Eating lunch out with the office

Options
Jewbe
Jewbe Posts: 25 Member
My office has 4 ladies total and about 1-2 times a month we will all go out somewhere together to get lunch. I don't want to be the one odd ball out stating I don't want to eat out because how calorie dense the food is so I go along. Also it is nice to get out of the office with your co-workers.

I think I did pretty good with my lunch selection. I researched the nutrition menu before going so I would know what to stay away from. We went to Long Horn Steak House & I decided to get their 7-Peppered Steak salad with balsamic vinaigrette dressing. This was a very tasty salad and it made me satisfied but not overly full. I wish there were more things on restaurant’s menus that weren't so calorie dense but also not salads. Does anyone else finds this an issue when eating out? Or have you found any certain restaurants that are better than others?

Replies

• wyattj99
    wyattj99 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I do the same thing...look at the menu before going if I know where we are going and I have time...if not if all fails go for the grilled chicken sandwich with no mayo :)
  • ValeriePlz
    ValeriePlz Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Yes, checking out the menu beforehand is the best idea!

Today I went to a creperie with a buddy and pre-ate a reasonable salad at my desk so I could splurge on a dessert crepe at the restaurant. It was a great idea and saved me from getting something heavy and cheesy for my main course!
  • marissanik
    marissanik Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    If I know in advance that I will be going out to eat, I reserve that as my cheat meal. Otherwise I'm stuck getting a salad.
  • nanakaryn
    nanakaryn Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I face the same problem but my office order take-out. Quite frequently like today. Soemtimes I can't always find the calorie count like today. I opted for two vegetable soft tacos vs. the Chickent Tastada Salad that I usually get which sometimes can clock in at 900 calories. I think I stayed under 400 today. What do you think.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    Some salads are no better than big mac and fries, Longhorn has a salad with fried goat cheese that way up there. A small piece of lean meat with grilled veggies is alway a safe bet. Many have a "lighter portion" menu. but you gotta stay away from the bread. If its a fast food joint the grilled chicken breast beats most salads out but no sugar in the drink and no fries with that either. Beware of salads that don't include the dressing in the calorie ticker.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    Some salads are no better than big mac and fries,

THIS.

I remember traveling for work and ending up at a Chilis. I researched ahead of time and several salads were clocking in around 1,000 calories. Luckily most places have some sort of protein/veg combo (grilled chicken or salmon and veg) that won't break the calorie bank. Although even Carrabba's small grilled salmon and vegetables clocks in at 800-odd calories. I generally don't eat at chains so it is always a crapshoot for me when I eat out without having any nutritional info available.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    I am so happy the Italian restaurant we usually go to just put a few new specials on. They now have grilled chicken with either broccoli or spinach and have also expanded the selection of meats you can have on top on salads to include grilled calamari and grilled salmon. I was getting sick of grilled chicken salad.
  • tonyrocks922
    tonyrocks922 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Why eat a salad if you don't want to?. Looking at the place you went to the salad you had was 520 calories. There are plenty of other reasonable options on the lunch menu:

Lunch Meals:
    Flo's Filet 6 oz. 390 Calories
    Renegade Sirloin 6oz 350 Calories
    Renegade Sirloin 8oz 410 Calories
    Renegade Sirloin 11oz 510 Calories
    Grilled Chicken & Stuffed Portabella 430 Calories
    LongHorn Salmon 290 Calories

Sides:
    Fresh Vegetable Medley 90
    Roasted Golden Beets 140
    Fresh Green Beans 30
    Fresh Steamed Asparagus 80
    Strawberry Pecan Salad with dressing 190
  • Jewbe
    Jewbe Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I didn't realize the Sirloin 6oz was so low in calories. I didn't even think to look at the steaks. I really try to keep my lunch no higher than 500 calories if possible.

The reason I mentioned salad is because sometimes it feels that is the only thing that you can find at some places that aren't loaded in calories. Grilled chicken/steak or even fish salad gets boring real quick.

Thanks for the tips!