Cheat days are limiting my weight loss - any tips?

Options
Over the last few months I have really improved my endurance and strength. I went from doing 30 minutes of light cardio to 60 of moderate most days and being able to run a 5k again, and I went from lifting anywhere from 20-40 pounds depending on the exercise to lifting 40-70. I'm pleased with how far I've come (I realize I'm not breaking any records - I'm just happy for me) and looking forward to getting even better. The trouble is, I haven't lost much if any weight, and I unfortunately know why. Of the last 74 days I have had 10 cheats. I'm not proud of the cheat days, and I'm well aware they are the reason I'm not losing weight, but I don't know how to stop them. Some days I just feel super worn out or stressed or harried or you-name-it, and I cave. Any tips to help stop myself from doing this? I'm so proud of the fitness progress I've made but it'd be nice if some of the weight would leave so I could see it better! Thanks so much!

Replies

• LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    Create a healthy relationship with food. Learn portion control.

Use healthy relationship with food to incorporate foods you like to "cheat" with in their proper portions so as to not put you in a caloric surplus.
  • MrsCZM138
    MrsCZM138 Posts: 116
    Options
    There's no reason to have cheat days. Food is not bad or good. Eat what you want just do it in moderation. This week has been horribly hectic for me so I've had something out almost every day for one meal. You can build the rest of your day around things you like to eat. Prelogging is very helpful for this- just think, "Ok, tomorrow I'll be working hard and I'll want a treat so I'm putting in 160 calories for ice cream when I get home." Then you remember ahead of time that that's built in and you're probably more likely during the day to not binge because you have something good waiting for you at home.
  • cdcooper321
    cdcooper321 Posts: 157 Member
    Options

Use health relationship with food to incorporate foods you like to "cheat" with in their proper portions so as to not put you in a caloric surplus.

^^^this
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    It comes down to willpower unfortunately. My only advice is to go for a walk if you feel like you want to eat something, or find something else to keep you busy.
  • BreannaHayes1
    BreannaHayes1 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Try not having cheat "days" have cheat "meals" I have them once a week (if I feel like it) and it usually just ice cream or a candy bar. I still exercise and eat all the same.
  • kmglennie
    kmglennie Posts: 40
    Options
    There's no reason to have cheat days. Food is not bad or good. Eat what you want just do it in moderation.

This! Planning is everything.
  • lemon629
    lemon629 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    The answer is in your post. You talk about being stressed, etc. You need to find ways to reduce stress and make sure your emotional needs are being met. Then you will have fewer cravings, and with less intensity.

Also figure out what the eating trigger is and break the link. When you feel that way, go do something-- go for a walk, call a friend, play the piano, or whatever you enjoy.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

Use health relationship with food to incorporate foods you like to "cheat" with in their proper portions so as to not put you in a caloric surplus.

damn-good-stuff.gif
  • Lieridder
    Lieridder Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    ^indeed.

Also keep in mind, you are gaining muscle, it's not that bad that you don't lose weight that fast anymore. Do you measure yourself? As long as your inches/cm go down, you're perfectly fine.
  • capsaicyn
    capsaicyn Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I'll try these things. BTW @cwolfman13 that pic is hysterical. =D
  • Mpgirl78
    Mpgirl78 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hey, I've been there... I'm what you would call an emotional eater... I don't think 10 cheat days out of 74 is the issue... I think the issue is beating yourself up in addition to already being stressed out, upset or whatever it is that you were feeling when you tried to comfort yourself with food... I allow myself 1-2 cheat days a week and that helps me stay on point the rest of the week...
  • capsaicyn
    capsaicyn Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I HAVE lost about an inch off my waist and hips, so I have made SOME progress. But my skinny jeans are still far from closing!
  • beautifulwarrior18
    beautifulwarrior18 Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    You need to turn your cheat day into a cheat meal. Instead of having one day to eat whatever the hell you want, eat what you have been craving in moderation. Ie. A slice of pizza, a 130 calorie pack or oreos, a small ice cream cone, etc.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    You want to get yourself to the point where just gorging yourself becomes actually unappealing to the point that you naturally don't want to do it. After all if you cannot get yourself to that point you will either have to "diet" forever or you will just put the weight back on.

Think about food as fuel for your body, both necessary and practical, rather than a treat. Try to convince yourself of this to the point that come your cheat day you just end up eating healthily anyways because why would you not. When you get to that point then congratulations you have changed your behaviors and lifestyle enough that your natural habits can now support a healthy weight.

How do you do that? Well, that's different for everyone and I wouldn't presume to say how you personally get there.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    You need to turn your cheat day into a cheat meal. Instead of having one day to eat whatever the hell you want, eat what you have been craving in moderation. Ie. A slice of pizza, a 130 calorie pack or oreos, a small ice cream cone, etc.

That's not even a cheat meal. That's just a treat, lol.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    What do you mean by "cheat day". I see that term on MFP a lot, but there are varying meanings. Do you mean a day you are way over on calories? A day you eat anything and everything in site? A day that you binge on foods you usually deny yourself?

If stress is a problem, you might want to find some stress management techniques. Yoga, meditation, a bubble bath, whatever helps you relax.

Also, keeping some pre-made foods that fit into your goals on hand might be a good idea for those days when you are particularly stressed or short on time. Having a favorite meal frozen that you can warm up while you de-stress in a bubble bath might just solve your problem.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Do you find room in your calories here & there for treats? Or have you tried to eliminate them? Finding a balance can be helpful. What is your reduced calorie daily goal? Approximately what would your maintenance calorie intake goal be? If you don't feel like you can incorporate the trigger foods into your daily routine then perhaps aim for 1 day a week or every 2 weeks to eat at maintenance range and on those days, have some controlled portions of those foods. Its not a cheat, its just eating regularly. If your goal is based on wanting to lose 2 pounds a week, that would be an extra ~1000 calories on days when you aimed for a maintenance range.
  • xmichaelyx
    xmichaelyx Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    I happily cheat Friday through Sunday, I just eat smaller amounts the other days to balance my calories.

Salads for lunch 4 days per week are a small price to pay for all that delicious beer on the weekends.
  • scraver2003
    scraver2003 Posts: 528 Member
    Options

^^^this
    +1

Of course - that is one of those things that is easier said than done. But having a healthy relationship with food is what I have been working hard on and it is seeming to be very important.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    Of the last 74 days I have had 10 cheats.

So what constitutes a cheat? 500 extra calories in a day? 1000 extra calories?

I'm asking because you can, if you're careful, "build in" a larger than average meal here or there. In particular if you look at your calorie goals as a weekly thing instead of a daily thing.