caloric deficit necessary for "skinny fat" girl?

Options
Is a caloric deficit necessary for a "skinny fat" girl? I'm 120lb at 5'4" (originally 105lbs). A lot that weight is fat, exampled by my pictures. MFP calculated that I should net 1200 calories a day, but it's SO HARD. I try to burn 300 calories a day, but obviously I eat that back + more.

Also, I've only been doing cardio for the past 4 weeks because I don't know how to do anything else. I've noticed a difference in my endurance, but I haven't lost any inches or weight. A YMCA trainer showed me a few strength training machines today--I'm pretty excited to start that.

My question is, as a flabby "skinny" girl, how many calories should I really be eating and burning? Should I reduce cardio and increase weight training when I learn more?

On a different note, my friends are deliberately trying to sabotage me! :laugh: Haha I guess I whine too much about the 1200 cal limit.

2cwr24p.jpg

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Is a caloric deficit necessary for a "skinny fat" girl? I'm 120lb at 5'4" (originally 105lbs). A lot that weight is fat, exampled by my pictures. MFP calculated that I should net 1200 calories a day, but it's SO HARD. I try to burn 300 calories a day, but obviously I eat that back + more.

Also, I've only been doing cardio for the past 4 weeks because I don't know how to do anything else. I've noticed a difference in my endurance, but I haven't lost any inches or weight. A YMCA trainer showed me a few strength training machines today--I'm pretty excited to start that.

My question is, as a flabby "skinny" girl, how many calories should I really be eating and burning? Should I reduce cardio and increase weight training (when I know more)?

On a different note, my friends are deliberately trying to sabotage me! :laugh: Haha I guess I whine too much about the 1200 cal limit.

2cwr24p.jpg

Lower case img
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    Well MFP will give you calories based on your activity level and how much weight you want to lose a week...

With 9lbs the suggested amount per week is 1/2lb

Now the thing is do you want to lose more weight or do you want to look differently?

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/
  • milksibling
    Options
    Looking differently is definitely more important to me than a number. I don't want to sabotage my metabolism with an extreme diet, either.

I tried shoulder press today and was struggling with 10lbs. Pretty sad... So I'll start the 30-day shred after I get some 3lb weights.
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    Looking differently is definitely more important to me than a number. I don't want to sabotage my metabolism with an extreme diet, either.

I tried shoulder press today and was struggling with 10lbs. Pretty sad... So I'll start the 30-day shred after I get some 3lb weights.

That is where I started was 30DS...I used cans of soup or water bottles till I got the weights.

As well probably what you need is a smaller deficet...if you go to http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/ and calculate TDEE that will give you the number of calories to eat at a 10% deficet.

When I entered it at Sedentary is gave 1456 calories a day everyday...but if you workout doing 30DS you get 1668 everyday and not eat back exercise calories...

So if you eat between 1500-1650 everyday and do 30DS a couple times a week you will see the weight go down...and 30DS will knock the inches off...although not sure you really need to lose weight you look like you need to change your body...

My sister is your size and weighs 125lbs and is a size 2...hard everywhere.
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options

30 Day Shred is more cardio, not strength training. Just because you're holding 3 lbs. dumbbells doesn't make it strength training. Pass on more cardio and start a progressive lifting program.
  • milksibling
    Options
    Definitely interested in learning more about lifting! My next appointment with the trainer is in two weeks. Do you think the 30-day shred would improve my strength even by a little in the meantime? At this point I don't think I can even do a push-up...

Also, thank you for the calories tip, Stef!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    switch to a 10% deficit, lift heavy with compound movements, set macros to 40% protein/30% carbs/30% fats..would be my suggestion...

pick up starting strength and/or new rules of lifting for woman...
  • lindsey1979
    lindsey1979 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    Lift heavy -- best thing for someone in your situation who's body weight is already pretty good. I'd also recommend Starting Strength -- the 3x5 program is awesome. You can also add in some sprint sessions once or twice a week. Make sure you get enough protein (I aim for 0.7 g per lb body weight).

As for calorie deficit, you could go either way. Since it seems like you're at a good weight already, I'd just eat at maintenance with the new strength and sprinting sessions. If you feel like your clothes are getting bigger and you're putting on too much fat, then go to the calorie deficit. But, your weight seems pretty good to me already, so I'd focus on recomping rather than trying to lose weight. In fact, if lifting, I'd expect your weight to go up, but you to stay the same size or even get smaller.

Here's some good articles on
    (1) example of lifting for women for someone who was just like you -- she's the same size at 117 bls, 132 and 141 lbs -- just with more muscle -- http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/
    (2) sprints -- http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/par46.htm
  • milksibling
    Options
    Thank you everyone!! I think I'll up my calories to 1600/day for strength training. I'm going to research Starting Strength and New Rules of Lifting for Women now.

Off the bat, would this be a good regime: 2 days weight training/2 days cardio (sprinting) per week? How long should each session be? Let me know if I should move this question to Fitness and Exercise.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone!! I think I'll up my calories to 1600/day for strength training. I'm going to research Starting Strength and New Rules of Lifting for Women now.

