Need recruits for Depression/Sugar test!!

Options
Here's the deal. I am 42 and have battled depression and anxiety my entire life. While some of it can be attributed to my toxic parents growing up, I have discovered over the past year that my a lot of my mood issues were alleviated when I cut added sugars out of my diet.

I would like to get a group of people together who battle the same issues, and also eat a lot of sugar during their day. I believe that there is a HUGE correlation and that sugar is poisoning us. I'm not a student of anything, but I want to get some stats for myself as to how sugar affects us in our daily lives. I know the science is out there, but I think there are a lot of people who depend highly on anti-depressants (like myself) now instead of fixing their diets. It's incredible what it can do to your head.

If you are interested, I would like you to cut out ALL added sugar from your diet for 30 days and record your results here in a weekly (or even daily) update as to what you are feeling with regards to withdrawal symptoms, mood changes, and cravings. You should aim to eat no more than 30 added grams of sugar per day.

Friend me if you like so we can keep tabs on each other.

Thanks and good luck!

Replies

• NekoneMeowMixx
    NekoneMeowMixx Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Sounds interesting... I too struggle with anxiety, mild depression, and a mood disorder they've yet to put a label to. I've battled with it since I hit puberty, and it can be incredibly overwhelming some days. I have noticed that on days when I eat healthier, I do feel reasonably better. My boyfriend's also a bigger guy and he's always complaining about how he needs more sugar, but I notice the more junky sugary stuff he eats, the more wound up he gets. An interesting concept though...

Pardon my ignorance, but what exactly do you mean by "added sugars" are you talking about processed foods that have an ungodly amount of peservatives and such, as opposed to say, an apple? Because I know apples are my go to snack during the day, but they're fairly high in sugars.

I'll give this a shot. Feel free to add me if you wish :)
  • whitlisd
    whitlisd Posts: 85
    Options
    Thanks for your willingness to try! I think you'll be amazed....

And yes, I mean "added"...Fruits are okay ,but try not to go overboard. Cut out pop, sweeteners, processed foods, and and fruit juices. You will get mad cravings for a few days, but then....wow. The cravings will stop, you will start to feel better, more peaceful, and once it is out of your system your tastes will start to change and the stuff that was sweet before will be TOO sweet. I just feel a responsibility to share with people what I have found and I am so happy to have you on board!!! All we can do is try!
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    exercise cured my anxiety attacks... exercise often alleviates a lot of psychological issues... perhaps your attributing your improvements to the wrong variable
  • jenn26point2
    jenn26point2 Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Here's the deal. I am 42 and have battled depression and anxiety my entire life. While some of it can be attributed to my toxic parents growing up, I have discovered over the past year that my a lot of my mood issues were alleviated when I cut added sugars out of my diet.

I would like to get a group of people together who battle the same issues, and also eat a lot of sugar during their day. I believe that there is a HUGE correlation and that sugar is poisoning us. I'm not a student of anything, but I want to get some stats for myself as to how sugar affects us in our daily lives. I know the science is out there, but I think there are a lot of people who depend highly on anti-depressants (like myself) now instead of fixing their diets. It's incredible what it can do to your head.

If you are interested, I would like you to cut out ALL added sugar from your diet for 30 days and record your results here in a weekly (or even daily) update as to what you are feeling with regards to withdrawal symptoms, mood changes, and cravings. You should aim to eat no more than 30 added grams of sugar per day.

Thanks and good luck!

I did this very thing 2 years ago. It helped immensely. I was able to get off 4 mental health medications within 4 months when I made dietary changes (I went Paleo) and have been stable since. If I start to eat too much sugar again, I notice a difference right away - within a couple of days.

During this the first year of my diet change, I quit running and lifting weights (I was a half marathoner) and simply walked 3x a week. I wanted to focus on the dietary changes and not try to do too much at once.

I think diet plays a HUGE role in our mental health status, and considering serotonin and norepinephrine are produced in the gut, it makes total sense that what we eat can control how we feel. Good luck with your study.
  • stacyjbaker1010
    stacyjbaker1010 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I'm intrigued and interested but not sure that I could commit, quite honestly. And think that signing up with a group will only add to my feelings of failure.

Clearly, I'm a trainwreck.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

Thanks and good luck!

Care to explain how added sugar is different from natural sugar, for example sucrose from an apple and sucrose from a packet?
  • kuolo
    kuolo Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I'd be really interested in hearing how this goes for people. I would join but I already eat almost zero added sugar and high GI food largely for mental health reasons. But please let me know the results!

Blood sugar stability can be really important if you have mh problems. Lots of evidence on it and use of things like chromium in depression too.

