Low fat or full fat

Options
Evening all well it is here in the UK.

Do you guys eat full fat foods or low fat IE oil butter mayo, cheese. I go for the full because it tastes so much better but have less of it than low fat which is full of crap. Just wondered what others think.

Replies

• WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    Butter, cheese = full fat
    Cottage cheese, cream cheese, yogurt = fat free
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    I don't eat dairy, but i still think the full fat is better than the fat free, just be careful not to over eat on anything fatty.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    I prefer the taste of full fat, but oftentimes low fat is lower on calories too. So it really depends on what fits in my diary. I don't have issues with either, generally.
  • RainRedfield
    RainRedfield Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I no longer eat any of the items you listed. That being said, often sugar is used in place of the fat so I would choose full fat in most cases.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    I go for 2% milk. But full butter, oil, mayo. Greek yogurt is either 0 fat or 2% just because those are the only two choices I think.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Whatever fits in my macros for the day. I have full-fat everything except milk, just because I drink so much of it.
  • accebersmith
    accebersmith Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    The milk I drink is full fat. I drink one cup a day, in my two cups of coffee. As I told my nutritionist (who insists I should be drinking skim milk), I didn't get obese by drinking a cup of whole milk a day.

My yogurt is non-fat, and my cottage cheese is 2%. When I add cheese, which is pretty rare, it's usually full fat, but I use a smaller quantity.

When I use butter (which, again, is rare), I use garden variety, full fat butter. This also makes my nutritionist crazy, but that's okay, because I'm still losing a pound a week, despite hypothyroidism. My blood panels are fabulous.
  • MelanieMamaof5
    MelanieMamaof5 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    That all depends on what they add to "low fat" or "fat free" in order to make up for taking the fat out (i.e. artificial sweeteners, etc). Always air on the side of more natural. You will find that the more "good for you" a food seems, the worse off it really is for you. Take for instance health/protein bars. Most of them are FULL of crap (hydrogenated oils, corn syrups, high fructose corn syrups, etc.) That's my two cents.
  • lthames0810
    lthames0810 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    Full fat everything.

And real sweeteners, mostly honey.
  • Marcia315
    Marcia315 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Full fat.
  • plipsurt
    plipsurt Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Personally I go for as natural as possible and therefore wouldn't touch all that 'low-fat' additive loaded stuff. I have butter, not spread, full fat Greek yoghurt, I make my own salad dressings with olive oil. Like you, I have a little less but am happy to do that rather than fill my body with additives that cannot possibly be good for me.
  • KellySue67
    KellySue67 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    I like regular butter, but usually do 1%milk, 2% greek yogurt and low fat cheese. It just seems to fit my daily intake better.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    Depends on how many calories I have. I prefer full fat, but if I'm low on calories than I'll opt for the low fat alternative.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Low fat for most things, but I'll have some full fat cheese once in a while, and I use (rarely) regular butter. Mostly I can't really tell a difference in taste for most things, so I don't really care for the extra calories.
  • kuolo
    kuolo Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Full fat, just less of it! I think it's good to have some fat in your diet. Except for milk in my tea, I hate the taste of full fat milk!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Mostly full fat, but I usually get 1% cottage cheese and after years and years of buying skim can't yet get my head around non skim milk (I don't really drink milk much anyway, just use it in things). I'm not interested in reduced fat cheese, but I mostly like to save cheese for special occasions and eat the fancy ones anyway.
  • rlt219
    rlt219 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Full fat is more "natural", they tend to replace the fat with sugar to get the taste back. When I ate dairy products I would ALWAYS go for full fat, though it was hard to find non low fat things sometimes
  • corgarian
    corgarian Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Full Fat

But I also eat as few processed foods as possible so if it's in the grocery isles I wont go near it, that **** is just full of things my body can do without.
  • Ontario1450
    Ontario1450 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm voting for full fat. But I'm on low-carb diet.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    I don't feed from the toilet, so my food isn't "full of crap", even when it's low fat.

"If it fits your macros".

Though right now I'm not TOO bothered by fat/carb ratios - always make sure I get appropriate protein.

I often go for low fat options because it allows me to be more flexible in situations where I've got limited calories.

Unfortunately Rocbola, as ever, shows a basic lack of understanding of the very basics of 'food' and 'nutrition'.
    First user that has (now) pushed me to find the 'ignore' function :(.