Thinking of Lifting Weights

Options
Hey everyone! I just started my journey 3 weeks ago, and already feel amazing. I follow Jaime Eason's Live Fit program, and have a daily caloric intake goal of 1800. I am hoping to lose 100lbs by my 29th birthday in 2015. I wake up at 415 every morning and go to the gym, where I combine strength training and cardio daily, and on my "rest days" from strength training, I do cardio and abs. I want to push myself and am considering lifting. Any pointers for this newbie?!

Also, how do you customize your calories on your page?! Thanks for all of the tips!

Oh, and I have lost 6lbs since I began my journey :)

Replies

• JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    I'm confused. I thought Jamie Eason's program was a weight lifting program. Of do you mean you want to switch to pure barbell lifting?
  • damorzacon
    damorzacon Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    ^Sounds like she wants to train on the barbell.

I'm not a trainer but I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night. ;-) That being said, I'm a big fan of compound lifts (bench, squat, deadlift, ect) look into StrongLifts 5x5. It gives you a specific plan on where to start and what lifts you should be doing. Best of all, it's free!
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    If barbell training is what you want, definitely good a program revolving around the compound lifts. However, I wouldn't do something like Starting Strength or Strong Lifts on top of LiveFit. I'd definitely pick one or the other.

For the custom calories, go my goals, change goals, and click custom instead of guided.
  • StephVa22
    StephVa22 Posts: 28
    Options
    Yes, pure barbell! Sorry for the confusion! I'm getting bored with Jaime Eason, but will complete the program.
  • explosivedonut
    explosivedonut Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I would recommend Starting Strength. It's probably the best beginner barbell program out there.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    there is always room for dumbbells

recommend you keep your rest day a rest day. better for health and longevity
  • iRun_Butterfly
    iRun_Butterfly Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Check out strong lifts 5x5. I just started doing this about a month ago. Best decision I've ever made as far as my fitness goes, wish I had started months ago. There is a great group here on MFP geared for women, lots of helpful info to be found:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/4601-stronglifts-5x5-for-women
  • jdaley90
    jdaley90 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Check out New Rules of Lifting for Women
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    Check out New Rules of Lifting for Women

This...I'm doing New Rules, and I love it! Google as much as you can about each exercise, and don't forget YouTube! If I don't understand the difference between two exercises, I ask some people on my friend's list on here. I always get awesome advice. I also love Jamie Eason, she's super hot, and they have a lot of great programs on bodybuilding.com that will get you started. Best thing you can do is educate yourself and walk into the gym with a plan of action. Keep your rest days, maybe do some yoga or stretching exercises in case your muscle soreness gets to intense. Good Luck!
  • StephVa22
    StephVa22 Posts: 28
    Options
    Thank you everyone :)
  • SantaCruizer
    SantaCruizer Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Check out strong lifts 5x5. I just started doing this about a month ago. Best decision I've ever made as far as my fitness goes, wish I had started months ago. There is a great group here on MFP geared for women, lots of helpful info to be found:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/4601-stronglifts-5x5-for-women

Just be careful: I had good results with Stronglifts 5x5. So good that I began to lift heavier and heavier in a few weeks. Then in one evening I hit PBs on dead lift and pull ups--and developed lateral epicondylitis (Tennis Elbow). It took two years to heal completely.

Beware! Do not be tempted to rush through it.