Good luck and keep me posted!
  • trijoe
    trijoe Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    I'm intrigued and interested but not sure that I could commit, quite honestly. And think that signing up with a group will only add to my feelings of failure.

I don't think you're a train wreck. I think you're a wife and mother of 4. Trainwreck? No. A person worthy of praise and reverence? Yes. Maybe you could try your best and see how that goes. You never know. You may do better than you think, if you give yourself a chance.

OP: Good luck with this. I won't be joining, but I hope this thread survives. (Without all the "Sugar is good" riffraff that have already started popping up.) I'll be following your results.
  • stacyjbaker1010
    stacyjbaker1010 Posts: 161 Member
    Options

I don't think you're a train wreck. I think you're a wife and mother of 4. Trainwreck? No. A person worthy of praise and reverence? Yes. Maybe you could try your best and see how that goes. You never know. You may do better than you think, if you give yourself a chance.

OP: Good luck with this. I won't be joining, but I hope this thread survives. (Without all the "Sugar is good" riffraff that have already started popping up.) I'll be following your results.

Thank you :) This made me smile.
  • whitlisd
    Options
    I think this test is for people who are ready for change. It's kind of like being addicted to cigarettes or alcohol. It's one thing to need it, but you won't do it until you are ready. I would say to anyone who is experiencing aggression, moodswings, depression, and anxiety...What have you got to lose???? Try it. The only way I consider anything a failure is if I don't try.

When I talk about added sugar, I'm talking about not naturally occurring sugar. I'm talking about the high fructose corn syrup, the sugar alcohols that are added to things. I'm not saying ALL sugar is bad, but lets face it, our society is now BASED on corporations who will do anything to make sure their food has crave-ability. They put sugar in EVERYTHING and I think we have to wake up to it now. Take a look at just how many people...and I'm talking about kids too...are on anti-depressants, ADD drugs, etc. What is wrong with this picture?

I know a lot of people on MFP already are very fit and healthy and watch their diets. I'm talking now to the people who suffer mentally and are not sure why. Start adding up your sugar grams for week and see where you are at!! I'm just trying to help others because it has changed my life.
  • whitlisd
    Options
    exercise cured my anxiety attacks... exercise often alleviates a lot of psychological issues... perhaps your attributing your improvements to the wrong variable

Absolutely exercise helps! This particular test I want to do is just based on sugar in the diet.
  • Kaylee_F93
    Options
    This would be great!
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    quite possibly has to do with your insulin sensitivity. You may process simple carbs faster than others, which can spike insulin, which can have a myriad of negative effects. It has nothing to do with added sugar (but you can argue it does all day long), it has to do with how you process carbs. You'd likely be a good candidate for a ketogenic diet.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Sugar is not a poison. However, if you are hypoglycemic, low blood sugar can mimic a panic attack. Just an FYI.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Interesting experiment. I'm skeptical about the cut out all element and the focus on added sugar alone, but I don't think it hurts to experiment with how changing one's diet affects such things.

I also have had issues with mood-swings and depression, and I definitely noticed that cutting down on sugar overall (and carbs), but not to the point of following a low carb diet or ketosis or anything, seemed to help a lot. But at the same time I increased exercise, which I can tell has a dramatic effect and also started trying to sleep better (which has been only somewhat successful, but still). In that I can go for days without added sugar (or even fruit, carrots, etc.), I'm sure I could do it without withdrawal of any sort, but I doubt doing that would make a difference at this point. Also, for what it's worth, I didn't experience any cravings or withdrawal type symptions when cutting down.

A couple of things I have noticed--I used to want sugar/simple carbs when tired, and now I don't have that mid-afternoon crashing/need to eat something feeling, which I think is related to trying to eat a more consistent amount of protein vs. more carb-heavy breakfasts and lunches, and I used to find fasting (like for religious stuff, not for dieting) absurdly difficult and definitely hard on my mood and patience. This Ash Wednesday it was really easy and I was in a good mood all day.
  • loves86
    loves86 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I would like to know this too, so will you be cutting out food groups that would generally help people with weightloss, such as fruits, etc?

I have cut down on my sugars, and that has helped me a lot. But I still have the occasional treats and sweetners. I dont think its necessary to cut it out, because added sugars and natural sugars when it comes down to it both sugars break down the same and. So that would essentially be cutting out way to many foods, and I wouldnt be able to succeed with being restricted from such and such foods...
  • forbiddendonut
    forbiddendonut Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I would be interested in trying this. I think I would be a good test subject. Mild depression, not on meds, addicted to sugar. I'm not sure I will get through those first few days, but I will give it a try! Cutting out sugar can only help. :)