of sleep AND having your allergies giving you problems shows me that I need to stop whining and coming up with excuses. Cheers!

You got this! :-)

And trust me, there's a reason I got excited about what I did last night. I'll normally find any excuse not to and justify my reasoning. But no more!
  • damorzacon
    Options
    Dorothy - Thank you!
  • headofphat
    headofphat Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    I'm kind of the opposite. When I don't feel like it I tell myself that I will feel better when I start working out. Now, when I first started there was an inner struggle between my fat self and the future fit guy, luckily this time fit guy won. Fat self was batting a thousand for many years.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Great post!

I often struggle with the same problem. I usually enjoy working out once I get started. I don't know why I often have so much trouble getting started. But I too use the Nike slogan for motivation (though usually with expletive added).
  • toronto_j
    toronto_j Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    You'll never regret the workouts you did, only the ones you didn't do!