Off the bat, would this be a good regime: 2 days weight training/2 days cardio (sprinting) per week? How long should each session be? Let me know if I should move this question to Fitness and Exercise.

depends...some beginners go with three day a week total body routine...I believe that new rules of liftin is more of an A/B program..so you do workout A, rest, Workout B, rest. etc...

Regardless, you should be lifting at least three days a week. I do an upper/lower routine myself ...

I would also limit cardio to once a week ..but if you like it and want to do more then you can...I do one HIIT session a week ...
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    Starting Strength will have a roadmap to guide you in terms of progression. But as a beginner, the focus will be on perfecting form. So training frequency and volume will be low with moderate to heavy intensity. As you get stronger, training frequency and volume will increase.
  • SezxyStef
    Options

30DS actually isn't a bad place to start if you haven't lifted before...I was using 10lb weights at the end and it did help build my strength up with bodyweight exercises...I went from girl pushups to guy pushups in less than 15 days.

As for lifting I do Strong lifts 3x a week...at the start it took 30mins...I am now up to 75mins but a lot of that is rest periods in between sets as I am getting to the heavier weights...ie squat of 180lbs, Dead lifts of 200lbs...so bank on 30mins to start.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/4601-stronglifts-5x5-for-women

There is a good summary of that program in the link above.
  • lindsey1979
    lindsey1979 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options

I found that works for me and I think it would be a great starting program for you. When we were lifting 3 days/week (I do so with my fiance), we just found it to be too much with the sprinting. It felt like we weren't really recovered. So 2 days/week lifting and 2 days/week sprinting works for us, and I also walk/hike a good deal. I think it would be a great start for you.

I prefer 3x5 because you can lift heavier as you go. To me, Stronglifts appears to be a rip off of Starting Strength's 3x5 program with no real explanation for the extra sets. People just notice that with the increased volume, that they hit a ceiling earlier and can't lift as heavy. Otherwise, they're very similar, especially in the beginning.

For sprinting, start off slowly (not in speed, but in time/sets) because you want to give your body time to adapt -- especially the tendons, joints, ligaments. And, if possible, sprint up a hill -- it helps you keep good form (high kick) and reduces potential for injury (easier to slow down). The idea is to sprint at your maximum for the time limit. We started with 3 sets of 8 second sprints -- literally that was all -- with a rest period in between enough to bring heart rate and breathing to normal (usually a couple of mins). Then the next week, we did 4 sets of 8 second sprints. Each week, increase until you're doing 8 sets of 8 seconds. Once you master that, then you can start upping the sprinting time (increase to 10 seconds, etc.). You'll be shocked by how much it works!
  • __freckles__
    __freckles__ Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    Starting Strength will have a roadmap to guide you in terms of progression. But as a beginner, the focus will be on perfecting form. So training frequency and volume will be low with moderate to heavy intensity. As you get stronger, training frequency and volume will increase.

I second reading Starting Strength. I wish I had saved my time/money and read the book first. I learned more reading that book than in any of my personal training sessions. Good place to start for a total newb.
  • jmortel1
    jmortel1 Posts: 8
    Options
    I'm in a very similar situation! I'm super petite (4'11" and +/- 99lbs) and at a healthy weight but really need to change my body's composition. If I figure it out I can post pictures lol, but I'm just really confused about what is best for me at this point. On the one hand, to burn fat I know cardio is more effective but I don't want to actually lose 'weight' just lower my BFP.

I've recently started a lifting program (5x a week, each day different muscle group) and don't know how many calories I should be eating. According to my FitBit, I usually burn about 1500 (with exercise) and have been eating around 1200. My macros are 40/40/20 (c/p/f). Any advice out there? Should I be focusing on cardio? Eating more or less?

Thanks in advance! :)
  • macrotracko
    macrotracko Posts: 25 Member
    Options

It sounds like we have similar starting points so I'll tell you what my trainer has set me up with.

I started at 5'3, 125lbs, and THIRTY-THREE percent body fat. (Yeah.) She put me on a slight deficit - 1500 cals per day at 40% carb 30% protein, and 30% fat. Getting the macros right is important.

I do strength training 3-4 days per week (day on/day off) with a full circuit covering upper, lower, and core, with two minutes of cardio between each exercise. My circuit consists of eleven weight machines because I'm new to lifting and had very little muscle. The reps and weight change every three workouts, easing me up into higher weights. That part is kind of complicated but on average it's around 10 reps on each machine. So two sets, then two minutes of cardio, then on to the next machine, and so on. Overall it takes me a little over an hour with stretching.

I've been doing this for 6 weeks so far. My next BF% scan is in two weeks but the change in my body composition is obvious. Let me know if you have any questions, I'd be happy to share more details.
  • jmortel1
    jmortel1 Posts: 8
    Options
    @macrotracko thanks for sharing your experience! I'd love to hear your results when you get your next bfp scan. I think I might try focusing on a smaller deficit and see how that goes. What were your macros before you started 40/30/30? Do you think it makes a big difference from 40/40/20 ?