When will I "see" the change???

Options
I have lost 18 pounds in 2 months. I feel a change in my clothes and I see it on the scale but I don't see the change in my body yet. It's getting kind of discouraging. :(

Replies

• JodiS75
    JodiS75 Posts: 284
    Options
    You should post some pictures! Everyone here can see change much easier than you can :wink:
  • deborahkidd
    deborahkidd Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Its like magic, it will happen!! Do not get discouraged. It took me about 3 months then the weight started falling off and the inches.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Weight loss happens so slow that it is difficult to see yourself, as you see yourself everyday, and change does not happen overnight. A picture is worth a thousand words. If you did before, during and after photo's you will probably notice a difference every 5 to 15 pounds, depending on where you lose from and how much you have to lose.
  • m3isme
    Options
    Did you do a "before" picture? Are you looking at yourself naked (instead of with clothes on)? - Do you have a positive self image? - It's hard to believe that you've lost 18 lbs and your clothes are fitting looser but you can't SEE it....!!! Give yourself some credit for making an amazing amount of progress in just 2 months...it takes most people much longer to lose that amount of weight and see changes in clothing...

Could it be that you haven't lost in your most difficult place? For me it's my abs...I've lost 12 lbs and my clothes fit looser but I still have the gut I'm having to work extra hard to effect...but I definately have made progress.

Cut yourself some slack and stick with it!!!

Congratulations!
  • catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    Look at a photo of you just before you started and take another in same position. I think you may see a difference then. When i had lost 17lbs I could feel the difference in my clothes and I thought I could see a difference in my belly...I wasnt having to lean so far forward to see the reading on the scales lol but it was only slight at that point, 21lbs is when I first REALLY saw a difference
  • ReadyMom
    Options
    I'm down 33 lbs and the only place I can really tell is in my arms? Still wearing all the same pants, yes they are more loose but not enough to go down a size yet???? Weird!
  • Townsend143
    Townsend143 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, I try to hide from the camera as much as possible! So I didn't start out with any before, during or after pics. My goal is to lose 70 pounds so maybe when I get closer to that, I will get in front of the camera! LOL! Thanks for the inspiring comments though! :)
  • ickybella
    ickybella Posts: 1,438 Member
    Options
    It's easy to miss the changes, because, as another poster said, they do happen very slowly. I was getting bummed for a while because I hadn't dropped a clothing size, but I had lost 80 pounds. I happened to come across a picture of myself from last halloween, though, and the difference was huge! Then I found a picture of myself two New Year's Eves ago, and that was an even bigger difference. Until I saw those, I didn't think I looked much different from when I started. You need pictures. If you haven't taken any, take one now.
  • monoxidechick
    Options
    I feel the same way. I am at a 17 lb loss today and I dont see a difference. The scale says so but my clothes and mirror dont seem to show anything.
    I hope that everyone is right and it will show up soon!!
  • chrissym78
    chrissym78 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    I've lost over 50 lbs and I still see the same thing in the mirror. Everyone else sees it, I see the different size on the tags of my clothes, still I see flab in the mirror. I'm trying to tone it up in hopes that what "I" see changes. Hang in there :)
  • Scorpiomom222
    Scorpiomom222 Posts: 1,462 Member
    Options
    I agree! Put up pics! You'll probably see a bigger difference. I don't see much difference when I just look in the mirror, but I see big change in pictures.
  • Valtishia
    Valtishia Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Girl.. I lost over 50 lbs and felt the same way you do. It just happens so slow that you don't realize it cause you see yourself every day in the mirror and the change is so gradual. Thats when I decided to do my first before and after!! I was so shocked lol
    You should give that a try :)
  • andreahanlon
    andreahanlon Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Did you go down a size in clothes? If you're wearing the same clothes, sometimes it hides your good work. I lost 18 lbs since joining the site, and once I bought smaller clothes, it seems like EVERYONE has been commenting.
  • Samantharose8akaDebbie
    Options
    We are OUR biggest critics and for some reason, when we look in the mirror, it doesn't look as if anything has changed. You have lost a bit of weight and I bet if you did a side by side picture comparison you would see the difference:bigsmile:
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    Do you exercise?
  • Townsend143
    Options
    I actually exercise very little.... and that's probably the problem. My New Year's Resolution is to start up a good work-out regime and stick to it! I've been losing weight solely on my diet.
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I still don't and never have - didn't see the gain or the losses. I have to tell by clothing sizes. I'm down a total of 30lbs from 1 1/2 years ago, but it's been slow. Where I notice the change is in my physical abilities, my mental focus, and my inner strength. I simply put feel so much better in and out. I've not been sick in forever, I'm able to wake in the am and exercise without hitting the snooze button. I show no signed of the PCOS I had been diagnosed with. I went from size 12/14 to now a size 2 - and I have only had about 3 people ask if I'd lost weight. I get a lot of - did you cut your hair, you look younger, etc but never, wow you look thin.

You will just simply "know" more than see?
  • Townsend143
    Options
    Did you go down a size in clothes? If you're wearing the same clothes, sometimes it hides your good work. I lost 18 lbs since joining the site, and once I bought smaller clothes, it seems like EVERYONE has been commenting.

No, I haven't bought smaller sizes yet... My clothes are just fitting better than they did before but still aren't too big for me.
  • ashlee954
    ashlee954 Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    I'm down 33 lbs and the only place I can really tell is in my arms? Still wearing all the same pants, yes they are more loose but not enough to go down a size yet???? Weird!

I hear this a lot. The best advice/response I have read to this was how well did your clothes really fit before? Like, were your size 10s tight and now they are loose? You may not be going down a size but should have been wearing a 12 before so in all actuality you HAVE gone down a size. :)
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    I actually exercise very little.... and that's probably the problem. My New Year's Resolution is to start up a good work-out regime and stick to it! I've been losing weight solely on my diet.

That's a good idea. The more you work on getting leaner through excercise the smaller you will be. Your clothes will fit better. As we age and gain fat we change our body composition. We aren't as lean as we used to be. So, we have to work harder to get back to good.